The Student Room Group

Is A level maths even possible with this grade?

Is it possible to get by at A level Maths with having only achieved a B grade at GCSE, well to be specific, be able to achieve at least a B?

Or is it too big of a jump for a B grade student, to go from GCSE to A Level
Original post by Vb994
Is it possible to get by at A level Maths with having only achieved a B grade at GCSE, well to be specific, be able to achieve at least a B?

For me personally, I think it is not possible to get a B in A-level maths if you've got a B at GCSE.
However, if you are good at maths naturally and this GCSE exam may have been a bad day and you do believe you could've gotten an A at GCSE or even an A* if you worked harder or if you revised more, then yes, you will be able to do a-level maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Vb994

There was one person with a B who got a B at AS in my year, but a lot of the others achieved around a D, or dropped out.

I would say the chances aren't great.
Original post by Vb994

well if you got a B in maths they would recommend The Use Of Maths, however you do have a chance to do A level maths by taking the algebra test they give at the start of the year.
Hoped this helped
Original post by Vb994

A mate of mine got a C at GCSE maths and ended up with an A at AS level. It really is whether your bothered to work for a good grade. That means listening in class, revising at home and most importantly taking time to work your way through past papers. Anything is possible if you put your mind to it.
Original post by Vb994

I got an A in GCSE Maths on my third try.

Got an A* in A level Maths

Your college should allow you to do it even if you don't pass maths.

A level maths is different with it being much more interesting and where students begin to develop their passion for the subject and other subjects such as physics and chemistry.

You may even want to do Further Maths.

GCSEs aren't everything.
You are more mature at A level and know what to do to obtain high grades.

I have no A*s at GCSE 😞
Reply 6
Original post by Maths is Life
I got an A in GCSE Maths on my third try.

Got an A* in A level Maths

Your college should allow you to do it even if you don't pass maths.

A level maths is different with it being much more interesting and where students begin to develop their passion for the subject and other subjects such as physics and chemistry.

You may even want to do Further Maths.

GCSEs aren't everything.
You are more mature at A level and know what to do to obtain high grades.

I have no A*s at GCSE 😞

What were your results overall? This is inspirational when I read it
Reply 7
Easily possible in my opinion. People don't try that hard at GCSE so it doesn't give much of an indication.
Original post by Rajive
What were your results overall? This is inspirational when I read it

Inspirational? You're avin me on m8.
I got AAB in Maths, Further Maths and Economics.

If you cash in my maths results now which are 588/600 I have an A* for A level Maths.

I am also hoping and confident for my A* in further maths and why not economics.

Also may enter myself randomly for the physics A level.
Reply 9
Original post by Maths is Life
Inspirational? You're avin me on m8.
I got AAB in Maths, Further Maths and Economics.

If you cash in my maths results now which are 588/600 I have an A* for A level Maths.

I am also hoping and confident for my A* in further maths and why not economics.

Also may enter myself randomly for the physics A level.

What about GCSE results
Hello,
I got a B at GCSE maths 2 years ago and just got an at A in A level maths in results last week. However the B at GCSE was with not studying at all and paying no attention in class for most of year 10/11. If I studied really hard at GCSE and still only got a B then I wouldn't have done A level maths.
Original post by Vb994

Think it depends on the person tbh. I got a B at GCSE and then a U in AS Maths, I'm not going to lie and say I worked mega hard, because I didn't, I understood it, got D/C on end of topic tests but then my teacher said I'd never get that in the real exam, so stopped doing an extra work because I knew I was going to drop it (not the right attitude to have). If you're willing to put the work in and extra hours then go for it, nothing is impossible until you try!
Original post by Vb994

It's definitely possible. My Sixth Form only required a B in GCSE Maths for A Level Maths. If you put in the work then you can make the jump from GCSE to A Level.
Original post by Vb994

I made a video answering this exact question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18tZswvlLr4
Original post by Rajive
What about GCSE results

I really dont want to mention my gcse results but here goes:
Pls don't judge

Mathematics - A
Core Science - B
Further Additional Science - B
French - B
iGCSE Further Maths - B
English Language - C
English Literature - C
Additional Science - C
History - C
Engineering - C
ICT - PASS - 2GCSEs

Some sidenotes/excuses
I know I'm stupid.
Engineering was flippin hard.
History is so dull.
French messed with my head.
I dgaf about ICT...

I'm just glad I passed english - I would hate to resit anything at college.

The thing is - I was considered one of the bright ones - guess I let it get to me...

Edit: The points I'm trying to make is that most people do not revise for GCSEs let alone to the best of their ability.
You need to revise in the long term for everthing due to the fact GCSEs bombard you with exams.
One day I may resit my GCSEs with the new number system for a laugh.

I don't even remember the specification for Further Maths GCSE but I know for a fact GCSE Maths is now child's play for me.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
B is a stretch certainly, but not impossible. A lot of work req'd. One thing I've noticed on these boards is that everyone is obsessed with grades. I know that's not your fault, that's the way the system is. What you need to consider is whether you feel you truly understand maths and enjoy it. If so, the grades will follow. Can you explain why we solve a quadratic equation? Why 7^0=1? That's the kind of thing you need to understand to succeed at A-level.
I got a B at GCSE and a B at AS defo possible just don't be lazy!!!

Quick Reply

Latest