The Student Room Group

What graduate starting salary would you be happy with?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by loooopppyyy
Anything over living wage, so anything over £14,976 ..... :tongue:

Edited to LOL over the fantasy wages people are posting, unless your working in finance over £30k is more of a realistic target for the 3-5 year mark.

Trainee solicitors are almost always paid more than £30k in their first year. It isn't just finance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
£25k minimum but i want to work at a top tech company like google, so around £35-40k+
Original post by loooopppyyy
Anything over living wage, so anything over £14,976 ..... :tongue:

Edited to LOL over the fantasy wages people are posting, unless your working in finance over £30k is more of a realistic target for the 3-5 year mark.

There are other jobs in which you can earn £30k as a starting salary.
You can't ask such a general question as it varies so much depending on location. For example you can live like royalty on £22k in the North East, but that salary in London would see you living in poverty.

Basic salary isn't the be all end all anyway. I work in Finance so i'll always have lots of overtime and an end of year bonus to supplement my income. I'd also look into thing like progression opportunities & pay structure. A lot of companies will pay you a pittance on probation and then it shoots up when you're trained or have passed exams.

For a new graduate i'd say a decent starting salary would be £27,000 for London and £22,000 anywhere else.
As long as im happy with the job I have I dont really care too much about my starting salary.

I do hope my salary raises to around 40/50k when im older so I can live comfortably once i'm a bit older.
Ideally around £40k
Reply 66
Original post by Princepieman
Well, people do... I know some whose first year compensation was that or more. Just not common and incredibly hard to get those jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

People also win the lottery but I'd not have any expectations of doing so.*
Original post by Reue
People also win the lottery but I'd not have any expectations of doing so.*

Not talking about expectations here, I'm just saying that people do land those gigs and it's certainly not like winning the lottery.

I find having an expectation stupid unless it's backed up by a specific field of interest and specific companies of interest. Otherwise it's like saying, I expect to have model like looks tomorrow..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Conzy210
Trainee solicitors are almost always paid more than £30k in their first year. It isn't just finance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on the firm and location. Trainees in Scotland get shafted

Posted from TSR Mobile
London
£39,000+ would be nice
Something around about 16-25k. I'm aiming to go into the charity sector or academia, neither of which have particularly high salaries, but I'm not particularly fussed about that so long as I have enough money to live comfortably where I am in the country. I'm getting paid for taking my PhD though, which is a nice start!
Original post by RDKGames
25k a minimum. Could barter for something higher since maths is so desired. :colone:

Your degree is purely there to tick a box - it is work experience, internships, extra curriculars, etc that count.

It seems that you are one of the countless, mindless, entitled sheep who think they will immediately fall into a high paying grad job just on the basis of their degree. If anything maths is overrated as it contains very little in terms of vocational and transferable skills.
Original post by #ChaosKass
Your degree is purely there to tick a box - it is work experience, internships, extra curriculars, etc that count.

It seems that you are one of the countless, mindless, entitled sheep who think they will immediately fall into a high paying grad job just on the basis of their degree. If anything maths is overrated as it contains very little in terms of vocational and transferable skills.

I blame the schooling system, it puts so much stress on 'qualifications'.

I tried applying for so much part time work throughout my Uni career unsuccessfully. I knew for a fact after graduating I was in for an uphill battle. My sister is 2 years younger than me and earning significantly more with no degree.

Her 1 year of retail work experience is worth far more than my 4 year degree.

I want to prove myself at a real job before I even expect anything like 20k.
Forget comparing numbers..

the experience/route to progression is far more important then the salary of your first job.

A few grand a year is not important when you graduate.. what is important is having a clear route to your end goal, and to where you actually want to be in the future.

18k - with a clear plan for progression is much better then 25k in a job which does not give good transferable experience or a route forward.
25k would be epic.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
25k would be epic.

I second this!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AngryRedhead
£30K outside of London unless it's medicine

What does medicine graduate outside London get?
When I finally "graduate" from my doctorate (I'll be in uni until then), it'll be around £35k

Quick Reply

Latest