The Student Room Group

investment banking summer internship q&a

Scroll to see replies

Congratulations on the offer!

Were there any interns from non-target uni's?
If so, what do you think (or know) made them stand out apart from all the EC etc?
How much did you practise for the numerical tests?
Original post by gr8wizard10
just completed and converted my summer internship into a ft position.

if anyone has any questions, i'd be happy to answer

When you say you worked a lot in evenings, could you just take work home with you and work at home?

+ the amount of effort you put in during the evenings, could you say this set you apart from the rest to get your offer?

(congrats + thanks for taking the time to answer our q's)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AenigmaFx
Congratulations on the offer!

Were there any interns from non-target uni's?
If so, what do you think (or know) made them stand out apart from all the EC etc?
How much did you practise for the numerical tests?

not in m&a

n/a

enough to consistently average 90+, maybe everyday for about 2 weeks prior to applying (but did these only for sws, these tests are generally piss easy)

Original post by Dante991
When you say you worked a lot in evenings, could you just take work home with you and work at home?

+ the amount of effort you put in during the evenings, could you say this set you apart from the rest to get your offer?

(congrats + thanks for taking the time to answer our q's)

Posted from TSR Mobile

no, because of confidentiality

not really, because others were there grinding out too, what I would say maybe set me apart is my diligence (taking time to check every piece of work 3x times to assure quality of information) and efficiency (knowing shortcuts etc.. to do works quickly and less prone to making errors)

thank you & no problem
(edited 7 years ago)

Were there many privately educated interns amongst you and in your sector working for the firm?
Original post by timster32
Were there many privately educated interns amongst you and in your sector working for the firm?

yes, it would make sense as many of the people are recruited from top unis who have quite a high % of privately educated students
What did you get for your A Levels and GCSEs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DamnDaniel2
What did you get for your A Levels and GCSEs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

gcse's were mainly a's & b's
a levels a*a*a
gcse's were mainly a's & b's
a levels a*a*a

Really good! Do you think 2A*s 6As 1B and a C could stop me from becoming an IB?

After a remark it's likely to go up to 5-6A*s 2-3As and 1-2Bs however I'm just wondering about the first set of results :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really good! Do you think 2A*s 6As 1B and a C could stop me from becoming an IB?

After a remark it's likely to go up to 5-6A*s 2-3As and 1-2Bs however I'm just wondering about the first set of results :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

well i had a c in geography.. i don't think anyone but uni's care about your gcses (it's literally a non-issue)

generally it's your a levels that you need above ABB or something like this which banks look at as minimum requirement
well i had a c in geography.. i don't think anyone but uni's care about your gcses (it's literally a non-issue)

generally it's your a levels that you need above ABB or something like this which banks look at as minimum requirement

Ah ok! Thought so :smile: what are the hours like in m&a compared to s&t?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah ok! Thought so :smile: what are the hours like in m&a compared to s&t?

Posted from TSR Mobile

s&t maybe 10-12 hours a day
m&a 15-17 hours a day

What would you like to do be doing in five years time, for example, using IB as a stepping stone to Hedge Funds or maybe work your way up the ladder, maybe start your own business?
Original post by timster32
What would you like to do be doing in five years time, for example, using IB as a stepping stone to Hedge Funds or maybe work your way up the ladder, maybe start your own business?

not sure, toyed with the idea of private equity / leaving the industry and pursuing financial journalism - or if I get comfortable and like what I do even stay on in banking
Reply 53
s&t maybe 10-12 hours a day
m&a 15-17 hours a day

hi and congrats again

sorry if this has been asked, but what bank were you interning at?

and what areas of IB are there, what others were available at the bank.
Reply 54
congrats g

for somehow who's undecided on markets vs ibd. how will you break this down for me in terms of making a decision? swaying to ibd because my priority is landing a summer intern and with the conversion numbers for markets these days...

what made you move from s&t to ibd?
Original post by makrxx
congrats g

for somehow who's undecided on markets vs ibd. how will you break this down for me in terms of making a decision? swaying to ibd because my priority is landing a summer intern and with the conversion numbers for markets these days...

what made you move from s&t to ibd?

didn't enjoy S&T, and it didn't provide me with the business depth that a career in IBD does. there's not much transferable skills in s&t imo, and I don't imagine id stay in banking forever.
Original post by 1234ASD
hi and congrats again

sorry if this has been asked, but what bank were you interning at?

and what areas of IB are there, what others were available at the bank.

won't say due to keeping anon,

there are many areas, you can search any big banks website for the breakdown.. would probably be better than me explaining
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 57
didn't enjoy S&T, and it didn't provide me with the business depth that a career in IBD does. there's not much transferable skills in s&t imo, and I don't imagine id stay in banking forever.

having shadowed on 2 desks on the trading floor, i felt the nature of the job was essentially being the middleman for parties who come to you asking for prices etc. personally i think i'll enjoy being able to research companies, understanding them. (though the people i know that can help me are in s&t, so that's a stumbling decision block for me...)

as for excel and ppt knowledge, would it be very in-depth? i assume vlookup is the most basic thing you'll have to know in comparison?
Reply 58
Time for the important question: what's in your quick toolbar in the top left of ppt.
Original post by ib101
Time for the important question: what's in your quick toolbar in the top left of ppt.

haha for ppt i had

align, link to file for client logos, shape fill, edit data (for charts), format data series, model slides
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending