The Student Room Group

Is £100ish pounds enough to live off per week as a student?

Scroll to see replies

Lol i live off 250 a month
Original post by loooopppyyy
This genuinely feels like the twilight zone, op is either a massive troll or has extremely expensive tastes :biggrin:

Meanwhile in the real world, single people that work being paid living wage 45 hours a week and pay rent, usually end up with around £20-50 disposable income per week!

I like the finer things in life and want to experience the full university experience. Don't want to be scraping by.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had around £50 a week to spend at uni and I found this to be plenty! I spent around £17/£18 on food and the rest could go on whatever I wanted.
So I was fine and as long as you keep an eye on what you're spending you should be too
Reply 23
I keep a family of 5 and 3 dogs on around £140 a week, you'll be fine.
Original post by newsunflower
Christ? £17, what if you wanted to a buy a dress that was on sale? Couldn't deal with that at all.

I dont get this? In my time I did not go to Uni to be worried about dress or suit for that matte, I was more worried to be able to afford to feed myself at least 3x a day after all uni expenses.

For your question a spare £100 a week will definitely see you through nicely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
If you have that much in savings then YAH you'll be fine!
Original post by coolstudentdad
I dont get this? In my time I did not go to Uni to be worried about dress or suit for that matte, I was more worried to be able to afford to feed myself at least 3x a day after all uni expenses.

For your question a spare £100 a week will definitely see you through nicely.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Food isn't an issue at all as I'm catered.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anonymouspie227
Lol i live off 250 a month

HOW. I could easily spend that much in a week, if not less.
You already know the answer to your question. Stop crying for attention.
I lived on £80 a week in London self catered. I still had plenty of money left over after food (which I rarely spent anything more than £20-25 a week on) and going to the football most weeks, which was anything up to £15 a week.
Original post by ivybridge
You already know the answer to your question. Stop crying for attention.

I have no idea, because I see people trying to *survive* on £17 and I don't want that. I want a comfortable lifestyle at university.
Original post by newsunflower
I have no idea, because I see people trying to *survive* on £17 and I don't want that. I want a comfortable lifestyle at university.

It's plenty. A lot of people liev on far less and manage.
Put the savings in dividend generating stocks, it will provide extra income, plus the capital gain most stocks possess over a long period.

I would just stick with the top 6 high yielders on the FTSE 100, the £14,000 in itself will generate £800 in dividends a year alone. So that's an extra £65 a month for doing nothing.
I can advise you on where to put your money, usually the stocks yielding high in the FTSE 100, have been through some sort of correction and so are reasonably priced based on P/E metrics.

If you want to be more defensive, you can obviously go into consumer stables, stuff like your British American Tobacco, Unilever, Reckitt Benckisser, Diageo, National Grid. These will however have marginally less dividend and less growth, but won't tank (as much) if the markets decide to go into bear territory or correction.
A lot of FTSE 100 stocks are going ex dividend this and next month, so it may be worthwhile looking into that as well. The income from dividends is not a steady £65 a month, you will most likely get a lump sum £300-£400 around october/november time and the remaining in May.
I survived on £20-£50 a week. And I was comfortable. You'll be fine :K:
(edited 7 years ago)
It would be an extreme struggle, especially if you wanted to enjoy uni life in full. I was given a budget of £1000 a week by my parents, post accommodation (catered) and uni fees paid for, of course. At first I was OK, because I was also using my £100,000 university trust fund.

In the last year though, I was really struggling. During the last semester I only went out fine dining once a week, and actually skipped lunch rather than go to the same shops the other students went to, especially as it's such a step down from having lunch at exclusive restaurants where you have to book months in advance for a reservation.

I also decided to not renew my membership at Wentworth Golf Club as it was eating into my savings, but the final straw was when I stopped shopping at Waitrose and bought Tesco Finest food instead for my snacks. So glad I don't have to keep to a budget any more.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BobsTheBuilder
It would be an extreme struggle, especially if you wanted to enjoy uni life in full. I was given a budget of £1000 a week by my parents, post accommodation (catered) and uni fees paid for, of course. At first I was OK, because I was also using my £100,000 university trust fund. In the last year though, I was really struggling. I think in the last semester I only went out fine dining once a week, and actually skipped lunch rather than go to the same shops the other students went to, especially as it's such a step down from having lunch at exclusive restaurants where you have to book months in advance for a reservation. I also decided to not renew my membership at Wentworth Gold Club as it was eating into my savings, but the final straw was when I stopped shopping at Waitrose and bought Tesco Finest food instead for my snacks. So glad I don't have to keep to a budget any more.

lol, you even edited your post.

Too funny
Original post by momoneyme89
Put the savings in dividend generating stocks, it will provide extra income, plus the capital gain most stocks possess over a long period.

I would just stick with the top 6 high yielders on the FTSE 100, the £14,000 in itself will generate £800 in dividends a year alone. So that's an extra £65 a month for doing nothing.

I can advise you on where to put your money, usually the stocks yielding high in the FTSE 100, have been through some sort of correction and so are reasonably priced based on P/E metrics.

If you want to be more defensive, you can obviously go into consumer stables, stuff like your British American Tobacco, Unilever, Reckitt Benckisser, Diageo, National Grid. These will however have marginally less dividend and less growth, but won't tank (as much) if the markets decide to go into bear territory or correction.

A lot of FTSE 100 stocks are going ex dividend this and next month, so it may be worthwhile looking into that as well. The income from dividends is not a steady £65 a month, you will most likely get a lump sum £300-£400 around october/november time and the remaining in May.

I don't understand any of this.
lol, you even edited your post.

Too funny

Yes, I felt I didn't explain enough of how bad it got near the end.

Believe me, extreme budgeting when you have to study is not ideal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending