The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vincrows
Most definitely.
And post a pic of you wearing it on this thread.
I'll check if it's appropriate style for formals for you.
Oh, and don't fogert to shave your legs.

wotto.
Ill use paint like back in the days IT in primary skool.
Original post by physicsmaths
wotto.
Ill use paint like back in the days IT in primary skool.

Real photo, please.
I need to see the real thing to check properly, not your artistic version.
We all know you have a phone that takes photo.
Original post by sayswho
Thanks for posting that! My college hasn't sent me any work (yet) but I'm going to give the natsci booklet a go anyway.

No problem. I’ve not been sent anything yet either but stumbled across that page by accident. I’d be surprised if they didn’t point me to it fairly soon so I think I’m pretty safe starting on the workbook. Currently just starting the Functions and Curves section.
Original post by Mathemagicien
yh i know. but you really think u can use letters in maths?? lol. okay then, tell me wot x times y is.

That's why I always use them little numbers, like x3,y1x_3, y^{-1}, so people actually know what numbers I'm talking bout.
Is it normal for parents to come to see ur room etc.........
Reply 585
Original post by Axiomara

Like... for your parents to visit? Yeah pretty normal. My parents live fairly close to Cambridge so come see me once or twice a term.
Original post by alow
Like... for your parents to visit? Yeah pretty normal. My parents live fairly close to Cambridge so come see me once or twice a term.

No, for them to travel with u on the first day and drop u off.
Reply 587

Of course it is lol

Because you usually have to empty your room for holiday at the end of every term and bring back the stuff in a new term, most parent/s have to provide free removal service to their kids 6 times a year. So many parents do have a chance to see what their son/daughter's room is like, probably more than they want to.......

And yes, as @alow said many parents visit their kid during a term, too, and it's ok for them to go in to their room and eat in a college's cafe/bar.
Students can also invite their parents for a dinner/formal (private one. not the ones organized by college/dept/club etc for students/members), too.

If your parents want to stay overnight in a college, they also have a guestroom for visitors which a member of college (like you) can book.
Because you usually have to empty your room for holiday at the end of every term and bring back the stuff in a new term, most parent/s have to provide free removal service to their kids 6 times a year. So many parents do have a chance to see what their son/daughter's room is like, probably more than they want to.......

And yes, as @alow said many parents visit their kid during a term, too, and it's ok for them to go in to their room and eat in a college's cafe/bar.
Students can also invite their parents for a dinner/formal (private one. not the ones organized by college/dept/club etc for students/members), too.

If your parents want to stay overnight in a college, they also have a guestroom for visitors which a member of college (like you) can book.

Thank you again vincrows
Thank you again vincrows

You're most welcome.:

So you'll have to stay nice to your parents until you graduate, or you'll have to carry all your stuff, including duvet, pillow (unless your college provides one, and it's not too grubby....), bed linens (unless you choose to loan theirs with extra cost, usually), towels on top of usual clothes/shoes, books, stationery, toiletries, etc. etc....and a bike unless you/re leaving it at a college (providing they allow it) all by yourself. :wink:

Just as an extra info,
You can usually leave a small amount of your belongings over holiday, usually in a part of wardrobe that's lockable.
In some colleges, especially for older students, they sometimes have some storage space for holiday time. But NEVER large enough to leave all the stuff.
Also, from the second year onwards, if you live in a college-owned house, you can often leave all your belonging there as they don't lent out the houses during holiday.
But these things vary from college to college.
(edited 7 years ago)

That's fine. It's called the parent taxi. Most parents will be doing it - especially because students aren't allowed their own cars.

It's only not normal if they want to stay on for Freshers Week...
Original post by jneill
That's fine. It's called the parent taxi. Most parents will be doing it - especially because students aren't allowed their own cars.

It's only not normal if they want to stay on for Freshers Week...

A sort of parents who want to sit with their kid at interview......:tongue:
Reply 593
A sort of parents who want to sit with their kid at interview......:tongue:

Such a great way to show how your children are all grown up and can cope at university :tongue:
You're most welcome.:

So you'll have to stay nice to your parents until you graduate, or you'll have to carry all your stuff, including duvet, pillow (unless your college provides one, and it's not too grubby....), bed linens (unless you choose to loan theirs with extra cost, usually), towels on top of usual clothes/shoes, books, stationery, toiletries, etc. etc....and a bike unless you/re leaving it at a college (providing they allow it) all by yourself. :wink:

Just as an extra info,
You can usually leave a small amount of your belongings over holiday, usually in a part of wardrobe that's lockable.
In some colleges, especially for older students, they sometimes have some storage space for holiday time. But NEVER large enough to leave all the stuff.
Also, from the second year onwards, if you live in a college-owned house, you can often leave all your belonging there as they don't lent out the houses during holiday.
But these things vary from college to college.

That with the houses is good to know. My college has a storage locker i think.
My parents are moving to somewhere kinda far away, so i think this will be the last time they help me carry stuff, unfortunately (or luckily?)

Also what do you think is a suitable monthly allowance if one is careful with money, excluding the cost of food and a bike?. Ill try to make breakfast myself, lunch when i can, buy as much as possible with discount, etc etc
Original post by sweeneyrod
First thought on getting the NatSci/CompSci maths booklet - I'm basically half a mathmo, I don't need to do this!

After looking at it - wait, how do I factorise x^3 - 1? What's the factor theorem help

My life rn :rofl:
Original post by Serine Soul
I got stuck on that too :/

There's harder questions coming as well

@C0balt did you get your head around that last partial fractions? I just left it

Oh yeah I was talking about that with Sam
Apparently when the denominator is quadratic the numerator takes the form bx+c (the power is one less than the power in the denominator)
That with the houses is good to know. My college has a storage locker i think.
My parents are moving to somewhere kinda far away, so i think this will be the last time they help me carry stuff, unfortunately (or luckily?)

Also what do you think is a suitable monthly allowance if one is careful with money, excluding the cost of food and a bike?. Ill try to make breakfast myself, lunch when i can, buy as much as possible with discount, etc etc

Our daughter was 2011 matriculation and graduated last year already,, so cost of living is a bit different now.
She used to live on a budget of a bit over £2,000 per term including accommodation and other college's charges , I think.
She's quite careful with money, too, and she had her breakfast in her room, as she was a rower and had to go to their early morning training at 5:30/6:00. The college cafe/buttery isnt open for breakfast that early. In the first year,,she hardly cooked hersel, but in second/third year, she cooked as much as she could.
She had quite a few formals, probably a bit more than average, and always went to 2 May Balls a year, so we topped up with some extra she needed.
All I know is how much we paid to her bank account in total each term, and have no idea how much money she used on what, I'm afraid......

She had her own bike, so no cost for it, though. No need for college bike park,,if that's what your asking about.

If your parents are abroad and you don't have anyone to help with transport of your belongings, I'm pretty sure your college would allow you to leave your stuff during holiday (just like international students), but this kind of rule/custom varies from college to college, you need to discuss with your college when you get there.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by alow
Such a great way to show how your children are all grown up and can cope at university :tongue:

Or it could be that their kid is grown-up alright but they just can't let go. :tongue:
Out buying suits atm. Somehow it still doesn't feel real

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
My life rn :rofl:

Oh yeah I was talking about that with Sam
Apparently when the denominator is quadratic the numerator takes the form bx+c (the power is one less than the power in the denominator)

Yeah, if your denominator in the partial fraction expansion is a polynomial of degree n, then your denominator should be of degree n-1.

Of course, you could just split everything into linear complexes and partial fraction that... but might be cheating.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending