The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Not_a_horse
Thanks for that guys, it's quite reassuring, BTW does imperial use UKCAT anymore I didn't see anything about it on their website, fingers crossed for the BMAT :crossedf:

Imperial takes the BMAT. They tend to have cut-off scores for each section
Original post by Not_a_horse
Thanks for that guys, it's quite reassuring, BTW does imperial use UKCAT anymore I didn't see anything about it on their website, fingers crossed for the BMAT :crossedf:

They use the BMAT.
is there any point in revising decision analysis if it isn't getting marked
Hi guys,
What do you think is the best technique for identifying patterns in the AR section? I know a few people have a mnemonic for the things they look out for so if you could please help me out I would be very grateful. :smile:
Is there any point in revising decision making as it is not getting marked
What did people get in medify mock 1?
hey guys how did people find official mock B? I got 63% on VR, 50% on AR and QR. I made some really stupid mistakes on QR I wont make again but I heard there are screaming patterns in AR without many secondary rules. How true is this? And is QR easier than the mocks in the real thing?
Original post by Pinder_xx
Is there any point in revising decision making as it is not getting marked

not really

I have yet to see a person on TSR who took it seriously, I used 10 minutes of it for a quick break and practised a few QR questions and wrote down a few things for AR, then skipped all the questions and ended the review.

Not really much point, much more important to focus on the other sections ☺️ on the day you can either spend the 30 minutes or so relaxing, or trying out the decision analysis questions. Obviously ukcat want people to take it seriously but it's about what makes you feel best on the day :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by studentleah
Hi guys,
What do you think is the best technique for identifying patterns in the AR section? I know a few people have a mnemonic for the things they look out for so if you could please help me out I would be very grateful. :smile:

Use this method:

(S)hape
(C)olour
(A)rrangement
(N)umber
(S)ize

Prioritise them in order of Shape, Colour, Size, Arrangement and Size.

When looking at a set, look at the simplest box to avoid allowing distractor shapes to get in the way of you identifying the pattern. Then say to yourself, is there something which is being repeated in all the other boxes for that set? Is there a particular shape? Is there always a shape arranged in the top right hand corner? Is the triangle always bigger than the circle?

Sometimes looking at the two simplest boxes between set A and B can help you identify a difference in the pattern. Remember, it's always possible to find similarities in the pattern between both sets but don't let it put you off, keep looking for a difference.

Then after say, you've completed all the AR questions in your book, construct a mind map of all the patterns you've come across (give each pattern a section that corresponds with SCANS) and make sure you memorise the sh*t out of them. Every time to come across a new pattern add it to this mind map too; ideally use an A3 piece of paper so you have a lot of space. Memorising the patterns might not seem like it helps much; but I watched a lecture once by a psychologist who said that sometimes if you've learnt something off by heart and you see something that triggers your memory of it, you will remember what it is even though you may not have consciously been thinking about it. So for example, if you're looking through a set and you're not thinking of a particular pattern you've come across before, your brain will remember it and remind you of if! Pretty cool, huh?

One last piece of advice. Start off by trying to identify patters in untimed conditions, there's no need to rush yourself so much otherwise you won't be able to identify patterns. Then, slowly, ease yourself into timed conditions. IMO don't start timed conditions until you've got a mind map of at least 30 different patterns in total.

Hope this helps.

no. a lot of people who have done the ukcat already have used it for toilet breaks and to get their head around QR which is the next section. no point wasting time revisiong for something you wont be scored on
Original post by michaela__
Not really much point, much more important to focus on the other sections ☺️ on the day you can either spend the 30 minutes or so relaxing, or trying out the decision analysis questions. Obviously ukcat want people to take it seriously but it's about what makes you feel best on the day :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

100% agreed :biggrin:
Original post by xJessScott
no. a lot of people who have done the ukcat already have used it for toilet breaks and to get their head around QR which is the next section. no point wasting time revisiong for something you wont be scored on

thanks
can you get a good ukcat score just by using the ukcat website or do you have to use medify, kkaplan etc.
got a 700 roughly on mock C. is this on course for higher in real thing or about same? QR I found very hard and heard its easier and AR has less convoluted patterns?
Original post by ASTK98
Use this method:

(S)hape
(C)olour
(A)rrangement
(N)umber
(S)ize

Prioritise them in order of Shape, Colour, Size, Arrangement and Size.

When looking at a set, look at the simplest box to avoid allowing distractor shapes to get in the way of you identifying the pattern. Then say to yourself, is there something which is being repeated in all the other boxes for that set? Is there a particular shape? Is there always a shape arranged in the top right hand corner? Is the triangle always bigger than the circle?

Sometimes looking at the two simplest boxes between set A and B can help you identify a difference in the pattern. Remember, it's always possible to find similarities in the pattern between both sets but don't let it put you off, keep looking for a difference.

Then after say, you've completed all the AR questions in your book, construct a mind map of all the patterns you've come across (give each pattern a section that corresponds with SCANS) and make sure you memorise the sh*t out of them. Every time to come across a new pattern add it to this mind map too; ideally use an A3 piece of paper so you have a lot of space. Memorising the patterns might not seem like it helps much; but I watched a lecture once by a psychologist who said that sometimes if you've learnt something off by heart and you see something that triggers your memory of it, you will remember what it is even though you may not have consciously been thinking about it. So for example, if you're looking through a set and you're not thinking of a particular pattern you've come across before, your brain will remember it and remind you of if! Pretty cool, huh?

One last piece of advice. Start off by trying to identify patters in untimed conditions, there's no need to rush yourself so much otherwise you won't be able to identify patterns. Then, slowly, ease yourself into timed conditions. IMO don't start timed conditions until you've got a mind map of at least 30 different patterns in total.

Hope this helps.

hi do you have a mind map, if you do could you please post it as it would be very helpful if I could compare it with mine.
Say I got two partially correct answers does that equal 1 fully correct answer or is that not how it works for SJT?😂 sorry if it's a dumb question but genuinely have no idea how the marking system for SJT works.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chrisdale98
hey guys how did people find official mock B? I got 63% on VR, 50% on AR and QR. I made some really stupid mistakes on QR I wont make again but I heard there are screaming patterns in AR without many secondary rules. How true is this? And is QR easier than the mocks in the real thing?

I just did that mock too. I got 63% in QR too and 72% in QR and 54% in AR.
I am not exactly sure about AR but i have heard that QR is easier but this does not mean that you can get complacent! UKCAT is all about luck and if you are super unlucky on the day, you might end up getting all the hard QR questions.
I did medify mock 1 and got a really bad score.
I got:
VR-550
AR-650
QR-600
SJT-Band 2
I've been preparing for almost 2 months now and my exam is in 3 days.
I honestly thought I would do a lot better.
I don't know what to do. I only have 3 days and my scores are so low.
How similar is medify mock 1 to the real exam? I'm really struggling with vr but I thought my AR would pull up my grade but I didn't do well in that either. I'm really stuck. Help?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending