The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

My results were :
English language : A ( really wanted an A*)
English Literature: A (wasnt expecting this at all thought I'd get a C)
Maths: A (expected)
History: A ( worked so hard for this I went from G's to an A)
Art: B ( really wanted an A)
Spanish: C ( I can't speak a word of Spanish so a C is great)
PE : C (I hate pe )
Chemistry : B (wanted an A)
Biology: B (expected)
Physics :B (expected)

Overall quite happy with my results bar English language and art. It's frustrating as for a couple of my results I'm one or two marks off the A* but as these subjects are subjective I don't want to risk them getting marked down. To be honest I have always said to myself that I can still do well without these results , I just had my own personal goals. Hope everyone got what they wanted. Well done :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Got A* in chemistry. (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Uh is there a a level forum for 2016-18 around? :/
Original post by Theplace
How do you all do further maths A level alongside GCSEs.

Further maths GCSEs

A^ means A* with distinction (for any who are confused)
Original post by RedSquirrels
Further maths GCSEs

A^ means A* with distinction (for any who are confused)

The A^ grade is stupid and it's basically just an A* anyway. The grade A* in GCSE further maths is basically an A, the C grade is basically a D because you only need 37/175 for the C grade. There's no point in the A^ grade.
Original post by B_9710
The A^ grade is stupid and it's basically just an A* anyway. The grade A* in GCSE further maths is basically an A, the C grade is basically a D because you only need 37/175 for the C grade. There's no point in the A^ grade.

Further maths GCSE is basically in between GCSE and A Level (so I've been told) and so it's higher than an A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Further maths GCSE is basically in between GCSE and A Level (so I've been told) and so it's higher than an A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah but it really doesn't make sense. You can only get A* at A level not A***, I don't think grades should be created just because it's a little harder.
Reply 5547
Original post by studentlife444
If you got all A*s in the exams and you got an A overall it may be worth enquiring about it as there may be an error.
Not everyone does and try not to always be comparing your self to others, it isn't healthy. Lots of people dream of getting As, especially in Science, and as long as you're able to do what you want, try not to worry too much.

It is scary though... i found out that i actually got a B in B1 and C1 (which is 1 mark off an a grade...) that is really terrible for me because i just need 4 marks to get an A* in biology... And considering it is the easiest of those exams, i could not believe i didn't even get an A. As well as chemistry... it was reaply dissapointing... i found C1 is the most easiest since it was the very basic staff... (so i thought i would have got at least 50 marks cuz i couldn't think what i had got wrong) but it turn out that i didn't even get an A... i am considering that if i need to apply some remarks... However, there is a much bigger issue for me in course work. Basically, three science teacher had mark my coursework for A* , 44/50 in chemistry, 46/50 in physics and biology. But it only turn out the right marks in biology for 75/80 UMS... And i got both 64/80 UMS for the other 2 (which is 39/50-just an A)... i pulled down my overall physics grade.. Don't know if others have a similar issue here.
Does anyone know roughly how long remarks take?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5549
I am a bit confused with the remarks... does gcse have priority remarks?(or just A level )
Original post by Anonamoose
Did anyone else get rather bad in English Lit and Lang AQA board? My entire year group did horrible and they are remarking. I was expected to get 2 A*'s and got 2 B's.

no? I got full UMS in both, so two A*s and most of the year got A* or A
Is there any AQA ums grade boundaries anywhere?? As raw marks don't correlate with my results. Im curious to know how far I was from the boundaries etc.
Does anyone know how much UMS it was to get A* in AQA English Lit and Lang?
To all of those who didn't get the grades they wanted :
https://unmotivatedenthusiast.wordpress.com/2016/08/11/dooms-day/

Hope it helps you out! :smile:
Original post by Darlia
Yes! Loads of usually A* students got only A's! I was wondering about this ☹️

That's what I'm wondering as well! I found the EdExcel papers I did for the sciences and based on the results I got I decided to do them again (baring in mind I forgot a lot of stuff since it's been over 2 months) and I got 55/60 (A*) in B1 but my paper says I got lower, I got at least 47/60 in B2 but my results sheet says I got much lower and got 51/60 at least (A*) but my results sheet says I got much lower! I feel like this has happened with other subjects so I'm checking!

Is it worth a remark for all my papers guys because i'm very confident I did much better!

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's what I'm wondering as well! I found the EdExcel papers I did for the sciences and based on the results I got I decided to do them again (baring in mind I forgot a lot of stuff since it's been over 2 months) and I got 55/60 (A*) in B1 but my paper says I got lower, I got at least 47/60 in B2 but my results sheet says I got much lower and got 51/60 at least (A*) but my results sheet says I got much lower! I feel like this has happened with other subjects so I'm checking!

Is it worth a remark for all my papers guys because i'm very confident I did much better!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same with CIE. In extreme cases at my school people went from A* to a D. No one knows why.
Original post by Mac117
Same with CIE. In extreme cases at my school people went from A* to a D. No one knows why.

Exactly with me! I got A* in my CIE IGCSE english language mock exam but in the real thing I got a D? I at least expected a B!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Exactly with me! I got A* in my CIE IGCSE english language mock exam but in the real thing I got a D? I at least expected a B!

Posted from TSR Mobile

This happened to me too!! (But not as extreme)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MethylOrange_
This happened to me too!! (But not as extreme)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Something is honestly wrong! Im going for a remark because I am confident that I'll go up!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Itzxsmithyy
I'm 18 and I started an apprenticeship not so long ago. I got my result for English today. It came back 2 marks off a C (for the 3rd year in a row, 6 exams in a row I've came within 1-2 marks from a C). So I'm at the point now where I know that I'm not going to get a C from getting it re marked. My question is, what happens now? I've left school with a D in English but I've already secured an apprenticeship. What happens if I don't get a full time job from it and I want to search for a job? I dont have a C in English so nobody would take me on.

Hey, I'm not sure if you have already got the advice that you needed, but I have some advice, too. I hope this will be of some help to you.

So, I'm sure it must be really annoying almost nearly getting the C and then not quite getting it. But, I'd say try again for the last time and seek advice from someone for as if you were trying to get an A*. I know that sounds ridiculous, but you are definitely not illiterate so aiming higher could just mean that you'd get higher than what you usually get.

However, if that doesn't sound promising to you, I have other advice. A D in English is not going to stop you from being successful in life, I can promise you that. It will only stop you if you let it. Learn as much as you can from your apprenticeship, network with people in places and seek active ways to get yourself significant business skills. These skills will be the most useful thing to you. Look at the skills you already have now and try and see if you could come up with a business idea and then apply for a grant from Prince's trust (please look that up if you have not heard of it before) to make that business idea a reality. You seem like someone who would excel in business because of your ability to pick yourself up after several failures. Please don't let your individual talents and skills waste away, because I'm sure you can do so much with them. My advice for your first steps would be trying again with English for the last time, taking the apprenticeship, finding a mentor and making connections with people in places you want to get to, and learning more useful skills along the way.

Again, I really hope this was helpful (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by T0ucan
image.jpgSo happy but so gutted. Results are better than anything I could have hoped for but my a level subjects clash and I can't take what I want to!

WOW. WELL DONE FOR THE A* IN BUSINESS PARTICULARLY. You are literally the ONLY person I have seen with an A* in Business.

What do you wanna study at A Level??? (Or IB)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest