The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iEthan
:hugs: to both of you :redface:

Take care and you both know where to find me if you need a chat about anything at all!

Had such a nice evening but still feeling so dreadful and crying and it all hurts. :cry2: Making me feel ridiculously selfish and ungrateful and stupid and useless. :cry2:
Being around so many people tires me out so much. I just prefer being alone or with close family. And now everyone wants to plan a day out.

I've been travelling by train and car all week. I came home for a three day weekend to finally relax. Looks like it won't be happening. I just need a quiet a few days away from so many people to recharge.
Original post by Anonymous
The manager at my temp job was quite nasty about my accent earlier (I'm originally from somewhere in the north which has a distinctive accent; mine is actually pretty mild and considered "posh" where I'm from but considered strong where I am now) when I answered the phone and made a point that he didn't want me answering the phone cause of it. He made me feel so stupid :frown:

How rude! There really was no need for that.
Original post by Tiger Rag
How rude! There really was no need for that.

Someone else I work with said the same thing. It's got me thinking about taking*elocution lessons as the area I'm from isn't portrayed very well in the media and I've had people assume that I'm a chav/uneducated cause of it (I'm thinking that it might a factor in why I get so many interviews but no offers too). However at the same time I don't really want to do that as I'm worried that my family and friends might think I'm a snob (one of my uncle's accent changed when he moved down south and a few people in my family say things about it).
Original post by sherbet_lemons7
Had such a nice evening but still feeling so dreadful and crying and it all hurts. :cry2: Making me feel ridiculously selfish and ungrateful and stupid and useless. :cry2:

Not ungrateful or selfish at all. Huge hugs. With my sister today (she's sleeping atm hence being on here) but text if you need me :lovehug:

Someone else I work with said the same thing. It's got me thinking about taking*elocution lessons as the area I'm from isn't portrayed very well in the media and I've had people assume that I'm a chav/uneducated cause of it (I'm thinking that it might a factor in why I get so many interviews but no offers too). However at the same time I don't really want to do that as I'm worried that my family and friends might think I'm a snob (one of my uncle's accent changed when he moved down south and a few people in my family say things about it).

This is so backward of the people you work with that it's almost beyond belief! It's so awful to hear such snobbery still exists :mad: I'm really sorry you've experienced this discrimination. I don't think you should feel like you have to have elocution lessons at all just because many people (by the sounds of it) are acting incredibly ignorantly towards you. It must be really hard though. Hugs! :hugs:
I'm going to this one-day mental health event in North London tomorrow: https://www.artsdepot.co.uk/events/itaffectsmeiam-normal-wellbeing-festival . Jonny Benjamin is speaking and my old line manager from my volunteering at Mind has said she'll try and introduce me to him (they're friends, apparently!) :yay:

No idea what to say to him other than ZOMG YOU'RE AMAZING lol :getmecoat: But it'd be quite cool to meet him someday. I hope I get the chance :colondollar:

Will try and remember to let you all know what the event is like :smile: Am gonna have to get up extra early coz it's the wrong side of London for me :ninja:
AhemUpon reflection i think i have acted out of order :yes:Some faceless men told me this in my dreams. When i was on the phone they were in my hallway and every time i breathed their faces would follow the sound. There was snow and it was dark and i deserved it. So yeh.I have seen sense and that sense is the following, i am still rather irritated with some ppl who think it is ok to drop you but can i be clear that i never did intend that for the mods, suppose i should have specified that really but there we go im specifying it now.especially to @iEthan, i am sorry for taking my anger out on you, you had every right to do that tbh and i shouldn't have done that. i wont bother with excuses because i dont think i can really be excused.I realised that i should just go away for a bit really.I realised that today when i couldnt be bothered with life and just wanted to sleep all the time.So yeh i dont expect to be forgiven tbh but i wont be a nuisance anymore and ill stop doing the same stupid things over and over.So, sorry @Deyesy @Airmed @furryface12 and everyone else that has put up with me and i do appreciate it i swear sorry if this wasnt the right place to post this:flybye:
:flybye:

You can always PM me if you need a chat lovely :hugs:
(edited 7 years ago)
Feeling worried, very anxious and worried.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Not ungrateful or selfish at all. Huge hugs. With my sister today (she's sleeping atm hence being on here) but text if you need me :lovehug:

This is so backward of the people you work with that it's almost beyond belief! It's so awful to hear such snobbery still exists :mad: I'm really sorry you've experienced this discrimination. I don't think you should feel like you have to have elocution lessons at all just because many people (by the sounds of it) are acting incredibly ignorantly towards you. It must be really hard though. Hugs! :hugs:

Thanks :hugs: No the other person said she thought it was unfair and harsh of him. Guess makes me feel like I don't really belong anywhere because when I was younger (and a few times as an adult) I was made fun of for sounding "posh" as my accent isn't strong and I actually considered making it stronger to fit in more. I'm thinking of making a complaint to the agency but don't know if it'd be taken seriously.
Thanks :hugs: No the other person said she thought it was unfair and harsh of him. Guess makes me feel like I don't really belong anywhere because when I was younger (and a few times as an adult) I was made fun of for sounding "posh" as my accent isn't strong and I actually considered making it stronger to fit in more. I'm thinking of making a complaint to the agency but don't know if it'd be taken seriously.

Oh sorry for my misunderstanding there :redface: Did anyone witness this conversation? Has your boss sent you an email about it or anything? It's certainly discrimination and good grounds for complaint, but I imagine proving it happened could be the tricky part :s-smilie:
Oh sorry for my misunderstanding there :redface: Did anyone witness this conversation? Has your boss sent you an email about it or anything? It's certainly discrimination and good grounds for complaint, but I imagine proving it happened could be the tricky part :s-smilie:

No I answered the phone to him (he was else where that day) and made the remark (the company has initials and he corrected me making out I said them incorrectly due to my accent even though another person overheard me and said I did it right). No email, he got someone from the permanent staff to pass the message on.
Your anon thing has come off - not sure if you wanna rectify that :redface:

Big hugs. What a git (him, not you) :angry:

No I answered the phone to him (he was else where that day) and made the remark (the company has initials and he corrected me making out I said them incorrectly due to my accent even though another person overheard me and said I did it right). No email, he got someone from the permanent staff to pass the message on.

Sorted that for you :h:
Original post by Deyesy
Sorted that for you :h:

Cheers! :colondollar:

Urgh what a crafty bugger. That's very sneaky of him, and very rude! I suppose it would depend on whether the member of permanent staff would be willing to back you or not, and whether there might be any repercussions from complaining :dontknow:
Got on really well at the wedding fayre and managed to book my wedding! I had my heart set on Gretna Green but its too far for my grandparents to travel on the day so I had one or two venues in my hometown that I fancied and I managed to talk to a rep today at the fayre at one of the venues I liked and she called her manager and they managed to fit us in this morning for a viewing and its all booked now :colondollar: I'm a mix of nerves, excited, relieved, terrified and pretty much every other emotion under the sun :colondollar: :laugh: took a few bad panics today but it all turned out well
Original post by Spock's Socks
Got on really well at the wedding fayre and managed to book my wedding! I had my heart set on Gretna Green but its too far for my grandparents to travel on the day so I had one or two venues in my hometown that I fancied and I managed to talk to a rep today at the fayre at one of the venues I liked and she called her manager and they managed to fit us in this morning for a viewing and its all booked now :colondollar: I'm a mix of nerves, excited, relieved, terrified and pretty much every other emotion under the sun :colondollar: :laugh: took a few bad panics today but it all turned out well

This sounds amazing! Congratulations :smile: x
Original post by Ezme39
This sounds amazing! Congratulations :smile: x

Thank you :hugs: xx

:woo:

Sorry you had a few panic attacks but YAY for wedding venue being booked!!! :woo: :excited: :nutcase:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest