The Student Room Group

Google STEP 2017 - Summer Trainee Engineering Programme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princepieman
Waheey! Best of luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, good luck to you too.

Original post by computationchive
What course(s) do you guys study at the moment?

I will be starting Maths and Computer Science at Bristol this September.
Original post by computationchive
What course(s) do you guys study at the moment?

MSci Computer Science at Swansea

Posted from TSR Mobile
MSci Computer Science at Swansea

Posted from TSR Mobile

No industrial placement? I thought you would have aimed to do the BSc at Swansea and the MSc at different uni?

What's the reasoning behind it?
Original post by TrojanH
No industrial placement? I thought you would have aimed to do the BSc at Swansea and the MSc at different uni?

Internships exist

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've literally have not programmed since I dropped Computing AS last year, starting EEE at UCL in a couple weeks is there any point in me applying? Or will I have too much to learn in too little time for the interviews.
Original post by chrisidialu
I've literally have not programmed since I dropped Computing AS last year, starting EEE at UCL in a couple weeks is there any point in me applying? Or will I have too much to learn in too little time for the interviews.

You'll struggle in the interviews tbh if you haven't kept up with programming. The main concern is learning all the algorithm and data structures stuff in time for interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TrojanH

BSc + MSc is more expensive than MSci
Original post by Trapz99
BSc + MSc is more expensive than MSci

Aye that's a thought but surely the cost would be worth it if the MSC is at imperial or Oxbridge
Original post by TrojanH
Aye that's a thought but surely the cost would be worth it if the MSC is at imperial or Oxbridge

Don't care at all if I'm honest. A one year masters isn't much of a value add to my life

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't care at all if I'm honest. A one year masters isn't much of a value add to my life

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just wondering, why didn't you go for a BSc?
Original post by Trapz99
Just wondering, why didn't you go for a BSc?

More time to do internships more interesting modules later on.

+ you're all forgetting I can easily change to BSc if I want

Posted from TSR Mobile
More time to do internships more interesting modules later on.

+ you're all forgetting I can easily change to BSc if I want

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you'll be applying to spring weeks the same year as me? Since I'll be entering my first year in 2017
Original post by Trapz99
So you'll be applying to spring weeks the same year as me? Since I'll be entering my first year in 2017

Nah this year, I'll formally switch to a three year degree if I get and convert a spring.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So is this the main Google internship for first year students? When's the deadline? Do Facebook, Amazon etc. run similar programs (or are there any other particularly interesting internships for first year CS students)?
Original post by sweeneyrod
So is this the main Google internship for first year students? When's the deadline? Do Facebook, Amazon etc. run similar programs (or are there any other particularly interesting internships for first year CS students)?

Yah. No idea, website hasn't updated.

Nah, they don't have anything specifically for first/second years (four year course) - in EMEA at least. FB has FBU which is only for American students and Microsoft has Microsoft Explorer, same spiel.

If you're good however, you can attempt their regular internship programmes - but again, only if you're basically at a high enough level. Plus, Startups always need a helping hand.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Yah. No idea, website hasn't updated.

Nah, they don't have anything specifically for first/second years (four year course) - in EMEA at least. FB has FBU which is only for American students and Microsoft has Microsoft Explorer, same spiel.

If you're good however, you can attempt their regular internship programmes - but again, only if you're basically at a high enough level. Plus, Startups always need a helping hand.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I think I'll apply for this, Google Summer of Code, and smaller companies/startups in the UK and Europe.
Nah this year, I'll formally switch to a three year degree if I get and convert a spring.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah nice one. What do you mean by spring week? IB Spring weeks or is there anything similar for tech?
Original post by TrojanH
Ah nice one. What do you mean by spring week? IB Spring weeks or is there anything similar for tech?

IB

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TrojanH

And yes, there are tech division spring weeks if you so wish to go down that route.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bigboateng_

I looked at your CV its very good. You mentioned somewhere you got advice from someone at google before you applied. Could you take a look at my CV? I'll PM it you if you wish.

Quick Reply

Latest