The Student Room Group

I don't know how anyone can eat meat :-(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes

The taste of meat was honestly SO not worth the few times I had it again. Meat alone is disgustingly plain, most of us would gag if were made to eat just that alone for a meal. It's only because it gets seasoned and flavoured that most people love it.

Same with loads of vegetarian food though. Your argument is a bit like me eating raw cabbage, hating it, and then declaring vegetarian food to be disgusting based on such a plain and unseasoned food item.

I eat meat because it's tasty, nutritious and it's a vital part of a lot of meals. Being a meat eater is simply far easier for me.

Original post by nexttime
I honestly think that in 100 years we'll look back on meat-eaters the same way we look back on slave-owners now. It's a subject that completely doesn't resolve morally if you think that causing suffering is bad. And y'know, most people do.

Doubt it. The act of eating meat is simply a part of basic biology and provides us with nutrition, even if it is now possible to go without. Slavery is/was not biology in any way. So there's a huge distinction to be made right there.
As long as animals are slaughtered in a humane way then I'm happy to eat whatever. And I love meat.

Welcome to 2016..,
(edited 3 years ago)
People still eat meat cos they're ignorant
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Of course it was

You wouldn't eat meat raw, you wouldn't eat it without any seasoning.

I could eat plain bread and it wouldn't make me ill, nor would it make me gag. I could probably eat uncooked pasta and still not get food poisoning, that tells you something.

Two words: Steak Tartare.

Raw meat is fine provided it's pretty fresh, and if you genuinely can't stomach it without seasoning then you've got poor quality meat. You don't have to marinade a steak or slather it in spices for it to taste nice unless you've bought cheap rubbish.
Original post by uglyslut
People still eat meat cos they're ignorant

Oooooh I've never met a militant vegan online!
Meat is great. Vegetarianism/Veganism is a huge missed steak as far as I'm concerned.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 86
I've got chicken in the oven now :smile:
I've been raised to be a pescetarian. Most people ask me what that means, and when I say "I only eat fish and everything else that a vegetarian eats" they're like "you're still killing fish, you're as bad as we are".

NO. Let me tell you that fish wouldn't understand what was going on if they were going to be killed so they wouldn't suffer, unlike pigs which are one of the smartest animals and can recognise pain. So now tell me whether killing fish is as bad as killing on-land animals.
Over the years I have fully understood why my parents "opted out":

-The living conditions of chickens are extreme- 25,000 to a small shed where they they have no personal space, living in their own ****.
- Mac Donalds-sorry to moan but I hate fast-food places- is one of the main reasons as to why our rainforests our suffering, trees are cut down to make way for cattle, which will be used for beef. Why do we have Climate Change? WELL the cattles emit methane which is bad for the environment, and chopping down trees releases CO2.
- Not only is MacDonalds bad for the environment, but is also made up of processed food which is extrememly bad for our body- it increases the chances of health risks
- if you don't eat on-land animals you will increase your life length, be healthier and decrease the risks of getting diseases and health problems
- If you eat steak, you will be most likely put off by this- it takes 4 days for your body to process steak that means it stays in your gut for 4 days which is going to damage your body and give you health risks.

I'm sorry to rant but I'm fed up with people complaining at me for being a Pescetarian, they are the ones who are going to suffer because they don't fully understand the risks with this. I'm not trying to persuade anyone to eat differently but I want my opinion to be heard and not neglected- this is serious and some people do not understand what they are getting themselves into.
Suffering is bad of course. I eat meat and will probably eat meat for the rest of my life. I believe it is essential to my diet, personally. The majority of people are NOT suited to a vegetarian or vegan diet, especially in the western world. The consumption of animals arguably led to us being the humans we are today.

I find many vegetarians and vegans to be extremely ignorant. They condemn meat eaters and claim that their food is healthier, cheaper and 'more ethical'. I eat organic meat and I can eat it easily without seasoning, although natural juices provide flavour ('gravy'). Our meat is awful in this country and it is even worse in America (another topic).

Many vegetarians and vegans claim that others are ignorant for not facing facts while eating GM products (involves suffering), eating meat substitute e.g quorn (look at the ingredients list) and consuming non-organic veg (pesticide use etc). Vegetarians and vegans also tend to reference 'pain'. I never see these anti-suffering merchants condemn the actions of western countries invading other countries and doing various atrocities. A lot of these so-called caring people pick and choose what to care about. You value an animal's life that has been born to be eaten over that of a human?
Original post by Certified
Suffering is bad of course. I eat meat and will probably eat meat for the rest of my life. I believe it is essential to my diet, personally. The majority of people are NOT suited to a vegetarian or vegan diet, especially in the western world. The consumption of animals arguably led to us being the humans we are today.

I find many vegetarians and vegans to be extremely ignorant. They condemn meat eaters and claim that their food is healthier, cheaper and 'more ethical'. I eat organic meat and I can eat it easily without seasoning, although natural juices provide flavour ('gravy':wink:. Our meat is awful in this country and it is even worse in America (another topic).

Many vegetarians and vegans claim that others are ignorant for not facing facts while eating GM products (involves suffering), eating meat substitute e.g quorn (look at the ingredients list) and consuming non-organic veg (pesticide use etc). Vegetarians and vegans also tend to reference 'pain'. I never see these anti-suffering merchants condemn the actions of western countries invading other countries and doing various atrocities. A lot of these so-called caring people pick and choose what to care about. You value an animal's life that has been born to be eaten over that of a human?

How can you say that you find vegetarians and vegans ignorant- lets just face the facts, it is healthier and it is cheaper to choose this path. I know because I watch what my family buy and what my friends buy.. but how would you know or understand, because you eat meat. No one can truly understand unless they follow that path
Back in the Stone Age, Cavemen had to eat meat to survive, but what about those who survived who ate plant based food- its not always those who eat meat who survive. Now we live in a time where we have everything done for us, we don't have to go out and kill an animal just so we can survive, we can order all our food online with just the click of a button. More people are beginning to understand that you can survive without eating meat and actually it is very cheap and is good for the
environment.
I'm sick to death of all these people claiming that they "KNOW" everything, and I
mean they think that vegetarians and vegans are ignorant because "this blah blah path is better for you". ACTUALLY NO, we are trying to make a point because so many people ignore us, they don't fully understand it, which is very sad.
Reply 92
Well my parents eat meat/ fish/ dairy regularly and I cba to prepare my own meals so I just eat with them :colondollar:

But my goal is to be at least a vegetarian from October onwards because I'm gonna be moving out for uni :smile:

And yeah its the slaughter house videos ;_;
Original post by SCIENCE :D
Most people realise that there are lot more important issues to address in the world at this current time than how a chicken is killed.

there's enough resources in the world to focus on this problem though and not ignore it.
You've reminded me that we are having pressure cooked Spare Ribs tomorrow....
Someone on this thread compared meat eaters to slave masters, I'm done. Meat is delicious, how can anyone NOT eat it is the real question.
Original post by Moira O' Hara1
How can you say that you find vegetarians and vegans ignorant- lets just face the facts, it is healthier and it is cheaper to choose this path. I know because I watch what my family buy and what my friends buy.. but how would you know or understand, because you eat meat. No one can truly understand unless they follow that path

If it's healthier, why are babies left malnourished when their crazy vegan parents refuse to feed them meat?
I love this
(edited 3 years ago)
Have you ever heard of the food chain?
Not eating meat won't make any difference to what happens in the world. If you want to stop it, you have to go be a politician or some famous respected activist and get people on your side.

In the end we just don't care from the inside and just want to enjoy the good things in life. Out of sight, out of mind.

Quick Reply

Latest