The Student Room Group

Physics or Further Maths for A level?

Hey guys,
I just wanted to know whether i should take Further Maths or Physics for my a level options. My current subject choices are: Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Chemistry. I am hearing that choosing physics will help me a lot in my pursuit of becoming an orthopaedic surgeon. But i am also hearing that Physics is really hard and that a lot of people fail. So i am open to advice whether i should choose Physics over Further maths or not. I have an A* in both Maths and Physics.
it is really what up to what you enjoy. i am taking the same options and was considering physics however the spec seemed to be very boring and not that interesting so i would look at your exam board spec and see what you enjoy. however if you need physics more taking just normal maths should be enough
Original post by walid_123
Hey guys,
I just wanted to know whether i should take Further Maths or Physics for my a level options. My current subject choices are: Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Chemistry. I am hearing that choosing physics will help me a lot in my pursuit of becoming an orthopaedic surgeon. But i am also hearing that Physics is really hard and that a lot of people fail. So i am open to advice whether i should choose Physics over Further maths or not. I have an A* in both Maths and Physics.

1. You probably won't want to become an ortho surgeon by the time you come around to choosing. Most aspiring doctors want to become some sort of surgeon and then change their mind having experienced it. Maybe you'll be different! :wink:

2. You will probably forget a lot of what you learned at a level anyway (at least, I would; I'm already forgetting GCSE). So it's not about what will "help" you more - it's about what you want to do.

I'm not sure how further maths stands in being counted as an a level by medical schools with the reforms, but before reforms it didn't count as a separate one by SOME. I would just choose whatever excites you more, because at the end of the day you're clearly capable of doing either subject - and you'll get the best grade in the one you like the sound of more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Both!!
Drop the silly sciences
Reply 4
What she said^^^
Reply 5
Original post by M14B
Both!!
Drop the silly sciences

Most unis want Maths and Chemistry as a requirement to study medicine which is why im taking Chemistry. Biology is apparently not as hard as physics and it's more medicine related which is why i chose it
Original post by walid_123
Most unis want Maths and Chemistry as a requirement to study medicine which is why im taking Chemistry. Biology is apparently not as hard as physics and it's more medicine related which is why i chose it

You don't need maths for Medicine - the only thing that requires maths is ONE college at Cambridge. Generally, you only need chem and bio.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest