The Student Room Group

There is no evidence for God

Scroll to see replies

Original post by inhuman
If his entire argument is based on that assumption, wouldn't you say it's pretty vital for him to show it's true?
I'd say anyone arguing against him or trying to tell me he is wrong should explain themselves as to why he is wrong.

otherwise, Pride has been explaining his position.

What if he deliberately chose an assumption that is impossible to disprove, or at least currently impossible?
Would that make him correct? Would a person's ability to dispute a claim make that person correct or incorrect?

Then he will do exactly like you just did and say well listen mate there it is, look what I argued, you can't disprove it, so who is the fool now for denying it.
Except I don't think I said that and I do not feel that way. Just don't like someone starting a debate (which takes at least two) only to stop it by pushing "burden" onto someone else. That's an appeal to ignorance or at least that is how I view it.

But if things are difficult to explain - cool. I've been there. I'm sure many people have. You know something in your head. That ability to describe it may not always be there - so be honest about it.
Original post by inhuman
Some would argue that after two millennia of there being no evidence at all, that that is at least one piece of evidence that there isn't.

You would have been right if you said there is no proof that there is no God. But alas, you didn't.
in what way does this two millennia work?

Original post by inhuman
At the end of the day it's still a philosophical argument. Philosophy is not science or mathematics.
:frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by inhuman
It's an assumption. It's not on me to prove it wrong. It's on you to prove it correct.

And the arrogance, you didn't get defended by an atheist, an atheist asked for more clarification in my argument, since the state it was in, he didn't understand it. If you continue to read our exchange you will see that we came to an agreement.

That's actually stupid. Premises are not assumptions! If someone makes an argument, with a conclusion that is logically valid and follows from it's premises, the of course the burden of proof is on him. However, they dont simply assume their premises are true, they provide reasons to support them being true! I thought atheists were supposed to be fore bearers of reason and logic? Shouldn't you at least know what valid arguments are and, heaven forbid, what a premise actually is?
Original post by Supermonkey92
That's actually stupid. Premises are not assumptions! If someone makes an argument, with a conclusion that is logically valid and follows from it's premises, the of course the burden of proof is on him. However, they dont simply assume their premises are true, they provide reasons to support them being true! I thought atheists were supposed to be fore bearers of reason and logic? Shouldn't you at least know what valid arguments are and, heaven forbid, what a premise actually is?

Indeed, something I have been trying to tell people for a long time now.

Rather ironic then that you come in here as arrogant as you have, having completely misunderstood the debate up to now.
Original post by inhuman
Indeed, something I have been trying to tell people for a long time now.

Rather ironic then that you come in here as arrogant as you have, having completely misunderstood the debate up to now.

Then perhaps you should read what you write before posting Start with post 402. You wrongly confuse premises as assumptions. Whats ironic is you use modus ponens as an example to show what an assumption is, when in fact there is no assumption!

Edit: i see youve already been dealt with. Dont worry then, lets leave the conversation where it is my assertive but ultimately self defeating friend.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Supermonkey92
Then perhaps you should read what you write before posting Start with post 402. You wrongly confuse premises as assumptions. Whats ironic is you use modus ponens as an example to show what an assumption is, when in fact there is no assumption!

Edit: i see youve already been dealt with. Dont worry then, lets leave the conversation where it is my assertive but ultimately self defeating friend.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you ought self reflect a bit more, one day your out of place arrogance is gonna bit you in the ass.

And dealt with? Lulz, by that Dima muppet? You think someone has the same wrong opinion as you makes it a correct one? Good luck with that attitude.
Original post by jdizzle12345
What will happen to heretics like me, then?

Heresy is just another sin like stealing, murder, and bearing false witness. What is sin? Anything that prevents us from standing in the presence of God ,which is, BTW, his whole goal. The mind of man is the culmination of his creation. I personally can't see him creating something so near to his heart, with the very characteristics that will allow it to fail, (choice), and then sentence it to eternal suffering for failing.

Your question was, what will happen to heretics like me, (us). Probably the same thing that will happen to every body else who has the ability to take responsibility for their soul. I think that through living this life, getting old and dying then, at the proper time ,seeing everything the way we were meant to see and understand it ,will,(should ), be enough to straighten us out. If you think about it, knowing you were going to love forever would take a lot of the allure of most sins away. I think.

f your like me, heresy is the least of your problems.
Urm? Why do you believe that believing in God is a sign of maturity?

A large reason that many people believe in God is to comfort them. The existence of a God allows for a heaven, to see loved one's again, to have an objective moral standard, to have good people be rewarded etc.

Surely the mature thing to do is to accept the harshness of life without needing a God to cling onto for comfort?

To comfort them??? To hear you talk, people should only fear God. Many do. Why would someone continually worship and devote a large part of their life to if it was so easily explained away with science and logic. That doesn't make sense.
I suppose it depends on your perception of what is real or not. I'm agnostic and I've been on and off believing in God, since doing philosophy at AS (going on to A2) I seem to want to see more scientific evidence, but that's just me.
I suppose Aristotle believed in God because of his conclusions he made looking at the evidence in the universe and his idea of the four causes and the uncaused causer
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by davidguettafan
So why do people still believe in God?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it your business?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by faby96
There is no evidence that there is no God. So there.

There is no evidence that there are no unicorns.
Reply 471
Hasn't this thread been done to death already?
Reply 472
Original post by oldercon1953
I also wish you well. BTW, I think the only person who will burn in hell is Satan.

What? Sounds like universalism...

What will happen to heretics like me, then?

Well regardless of the sin, you need Jesus. Without him, you "stand:undefined: condemned already", as John 3:18 says.

in other words, we deserve to die because we have sinned. Without Jesus, you will get the punishment for your sin, which is death. What's death? Well we aren't sure about the details, but it involves hell, and it's a punishment.

Heresy is just another sin like stealing, murder, and bearing false witness. What is sin? Anything that prevents us from standing in the presence of God ,which is, BTW, his whole goal.

Nope, that's not true. God didn't send his son to die on the cross solely to give us the chance to be with him. He did it to demonstrate his attributes. He did it to bring glory to himself. (Isaiah 11:9, Jeremiah 31:33-34). The gospel demonstrates his mercy, his love, his power, his wrath, his justice, lots of different attributes all in one gospel. He also did it to carry out his will through people.

Yes, God does care about us. He came to give those who are weary rest, he came to heal the sick, to wipe away all tears etc. But the world does not revolve around mankind. It revolves around God (obviously not literally, before someone makes the joke)..

The mind of man is the culmination of his creation. I personally can't see him creating something so near to his heart, with the very characteristics that will allow it to fail, (choice), and then sentence it to eternal suffering for failing.

So because you wouldn't punish people eternally, God wouldn't...? You are also suggesting that people aren't to blame for their sins. On what basis can you assert that?

Are you suggesting that you don't deserve eternal suffering? Please explain how.

Your question was, what will happen to heretics like me, (us). Probably the same thing that will happen to every body else who has the ability to take responsibility for their soul. I think that through living this life, getting old and dying then, at the proper time ,seeing everything the way we were meant to see and understand it ,will,(should ), be enough to straighten us out. If you think about it, knowing you were going to love forever would take a lot of the allure of most sins away. I think.

if your like me, heresy is the least of your problems.

To answer that question, let me quote Jesus:
"Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters."
"I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am he, you will indeed die in your sins."
"Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my father in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you workers of lawlessness.’"
I'm literally right here. :hi:
Reply 474
Original post by █▓▒░│۞│░▒▓█
I'm literally right here. :hi:

So how do you feel about the gays?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RobML
So how do you feel about the gays?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Homosexuals shouldn't walk into stones. It's disrespectful to the natural world. Other than that I say live and let live. Now I must rest. :bath:
Original post by █▓▒░│۞│░▒▓█
Homosexuals shouldn't walk into stones. It's disrespectful to the natural world. Other than that I say live and let live. Now I must rest. :bath:

You could not be more wrong.

Plenty of animal species are known to engage in homosexual acts. Plenty of human civilizations did, too - look at the Greek for starters.
To comfort them??? To hear you talk, people should only fear God. Many do. Why would someone continually worship and devote a large part of their life to if it was so easily explained away with science and logic. That doesn't make sense.

But science can't yet explain the exact origins of the universe.

And you must be one the naivest people ever. Or just a theist...

Science does explain many things, such as evolution, and many religious people and many leading religious institutions now accept it as true, and have in one way or another incorporated it their mantra somehow reconciling it with their scripture.

And yet you will find plenty of people in say America's Bible Belt that teach their kids creationism. How a country like America can let scores of its children be brought up brainwashed at school like that...now that, that doesn't make sense.
I don't believe there is a "point" to my life. The only purpose I'm aware of is to perhaps harm no one, remain aware that God created me and to show a little appreciation for that fact.

Do you think there is a point to your life? If not are you sad or disappointed your life is meaningless?

You have an important roll on earth my friend. You don't have to be conscious of your roll but you mustn't forget that the greatest test you'll ever face has already been passed and you did it without a brain. That concludes meaning. There is no point to my life. I've been placed inside the universe and am apart of it which is as vast, as are you. The "point" is of a class bacteria won't even measure. Free will.
Original post by Pride
What? Sounds like universalism...

Well regardless of the sin, you need Jesus. Without him, you "stand:undefined: condemned already", as John 3:18 says.

in other words, we deserve to die because we have sinned. Without Jesus, you will get the punishment for your sin, which is death. What's death? Well we aren't sure about the details, but it involves hell, and it's a punishment.

Nope, that's not true. God didn't send his son to die on the cross solely to give us the chance to be with him. He did it to demonstrate his attributes. He did it to bring glory to himself. (Isaiah 11:9, Jeremiah 31:33-34). The gospel demonstrates his mercy, his love, his power, his wrath, his justice, lots of different attributes all in one gospel. He also did it to carry out his will through people.

Yes, God does care about us. He came to give those who are weary rest, he came to heal the sick, to wipe away all tears etc. But the world does not revolve around mankind. It revolves around God (obviously not literally, before someone makes the joke)..

So because you wouldn't punish people eternally, God wouldn't...? You are also suggesting that people aren't to blame for their sins. On what basis can you assert that?

Are you suggesting that you don't deserve eternal suffering? Please explain how.

To answer that question, let me quote Jesus:
"Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters."
"I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am he, you will indeed die in your sins."
"Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my father in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you workers of lawlessness.’"

".....only those who do the will of my father in heaven." The only command that I can think of would be Love God and love your neighbor. Aren't all the commands summed up in that one command?

Jesus said no man will enter heaven except through him. How can you say Jews won't enter thru him? Or Muslims, We are told we have Gods commands written on our hearts and it is our hearts that convict us.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending