The Student Room Group

NCS or more work experience!?!?! Please heLP!!!

I'm having a bit of a dilemma here and can't seem to make my mind up on whether NCS or more work experience will give me a stronger CV when applying to medicine.

If it helps, I am moving into year 12 in September and got 11A* and 2A in my GCSES.

I decided against doing NCS in the summer holidays as I managed to get a week of volunteering in a care home and then a weeks placement in a hospital. I thought that I'd simply leave NCS to October half term. However now that I'm looking into some more work experience, I've found some amazing opportunities that would really strengthen my medicine application!!

I'd really appreciate some advice on whether I should do NCS in October and end up doing less work experience or just ditch NCS and get as much work experience done as possible??

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
I don't even know what you can say about NCS.
It helped my summer because it wouldve been boring but that was it.
It was fruitless
Original post by a_d_e
I don't even know what you can say about NCS.
It helped my summer because it wouldve been boring but that was it.
It was fruitless

Oh great thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by worksmartnothard
I'm having a bit of a dilemma here and can't seem to make my mind up on whether NCS or more work experience will give me a stronger CV when applying to medicine.

If it helps, I am moving into year 12 in September and got 11A* and 2A in my GCSES.

I decided against doing NCS in the summer holidays as I managed to get a week of volunteering in a care home and then a weeks placement in a hospital. I thought that I'd simply leave NCS to October half term. However now that I'm looking into some more work experience, I've found some amazing opportunities that would really strengthen my medicine application!!

I'd really appreciate some advice on whether I should do NCS in October and end up doing less work experience or just ditch NCS and get as much work experience done as possible??

Thanks in advance!

It really doesn't.
I would say definitely get work experience over NCS. Tbh universities don't even highly regard NCS and it makes sense to actually get experience to confirm your passion for medicine :wink:
Original post by Jesus Christ!
It really doesn't.

:nah:
Original post by skylightflower
I would say definitely get work experience over NCS. Tbh universities don't even highly regard NCS and it makes sense to actually get experience to confirm your passion for medicine :wink:

Great, thanks for your help!
Depends, what were the other opportunities
NCS was really fun, but considering you're applying for Medicine you need a really strong application to be considered so I would definitely do some work experience instead; but NCS do offer many different dates so you could possibly try to arrange it so you can do both?
Neither, fagit
Original post by Whilstingeye
Neither, fagit

Thanks for your input and advice xxx
Original post by Misspinkypoop
Depends, what were the other opportunities

A local hospital of mine is holding a 'sixth form induction to medicine' that will last 3 days over the october half term... That's what I'm thinking of doing instead of NCS...
Original post by PandasAreCuteAF
NCS was really fun, but considering you're applying for Medicine you need a really strong application to be considered so I would definitely do some work experience instead; but NCS do offer many different dates so you could possibly try to arrange it so you can do both?

Yeah this is exactly why I was breaking my head over it haha. Seeing all of the replies - I will definitely go ahead with the work experience in October half term and then I might see if I can do NCS next summer. Thanks so much for your help!
Original post by worksmartnothard
A local hospital of mine is holding a 'sixth form induction to medicine' that will last 3 days over the october half term... That's what I'm thinking of doing instead of NCS...

Definitely do that induction. You're quite lucky to get this opportunity so early in the year. Only do NCS if you don't have an alternative.

Quick Reply

Latest