The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ANNEYAYA
Hi! My name's Anne (kinda obvious from the nickname) :smile:
11 A*; gonna do Chemisty, Bio, Maths, History
I would like to do Medicine
I participate in school musicals as extra-cirriculars; also like tennis and badminton. I absolutely love physics (espcially Astronomy), too, but was told that's not needed for Medicine that much. I think I would like to organise an expedition across the Himalayas/Andes.
College: Epsom College, Surrey
Why Oxford: was fascinated by it since I was a child! My older brother tried getting there but he started college right after coming put of the Russian educational system, so they didn't take him, apparently (don't know how that worked). I've read so much about it - for instance, their online volunteer mission to translate the ancient Egyptian scrolls among which a play about Exodus was found.

But now I'm nervous, cuz people always say A Levels are hell! I'm willing to work hard, and study almost all the time.

You're definitely on track! Good luck!
What did you get at GCSE? 1 A^ (Further Maths), 10 A*, 1 A
What A levels will you be studying? Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science, and Physics
What course will you be applying for? Maths and Computer Science or Computer Science (undecied)
What extra-curricular activities do you do? I enjoy country walks, eating food and sleeping
Any colleges you're interested in? And why? Oriel / Christ Church
Why Oxford and not Cambridge? Maths and Computer Science at Cambridge is only in the first year but I need to visit Cambridge before making a complete decision
(edited 7 years ago)
You keen beans! :eek: :headfire: :tongue:

Any questions about Music at Oxford, or Woosta (Worcester) College, do feel free to PM me! Bear in mind though that I'm an alumna (so not currently there) and that the music course has changed since I left :yes:
Reply 23
Hey everyone ,
what did you get at GCSE - 7A's and 4B's
what a levels will you be studying - Biology , Chemistry and Geography and EPQ
What course - Medicine
Extra- curricular - volunteering , online courses , reading self- development books and playing badminton but not for a club ( hopefully I will be soon)
Colleges - not sure yet may UCL
Why oxford - Why Not !!!!
Original post by ZH786
Hey everyone ,
what did you get at GCSE - 7A's and 4B's
what a levels will you be studying - Biology , Chemistry and Geography and EPQ
What course - Medicine
Extra- curricular - volunteering , online courses , reading self- development books and playing badminton but not for a club ( hopefully I will be soon)
Colleges - not sure yet may UCL
Why oxford - Why Not !!!!

You are aware of the pre-interview selection criteria and the sliding scale of BMAT/A*s at GCSE right? I'm not sure you'd realistically stand a shot at getting to the interview stage, let alone getting an offer/meeting it.

Since medicine is so competitive and you only can apply to four medical schools, you might be better off rethinking :sadnod:
What did you get at GCSE? 11A* and 1A
What A levels will you be studying? Biology, Chemistry, Maths
What course will you be applying for? Medicine
What extra-curricular activities do you do? Swimming, work experience, volunteering, online courses
Any colleges you're interested in? And why? not really looked
Why Oxford and not Cambridge? not certain about this I just like the look of Oxford over Cambridge when I went to an Oxbridge conference, and I feel my GCSE results are strong which I know oxford like :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kennethdcharles
So this thread is for anyone who is thinking of applying to Oxford next autumn for 2018 entry. Fairly early I suppose, but since the Cambridge one is up, I thought I'd make an Oxford one! Since we are about to embark on our A levels, I guess this could serve as extra motivation to ensure we meet those entry requirements needed for our chosen courses. Feel free to talk about any aspect of Oxford.

To start off, icebreakers:
What did you get at GCSE?
What A levels will you be studying?
What course will you be applying for?
What extra-curricular activities do you do?
Any colleges you're interested in? And why?
Why Oxford and not Cambridge?

I guess I'll start:

GCSEs - 7A*s 4As 1B
A level choices - Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics and EPQ
Course - Physics
Extra-curricular stuff - Football, school council, prefect, running, athleticsCollege: Christ Church or University College (both nice, plus Stephen Hawkin went to University College! 😅)
Why Oxford? Easy for me, Cambridge does Natural Sciences and not Physics, I don't want to do a degree in all the sciences, I just want to do physics.

Good luck with your A levels, as well as applying when the time comes eventually!

Useful links:Application tips:
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/universities/applying-to-university-and-ucas-deadlines/guide-to-applying-to-oxford-and-cambridge/
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/student-life/10354921/Applying-to-Oxbridge-the-10-tips-for-success.html
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Oxford_or_Cambridge_(aka_Oxbridge)
Courses: https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing?wssl=1Oxford Website: https://www.ox.ac.uk/Course statistics: http://www.unistats.com/Institutions/Details/10007774/ReturnTo/Institutions

5 A*'s, 4 A's, 1 B
(A* English language, A Maths)
Biology, Geography, Politics, Psychology

Law 3 year
A lot of volunteering and I've watched some court cases and applied for work experience in Chambers/Solicitors
St Johns, spoke to somebody who goes there who recommends it, and Worcester (same reason)

Oxford is more vibrant and exciting than Cambridge and I feel it would suit me more.
Reply 27
Original post by jazz_xox_
What did you get at GCSE? 11A* and 1A
What A levels will you be studying? Biology, Chemistry, Maths and maybe RS
What course will you be applying for? Medicine
What extra-curricular activities do you do? Swimming, and looking into volunteering
Any colleges you're interested in? And why? not really looked
Why Oxford and not Cambridge? not certain about this I just like the look of Oxford over Cambridge and my gcse results made people tell me that an Oxford application would be stronger as they are quite gcse heavy

One question, in my GCSE's for English language, my school did a WJEC Level 1/ Level 2 Certificate which we were assured is a GCSE equivalent and we would face no problems in the future, I did get an A* but is this okay as it isn't an actual GCSE? on my results in also says 'certificate in certificate' rather than 'certificate in English language' but I think this is a typo by the school as they reprinted our results

I'm pretty sure it will be okay however you should look at the Oxford website as they will be accurate. If it's an equivalent it should be fine. Congrats on those fantastic GCSEs!
Reply 28
Original post by scarlotta1134
5 A*'s, 4 A's, 1 B
(A* English language, A Maths)
Biology, Geography, Politics, Psychology

Law 3 year
A lot of volunteering and I've watched some court cases and applied for work experience in Chambers/Solicitors
St Johns, spoke to somebody who goes there who recommends it, and Worcester (same reason)

Oxford is more vibrant and exciting than Cambridge and I feel it would suit me more.

Nice extra curriculars and work experience!
Kenneth is 9 A stars and a B not fantastic enough grades for oxford?
Reply 30
Original post by Handwritingman
Kenneth is 9 A stars and a B not fantastic enough grades for oxford?

It's definite!y good enough😂
Original post by kennethdcharles
I'm pretty sure it will be okay however you should look at the Oxford website as they will be accurate. If it's an equivalent it should be fine. Congrats on those fantastic GCSEs!

Okay great thanks :smile: and thank you!!
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
You are aware of the pre-interview selection criteria and the sliding scale of BMAT/A*s at GCSE right? I'm not sure you'd realistically stand a shot at getting to the interview stage, let alone getting an offer/meeting it.

Since medicine is so competitive and you only can apply to four medical schools, you might be better off rethinking :sadnod:

Hi I was just wondering if applying to only 4 medical schools applies to everyone or was specific to the person you were replying to? I've just never heard of this before:smile:
Reply 33
Original post by jazz_xox_
Hi I was just wondering if applying to only 4 medical schools applies to everyone or was specific to the person you were replying to? I've just never heard of this before:smile:

Yeah it's everyone, your 5th application has to be to a none medical school eg biology biochemistry etc.
Heya guys, tbh I feel like my GCSEs are a bit on the low side for Oxford :s-smilie: But if you don't take the risk you'll never know - right?

What did you get at GCSE? 6A*s, 3As, B
What A levels will you be studying? Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Computing and possibly an EPQ (I also might take a language outside of school)
What course will you be applying for? Physics or Maths (I don't know yet...) and maybe combined with Philosophy? What extra-curricular activities do you do? I'm a youth leader at my youth group, I play 5 instruments (but I've taken no gradings so I should probably get round to it soon). I used to co-lead my school's choir (I'm moving for 6th form...). I'm also in charge of a Facebook page for something weird. I've also read a lot of Physics/Maths books and I've been a non-paid leader at a sleepaway camp. Any colleges you're interested in? And why? I haven't started checking out colleges yet! Why Oxford and not Cambridge? Because I'm pretty certain about doing Physics and I don't really like the sound of Nat Sci.
Reply 35
Original post by iwishicouldfly14
Heya guys, tbh I feel like my GCSEs are a bit on the low side for Oxford :s-smilie: But if you don't take the risk you'll never know - right?

What did you get at GCSE? 6A*s, 3As, B
What A levels will you be studying? Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Computing and possibly an EPQ (I also might take a language outside of school)
What course will you be applying for? Physics or Maths (I don't know yet...) and maybe combined with Philosophy? What extra-curricular activities do you do? I'm a youth leader at my youth group, I play 5 instruments (but I've taken no gradings so I should probably get round to it soon). I used to co-lead my school's choir (I'm moving for 6th form...). I'm also in charge of a Facebook page for something weird. I've also read a lot of Physics/Maths books and I've been a non-paid leader at a sleepaway camp. Any colleges you're interested in? And why? I haven't started checking out colleges yet! Why Oxford and not Cambridge? Because I'm pretty certain about doing Physics and I don't really like the sound of Nat Sci.

Finally another physics/maths applicant :smile: If you take a look here, i think you will find that your GCSEs aren't on the low side: https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.stdominics.org.uk/media/uploads/Supporting%2520Students%2520-%2520NI.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjfppH6u-LOAhWFtxoKHYmDCVUQFggbMAA&usg=AFQjCNGTT01qY8sTfviZ2QVJCPOQ5QdATA&sig2=KtLP1Q9I8AoH3YzeC0-iew
(edited 7 years ago)
What did you get at GCSE? 11 A*s, also an A* in EPQ

What A levels will you be studying? Maths, Further Maths, Physics and English Literature

What course will you be applying for? Physics and Philosophy (tho I would love just physics as well)

What extra-curricular activities do you do? Err, a fair bit of music related stuff, R/C plane building, MUN and prolific (if i do say so myself) school newspaper writer

Any colleges you're interested in? And why? No idea, in the slightest yet,

Why Oxford and not Cambridge? Physics > Natsci imo (plus the philosophy option), and the bodleian library looks gorgeous (I like reading, sue me)
(edited 7 years ago)
GCSEs: 8A*s and 3As
Sixth form plans: doing the IB with maths, physics and chemistry at hl
Course interested in: Physics
Why oxford not cambridge? Prefer the physics course over nat sci although that could still end up being an option.
Anyone got any reading suggestions for physics?
How common is it for applicants to have like 13+ A*s?
Hi everyone!

What did you get at GCSE? 7 A*'s, 3 A's (and an A in EPQ)
What A levels will you be studying? English Lit, History and Geography (yes, that's right, only three:colondollar:)
What course will you be applying for? English!
What extra-curricular activities do you do? latin and ballroom dance, drama, was head girl so student council etc...
Any colleges you're interested in? And why? I'll take anything
Why Oxford and not Cambridge? I hear Oxford is better for English

Latest

Trending

Trending