The Student Room Group

Is it possible to do an apprenticeship and A-levels at the same time?

As above.
Original post by brainzistheword
As above.

An apprenticeship is a full time commitment. You could choose to self study A level in your own time and enter for exams as a private candidate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gdunne42
An apprenticeship is a full time commitment. You could choose to self study A level in your own time and enter for exams as a private candidate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So if I did this, you think I'd be able to do some A-levels privately and be able to do it?
So if I did this, you think I'd be able to do some A-levels privately and be able to do it?

I don't know anything about your aptitude or work ethic so don't really have any idea of what you might be capable of. Self study of an A level in your own time is hard work but definitely possible, many people do it. What A level do you want to do and why?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't know anything about your aptitude or work ethic so don't really have any idea of what you might be capable of. Self study of an A level in your own time is hard work but definitely possible, many people do it. What A level do you want to do and why?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I think it would be best if I did Maths and/or Further Maths, even though I was considering the sciences, but the practical aspects may be difficult to organise at this stage. I want to study it so that a) I have a better chance of getting into Uni should I choose to do so, and b) To keep myself learning and up-to-date with the newest content and qualifications so they don't become outdated.
Well I think it would be best if I did Maths and/or Further Maths, even though I was considering the sciences, but the practical aspects may be difficult to organise at this stage. I want to study it so that a) I have a better chance of getting into Uni should I choose to do so, and b) To keep myself learning and up-to-date with the newest content and qualifications so they don't become outdated.

If you have a good grade in maths GCSE and are able to discipline yourself to study in your own time then it's a realistic objective. You'll only find out by trying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
It is possible.
Back in highschool we had a spokesperson talking about how she did both A-levels and an apprenticeship at the same time.

You are going to have to work extra hard if you wish to do good on your A-levels, but hey when there's a will there is a way :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you want to keep your chances of going to univeristy open then you are better off doing A-Levels. You can always do an apprenticeship at 18 instead if you decide actually you don't want to go to university.
If you have a good grade in maths GCSE and are able to discipline yourself to study in your own time then it's a realistic objective. You'll only find out by trying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've just got an A* in my results this week, so that should put me in good stead, I think I will definitely give it a go though :smile: Thanks for your help.

Original post by Rodney98
It is possible.
Back in highschool we had a spokesperson talking about how she did both A-levels and an apprenticeship at the same time.

You are going to have to work extra hard if you wish to do good on your A-levels, but hey when there's a will there is a way :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wish we'd had that spokesperson. But yes, if I knew I could get everything organised for it, then there would definiitely be a will and a way :smile:

Original post by jelly1000
If you want to keep your chances of going to univeristy open then you are better off doing A-Levels. You can always do an apprenticeship at 18 instead if you decide actually you don't want to go to university.

Yes, I've come across a few people who have said this to me, but I don't think I can afford university, regardless of how much I want to go. But on the other hand being a private candidate for A-levels is costly :s-smilie:
I've just got an A* in my results this week, so that should put me in good stead, I think I will definitely give it a go though :smile: Thanks for your help.

I wish we'd had that spokesperson. But yes, if I knew I could get everything organised for it, then there would definiitely be a will and a way :smile:

Yes, I've come across a few people who have said this to me, but I don't think I can afford university, regardless of how much I want to go. But on the other hand being a private candidate for A-levels is costly :s-smilie:

What is there not to afford? You get a tuition fee loan to cover tuition fees and a maintainance loan which will go at least some way towards covering your living costs. If you are from a low income household then you'll get more money which should cover everything. And you don't pay it back until you earn over £21,000. Or you can look into degree apprenticeships.
Original post by jelly1000
What is there not to afford? You get a tuition fee loan to cover tuition fees and a maintainance loan which will go at least some way towards covering your living costs. If you are from a low income household then you'll get more money which should cover everything. And you don't pay it back until you earn over £21,000. Or you can look into degree apprenticeships.

Well everything is constantly changin with the loans and grants available and my living conditions make applying for them difficult as I have other people contributing to the household and other things too. But I am definitely weighing up my options and asking around :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending