The Student Room Group

English language skills for Cambridge

Hi guys,
I've finished my basic education in 2015 in Latvia with top grades for all of my seventeen subjects. Basically, I was offered a full bursary from one of English schools, and I'm doing my A-levels in England. So:
1. Do I have to sit English exam, or equivalent, before applying to Cambridge? I know about IELTS, but I don't think this applies to me, as I'm doing my A-levels here. My first spoken language is Russian, but I got a top grade for my English exam back in Latvia.
2. I got AAC for my AS exams (Maths, Further Maths, Geography) - how bad is it? That C is really annoying, because I was well-prepared, but I struggled with essays in Geography. However, my language skills are much better now, I'm planning to retake it. Also, I've been participating in many Maths challenges, including international ones. It would be really hard to give up on my dream to study Maths in Cambridge because of that C.. *sigh*
I think the IELTS is for international students so no, you shouldn't need to sit it because you're doing your A-Levels here. (If you're worried, speak to someone at your school or contact Cambridge's admissions to check)

Well you got As in Maths so I'd say that's most important. Though I do think Maths is supposed to be difficult to get accepted for. Honestly, if you have other things on your personal statement and you really make an impression (the personal statement is very important) then the C shouldn't really matter. It all depends on who sees your application and who else is applying when you are and how they appear. I'd still say go for it though and that you definitely have a chance! (You're probably in a better position than others, some people get lower grades and still accepted for interview. At the end of the day, only Cambridge know what they're looking for - so just put forward the best you can)

There are also lots of other great universities to look at too, so don't be too disheartened if it doesn't work out. Although Cambridge is excellent and is a very attractive place, there are other places where you will be able to achieve just as much.

Best of luck, I wish you well in your studies! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by deni.nedjalkova
Hi guys,
I've finished my basic education in 2015 in Latvia with top grades for all of my seventeen subjects. Basically, I was offered a full bursary from one of English schools, and I'm doing my A-levels in England. So:
1. Do I have to sit English exam, or equivalent, before applying to Cambridge? I know about IELTS, but I don't think this applies to me, as I'm doing my A-levels here. My first spoken language is Russian, but I got a top grade for my English exam back in Latvia.
2. I got AAC for my AS exams (Maths, Further Maths, Geography) - how bad is it? That C is really annoying, because I was well-prepared, but I struggled with essays in Geography. However, my language skills are much better now, I'm planning to retake it. Also, I've been participating in many Maths challenges, including international ones. It would be really hard to give up on my dream to study Maths in Cambridge because of that C.. *sigh*

1. They assess your English language skills when you go to the interview and will add the IELTS requirement to your Offer (if you get one..) if necessary.
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/international-students/entrance-requirements

2. If you are applying for Maths then your maths is the only important thing. Although its worth noting that most Maths applicants will have physics A-level too. They won't be worried by a C in Geography. What was your maths UMS?
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you for your advice and support, I really need it now :smile: Yeah, I know that there are many other good universities as well, but Cambridge has always been a cherry on top of a cake for me.
Original post by jneill
1. They assess your English language skills at interview and will add the IELTS requirement to your Offer (if you get one..) if necessary.

2. If you are applying for Maths then your maths is the only important thing. Although its worth noting that most Maths applicants will have physics A-level too. They won't be worried by a C in Geography. What was your maths UMS?

298 for Maths and 264 for Further Maths
Reply 5
If those are your only A levels (maths, further maths and geography) then you'll need to pick up a fourth subject this year to take as a full A level. They don't accept further maths as a third A level, only as a fourth subject.*

Might I recommend Russian if that's your first language. *
Original post by giella
If those are your only A levels (maths, further maths and geography) then you'll need to pick up a fourth subject this year to take as a full A level. They don't accept further maths as a third A level, only as a fourth subject.*

Actually, I'm taking ICT as well, but I thought about dropping it this year. Do you mean I can't do it now? I didn't know about further maths..
Reply 7
Original post by giella

Not true. 3 A-levels including FM are absolutely fine and not uncommon, especially for maths applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
298 for Maths and 264 for Further Maths

Hmm... 264/300 is a bit on the low side, especially compared to the very good 298. Was it one module dragging you down a bit?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by jneill
Not true. 3 A-levels including FM are absolutely fine and not uncommon, especially for maths applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not for Cambridge and not the case at most top ranked universities. *
Reply 10
It's also the case at Cambridge that most applicants have physics in the mix as well.*
Original post by jneill
Hmm... 264/300 is a bit on the low side, especially compared to the very good 298. Was it one module dragging you down a bit?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was 90 for S1, 94 for D1 and 80 for FP1. I don't even know what happened, because I was well prepared.. It was my best module through the whole year
Original post by giella

Actually they don't care about how you do in a language (except for English ability, not grade) if you're applying for maths. The only thing they're interested is her ability and potential in maths.

Also, may top RG unis (including oxbridge) ignore the grade in your first language, unless you're applying to study it.
So it won't help OP in application of other top uni, either.
Reply 13
Original post by giella
Not for Cambridge and not the case at most top ranked universities. *

It IS the case for Cambridge and Warwick and Imperial. I'm not bothering to check anywhere else...

Note, OP is applying for Maths.

But, just for clarity, if they were applying for, say, Geography (or anything else), Cambridge for one definitely treats FM as an acceptable A-level in its own right and a further A-level is not required.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
It was 90 for S1, 94 for D1 and 80 for FP1. I don't even know what happened, because I was well prepared.. It was my best module through the whole year

Ok, so you should still get an interview in that case.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Ok, so you should still get an interview in that case.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for support. AS results were quite disappointing for me, because I know I can do a lot better.

Quick Reply

Latest