The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sugar & spice
Hey! Please excuse that i seem to be doing the thread so late; although i have been silently peeking from the very beginning.

Thank you prince for your ever so helpful responses, they came in handy for me as well.

However, i have one small concern lingering in my head that i wish to clarify.

I really do not know how cringe this is, but does it matter if you are not at a top non-russell group uni? (i.e. not Bath, Surrey etc)?
Do these things really matter or do they consider applications on an individual basis?

It unfortunately does matter, but can be overcome with the right stuff on your CV.

Give it a bash anyway, as you never know what may happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sugar & spice
Hey! Please excuse that i seem to be doing the thread so late; although i have been silently peeking from the very beginning.

Thank you prince for your ever so helpful responses, they came in handy for me as well.

However, i have one small concern lingering in my head that i wish to clarify.

I really do not know how cringe this is, but does it matter if you are not at a top non-russell group uni? (i.e. not Bath, Surrey etc)?
Do these things really matter or do they consider applications on an individual basis?

Might be worth applying for Middle office spring weeks for banks that have them (Goldman do).
Original post by Terry Tibbs
Might be worth applying for Middle office spring weeks for banks that have them (Goldman do).

If he wants to work in the front office he should apply for front office Spring weeks.
Original post by Trapz99
If he wants to work in the front office he should apply for front office Spring weeks.
Well that's all well and good but having a spring week regardless of it being FO or MO is better than not having one at all, spreading your apps over different divisions (ones without target bias) particularly at the more competitive banks like goldman can hedge against that.
Well that's all well and good but having a spring week regardless of it being FO or MO is better than not having one at all, spreading your apps over different divisions (ones without target bias) particularly at the more competitive banks like goldman can hedge against that.

Actually, Goldman has a more progressive outlook at non-targets in comparison to other banks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Actually, Goldman has a more progressive outlook at non-targets in comparison to other banks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it only me or is there a certain prestige that emanates from goldman but not from Barclay's CS etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
True but you're still competing against arguably the best candidates so the statistics really aren't on your side in comparison to other banks.

Original post by Gladiatorsword
Is it only me or is there a certain prestige that emanates from goldman but not from Barclay's CS etc?Posted from TSR Mobile

Goldman JPM and MS generally have more prestige than the other BBs.
(edited 7 years ago)
Is it only me or is there a certain prestige that emanates from goldman but not from Barclay's CS etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah, students just like to overemphasise what they perceive as 'prestige'. GS is good, but not in everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spoiler

Original post by Adrono

Spoiler

Hmm, who does this remind me of...
True but you're still competing against arguably the best candidates so the statistics really aren't on your side in comparison to other banks.

That's the case for most banks.. There's a lot of cross over of applicants across all of the BBs. But, GS specifically look for a certain type of personality that may not be found in the traditional Eton > 4A*s > Oxbridge candidates, if you understand what I mean.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm, who does this remind me of...

Who lol
(edited 7 years ago)
A bit off topic (but this thread is active)
Does anyone know where I can read the 'Vault Guide to Banking' for free?
If not are there any other good reads?

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's the case for most banks.. There's a lot of cross over of applicants across all of the BBs. But, GS specifically look for a certain type of personality that may not be found in the traditional Eton > 4A*s > Oxbridge candidates, if you understand what I mean.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The point is you're more likely to be left off having a spring week if you go for some less competitive divisions, I'd certainly rather have one even if it wasn't FO than non at all.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Adrono
Who lol
A numpty that posted here often who has since been banned.

Original post by AdeptDz
A bit off topic (but this thread is active)
Does anyone know where I can read the 'Vault Guide to Banking' for free?
If not are there any other good reads?

Posted from TSR Mobile
http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/files/Investment%20banking%20European%20Edition%202013.pdf here you go

http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/files/Investment%20banking%20European%20Edition%202013.pdf here you go

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
The point is you're more likely to be left off having a spring week if you go for some less competitive divisions, I'd certainly rather have one even if it wasn't FO than non at all.

Fair.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have the Consulting 1 too?
Original post by Hamo2509
I presume that's for the lunatics that do four or five A2s

That would be me

Latest

Trending

Trending