The Student Room Group

My life is ruined isn't it?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sr90
I left school at 15/16 with no GCSE's and I haven't done too badly for myself

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?
Go to college do something you're interested in and resit English/maths if you haven't got them.
I left school with not great grades because I barely attended so never knew what was going on. I went to college and now my grades are better than ever and I aspire to go to uni next year.

So your life isn't over yet, keep going 🙂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also every fail, push harder for what you want.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 43
retake English gcse and maybe another gcse so you have 5 GCSEs in total which is a minimum for a lot these days
It isn't the end of the world!!
You're clearly good at chemistry and physics so find a future career in that. Obviously you'd have to also retake some GCSEs but also tAke up an apprenticeship, find work experience, watch videos/ use free online resources to help you retake your GCSEs. Talk to your school/college about retakes.
If you work hard from now on you won't have to worry about failing your GCSEs first time round- you can turn things around- find work experience as employers really do give preference to those who have experience- even universities can give a person a place because of work experience if you can persuade them to take you in
But first retake some important GCSEs and for that you'll have to work really hard!!
Don't worry about it, kid. I'm assuming, if you've just got your GCSE results, that you're 16. There's nothing you can screw up at that age that you can't come back from. Believe me! I got 6 GCSE's, failed 6th form at 17, then just did a lot of nothing for 6 or 7 years before entering 2 years fairly heavy drug abuse when I was 23/24. A massive mental and emotional collapse followed, after which I became a recluse for about 5 years, completely missing my mid-late 20's, barely working, barely going out, barely talking to anyone. I did, however, manage to get myself out of the house once a week to do 'A' levels in English and Psychology, completed my degree last year and am now in the process of applying for my masters.

It's taken me around 10 years to get over all the shenanigans, but the point is that at 16 you should not be worrying about your life being ruined. It isn't. It's just beginning.

The future is unwritten, to quote the great Joe Strummer.
(edited 7 years ago)
There will have been people at your school (e.g. your head of year, a guidance tutor, and/or a university/career adviser) that should be able to help you. When I dropped out of school I was hounded by an adviser affiliated with the school, and after five months eventually went to pay him a visit at his office in my local library and he helped me apply to a college where I could resit my qualifications. *

Fast forward six years and a degree later, and I've decided to change the route I want to follow from the creative industries to the sciences. But I have no relative qualifications whatsoever as my subject choices had been tailored to applying to degrees related to the creative industries. The first thing I did was contact an undergraduate advisor at the university I am aiming for to see if my goals were reasonable, and he talked me through my best options on how to work my way up to being considered as an applicant. Then I contacted several colleges, explaining what he had told me and applying to courses of various levels, and finally at the fourth college I was offered a place. :smile:

So talk to people. Contact educators and advisors and work out the best route you can take to get to where it is you want to go. It is part of there job to advise and help you and, as you will see from the above, it has definitely helped me a lot and is what has gotten me on the path I want to take.. :smile:
Original post by sinfonietta
There will have been people at your school (e.g. your head of year, a guidance tutor, and/or a university/career adviser) that should be able to help you. When I dropped out of school I was hounded by an adviser affiliated with the school, and after five months eventually went to pay him a visit at his office in my local library and he helped me apply to a college where I could resit my qualifications. *

Fast forward six years and a degree later, and I've decided to change the route I want to follow from the creative industries to the sciences. But I have no relative qualifications whatsoever as my subject choices had been tailored to applying to degrees related to the creative industries. The first thing I did was contact an undergraduate advisor at the university I am aiming for to see if my goals were reasonable, and he talked me through my best options on how to work my way up to being considered as an applicant. Then I contacted several colleges, explaining what he had told me and applying to courses of various levels, and finally at the fourth college I was offered a place. :smile:

So talk to people. Contact educators and advisors and work out the best route you can take to get to where it is you want to go. It is part of there job to advise and help you and, as you will see from the above, it has definitely helped me a lot and is what has gotten me on the path I want to take.. :smile:

Hey.:smile:

Out of interest, what made you want to change route from creative industries to the sciences?
Original post by sinfonietta

Hey.:smile:

Out of interest, what made you want to change route from creative industries to the sciences?
Resit your GCSEs
Reply 50
How can I persuade sixth form to let me do A levels too?
I literally feel the same. I've failed my AS levels with DUU and feel like **** now. My sixth form wont let me do the subjects I want to do. I want to retake year 12 and do these subjects again because I know I can do it but one sixth form rejected me. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol funny how you kids think GCSEs are so important, I passed none still went to uni but dropped out, earn more money than any graduate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Apply for an apprenticeship or find a job. Although I don't regret going to university, I only went because I wanted to learn a skill (languages), not for career purposes. If you start working in any entry level career, you can work your way up to a management role.
Reply 54
Original post by Kryptonian
I can't do A levels, can't go to Uni, failed GCSEs only passed 3.

Now what am I supposed to do? I have no idea what to do next... :frown:
Please advise what's best to do now I'm so sad and confused

I basically failed GCSEs years ago... I now have a 1st honours undergraduate degree and about to do a masters. In the grand scheme of life, GCSEs have been the most pointless qualification to date. There's far more better qualifications out there that can get you to Univerisity. Look at what you really want to do in life and find out what steps you need to take to get there.
I don't understand how you can apparently care about your GCSEs, and understand the consequences of ending up with your set of results, and still only pass three.
Reply 56
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I don't understand how you can apparently care about your GCSEs, and understand the consequences of ending up with your set of results, and still only pass three.

Of course I didn't say I am going to get 3 GCSEs. It just happened.
Original post by Kryptonian
Of course I didn't say I am going to get 3 GCSEs. It just happened.

Look mate it all depends on what career you want to persue.. I passed none all I got were Ds I can honestly say its made zero difference in my life. If you aim to be a dr then yes it will hinder you, if not then it makes no difference. I dont even mention GCSEs on my cv anymore Im in my mid 20s and they just dont matter. I still went to uni and dropped out, yet still have a career.. I will admit though a degree is worth getting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Original post by Compton Menace
Look mate it all depends on what career you want to persue.. I passed none all I got were Ds I can honestly say its made zero difference in my life. If you aim to be a dr then yes it will hinder you, if not then it makes no difference. I dont even mention GCSEs on my cv anymore Im in my mid 20s and they just dont matter. I still went to uni and dropped out, yet still have a career.. I will admit though a degree is worth getting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I want to do a chemistry degree and thanks for your advice
Original post by sr90
I left school at 15/16 with no GCSE's and I haven't done too badly for myself

We get it, you're on the TSR support team

Quick Reply

Latest