The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2360
Caleb Sturgis just won best football injury ever. Concussion due to a punted ball hitting him in the head in warm ups. Not helping the Kickers aren't football players stereotype.
Original post by Monkey_Pete
There is a low quality version posted on the subreddit episode discussion (google drive 480p version)

Yeah there's a lot of low quality ones now, I'm watching one. Weird how it has been pretty locked down when more high profile shows just go up no problems.

Original post by Wattsy
Caleb Sturgis just won best football injury ever. Concussion due to a punted ball hitting him in the head in warm ups. Not helping the Kickers aren't football players stereotype.

Haha true, but you must have to punt the **** out of a ball to do that!
Caught up with both episodes of hard knocks last night.

Hard not to really care about the team when you get the back story etc.

Did like how it showed their comeback in the game, not mentioning that cowboys had benched all of their starters by this point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Motorbiker
Caught up with both episodes of hard knocks last night.

Hard not to really care about the team when you get the back story etc.

Did like how it showed their comeback in the game, not mentioning that cowboys had benched all of their starters by this point.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's just a given in pre-season though. I mean Sean Mannion was in.

I like how the Hard Knocks producers have used the classic trope of putting black people near water for 3 seasons in a row now.

Also RG3 looked pretty good this week. Pryor looks like a very solid WR3.
In other preseason news, anyone else joining in the Dak Attack Hype train?
Reply 2366
Original post by Kenan and Kel

This reminds me of 80s/90s premier league footballers terrible songs.
that video is equal parts awesome and cringe
Tony Romo has left another game injured, if this continues he can't last much longer in the league.
Reply 2369
I'll just put out there that having got to grips with the Joey Bosa contract saga I think Spanos is an idiot, either the family sells up or father fires son here. This thing with Bosa is ridiculous.

You own an NFL team so by default you have lots of money. The CBA gives rookies a pay scale so their salaries are fairly fixed. Since that CBA agreement in 2011 every #3 pick has gotten either offset language or signing bonus paid up-front. These are basically the only two things which are regularly negotiated in 1st round rookie contracts. This is the first time since 2011 the Chargers have had such a high pick. They have therefore not had these negotiations before (more likely with T10 picks). They think that because they have never done this before that they should not have to do it at all despite this situation being entirely different to any 1st rounder they have had since 2011. The league precedent is that this compromise is made and rookies get one or the other when they get drafted #3 overall but the Chargers have fallen victim to unwarranted exceptionalism. The signing bonus issue essentially costs the Chargers $2.5M more this year. They are, according to overthecap.com paying $147.5M in salaries this year. Despite this they are willing to either write off their #3 pick for the 2016 season due to lack of preparation or lose him to the 2017 draft. Over 2.5M.*

The owner is worth $1.7bn. I fail to understand how this can even be an issue. I'd say kudos to Joey Bosa for not caving to the pressure and that the Chargers very public shaming of Bosa and his representatives in the past week reprehensible. If he plays like an organisation wants a #3 pick to play then there is no way he'll be interested in taking an early season offer when second contract time arrives. He's almost guaranteed to want to test FA because he's seen the Chargers low balling habits already.*
Romo officially injured with broken back. Dak to start the season and be the best QB from the latest draft? Dak to be the new Brady of great QB not drafted in first few rounds? Hype train, wooo wooo
I can't believe the hype RG3 is getting from nfl.com. He's gonna be a broken man in a months time if he keeps getting sacked 7 times a half.
Original post by Wattsy
I'll just put out there that having got to grips with the Joey Bosa contract saga I think Spanos is an idiot, either the family sells up or father fires son here. This thing with Bosa is ridiculous.

You own an NFL team so by default you have lots of money. The CBA gives rookies a pay scale so their salaries are fairly fixed. Since that CBA agreement in 2011 every #3 pick has gotten either offset language or signing bonus paid up-front. These are basically the only two things which are regularly negotiated in 1st round rookie contracts. This is the first time since 2011 the Chargers have had such a high pick. They have therefore not had these negotiations before (more likely with T10 picks). They think that because they have never done this before that they should not have to do it at all despite this situation being entirely different to any 1st rounder they have had since 2011. The league precedent is that this compromise is made and rookies get one or the other when they get drafted #3 overall but the Chargers have fallen victim to unwarranted exceptionalism. The signing bonus issue essentially costs the Chargers $2.5M more this year. They are, according to overthecap.com paying $147.5M in salaries this year. Despite this they are willing to either write off their #3 pick for the 2016 season due to lack of preparation or lose him to the 2017 draft. Over 2.5M.*

The owner is worth $1.7bn. I fail to understand how this can even be an issue. I'd say kudos to Joey Bosa for not caving to the pressure and that the Chargers very public shaming of Bosa and his representatives in the past week reprehensible. If he plays like an organisation wants a #3 pick to play then there is no way he'll be interested in taking an early season offer when second contract time arrives. He's almost guaranteed to want to test FA because he's seen the Chargers low balling habits already.*

The only team that gives top 5 picks offset language and an up front signing bonus is the Jags...which really underscores how incompetently that they are run with. From what I read half of the top 5 signings get both offset language and deffered language in their rookie contract. Jameis Winsyon had both, and much more deffered when he signed last year. The chargers have always had deffered language and offset language, and it is one way of protecting themselves against the Ryan Leaf type busts. As a team they are only looking after their interests. Wentz and Goff have offset language. The Chargers want to defer around 15pc of the first year signing bonus for tax purposes.

For a team mate of Bosa though. He's being incredibly selfish. He's ultimately chosen to ruin his rookie year, by not being on the practice room, in the gym and in the class room. The only way he will become an NFL talent...is by practicing against NFL talent. all of this affects him. For 15pc of his rookie contract, he'd rather hold out, miss his rookie season...lose the respect of his peers...and go through the draft process again?! therefore, resulting in the loss of millions by being drafted lower than 3rd overall as he'd be going up much more talented college players...only to be one more year removed from Free Agency. He wouldn't test free agency if he doesn't sign his contract...he'd go through the draft again, except the Chargers won't be able to draft him. They'd lose tehir rights, but they might get a 6th round pick as compensation.

I can't believe the Chargers were stupid enough to draft him 3rd overall...Ejected from his last ever college game...a bowl game...and he was nothing without Noah Spence. He dominated against college talent...in 2013, but crashed the past two years. DeForest Bucker...Jalen Ramsey, Myles Jack, Ronnie Stanley, Laramy Tunsil...anyone, would have improved them. try going up against Myles Garrett, Cam Robinson, Leonard Fournette, Deshaun Watson, Dalvin Cook, and all of the amazing talent in next year's draft. He'd drop like a rock...and that's not including the fallout from this.
Bronco fan here since I started watching in 2013. First game I ever watched was Broncos-Cowboys when Manning walked it in from that bootleg before anyone calls me a bandwagon.
Reply 2374
I refuse to believe that the Jags are incompetently run, maybe before the DC/Bradley era you'd have had a point. Rookies cost nothing in the grand scheme. Dave Caldwell has drafted some serious players and the Jags cap guy is a creative genius. All of their contracts, even the big ones are team friendly and allow relatively painless cuts after a two year period. You want to see bad cap management just look at the Saints from about 2013 until now. Their dead money number is HUGE! Rookies didn't do that. Bad personnel management at the minute is probably the 49ers crown in the post-Harbaugh era but the Chargers antics mean they're climbing that leaderboard.

And welcome Boredomstrikes. We tend not to start throwing 'bandwagon' around in here. We're generally not American and had to find our team some way. Usually people are attracted to good teams and there is no shame in that. I wouldn't wish 2014 Jags football on anyone. Giving up 3rd and 15 with like 80% consistency is the most infuriating thing ever.

Edit 2: Gus Bradley however, I'm less sold. Apparently last night was a dumpster fire of coaching calamities.*
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ..DT..
I can't believe the hype RG3 is getting from nfl.com. He's gonna be a broken man in a months time if he keeps getting sacked 7 times a half.

Yeah, I want to believe the hype but I kind of can't.

1. Yes he's "learnt to slide" as in he knows he's supposed to do it now. He still looks awkward as **** when he tries it and will probably get a cleat caught in the turf at some point. Having their starting QB injure himself while making a play specifically designed to avoid injury is a virtual inevitability for the Cleveland Browns because of course it is.

2. The O line is good on paper but sucks in real life because losing Schwarz and especially Mack screwed up the continuity.

3. When the O line does OK he still gets himself sacked a fair amount.

4. When he does get hit, which is a lot, his body reacts terribly. Whereas the elite QBs have trained themselves to tuck and roll when they get hit, RG3 seems to have trained all his limbs to fire out in different directions in the most dramatic fashion possible to maximise the number of things that can get injured.

But I don't care I still want to see him pass for 4200 yards and run for another 800.
Original post by jammy4041
The only team that gives top 5 picks offset language and an up front signing bonus is the Jags...which really underscores how incompetently that they are run with. From what I read half of the top 5 signings get both offset language and deffered language in their rookie contract. Jameis Winsyon had both, and much more deffered when he signed last year. The chargers have always had deffered language and offset language, and it is one way of protecting themselves against the Ryan Leaf type busts. As a team they are only looking after their interests. Wentz and Goff have offset language. The Chargers want to defer around 15pc of the first year signing bonus for tax purposes.

Offset language doesn't really help the team that much though. If you cut a first rounder still on his rookie contract, chances are that guy either is out of the league so the team pays the same amount, or he signs for someone for less than 1m, so that's the amount you save, and the player essentially plays that year for free (he earns the same amount as if he'd sat out).

So in my view it's basically neither here nor there financially for both parties, but it's emotionally tough on the player because they might have to play their prove it year without earning money. That's probably why agents don't like it. So basically by not having offset language you pay out an extra <1m every time you cut a first rounder (let's say it costs 100k a year, worst case scenario), and in return you have a favourable relationship with the agents around the league who also happen to represent the players you will hopefully most want to re-sign.
(edited 7 years ago)
looks like Bosa has signed, with some concessions on both sides
Reply 2378
He has signed, I'm glad that's happened just because he might take some part in the season. No fan base should be deprived of seeing their first rounder.
Looks like the Vikings season could be over already.

Quick Reply

Latest