The Student Room Group

How do you get an unconditional offer?

What makes universities give a student an unconditional
Normally its only if you already hold grades, otherwise sometimes universities will use it as a sort of marketing tool to make them look like a better choice as then you dont have to worry about grades.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Normally its only if you already hold grades, otherwise sometimes universities will use it as a sort of marketing tool to make them look like a better choice as then you dont have to worry about grades.

By 'already hold grades' do you mean AS levels? i.e. an AAA uni giving you an unconditional offer say if you got high UMS at AS level?
Original post by joddcfc
By 'already hold grades' do you mean AS levels? i.e. an AAA uni giving you an unconditional offer say if you got high UMS at AS level?

No, A level grades
Original post by joddcfc

For example, if you completed your A levels, got decent grades and then applied to uni a year later, then you would get an unconditional offer as you already hold the grades that the uni want.
Reply 5
Original post by A-LJLB
No, A level grades

Original post by leahbaker_x
For example, if you completed your A levels, got decent grades and then applied to uni a year later, then you would get an unconditional offer as you already hold the grades that the uni want.

Ah okay, fair enough, thanks :smile:
Hey, I had an AAA offer at UCL which was my firm choice and about a week or two before results day, they made the offer unconditional without my knowing about it. I didn't already have the grades and still not sure why they made it unconditional but not complaining haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
A lot of universities have started giving out unconditionals to people who have not yet completed their A levels as a way of tying them to the university so that they can be sure they are going to have people they want coming to them in September, instead of having to use Clearing to fill their courses. Many of these offers are only unconditional if the university is put as a firm choice. Otherwise it is a conditional offer.

This has many advantages for the university, but fewer for the applicant than they think. It tends to influence people into choosing a university they may not have chosen as their firm originally, because they are flattered or because they want the security of knowing they are in somewhere. That sometimes leads to complacency and not doing well in the exams because there is less incentive. It's important to realise that accepting an unconditional offer leaves you without an insurance - you can't fail to meet conditions if there aren't any - and without entitlement to enter Adjustment. You are effectively going to your firm whatever, unless you ask to be released into clearing and start from scratch there. Given the hundreds of threads started by members who suddenly discovered they wanted to go to their insurance and not their firm in the few weeks before results day, accepting an unconditional is a risky business.

Remember, it's for the university's benefit, not the applicants. It's done as a marketing strategy by universities and courses which may otherwise struggle to fill places. That's not a universal truth, of course, but it is for the majority of occasions. If you get an unconditional offer, put your cynical hat on and ask what's in it for them, as opposed to what's in it for you. If those two sides marry up, then that's great, but if they don't, don't be flattered into taking something you don't really want. It's not a sign that you are super-special.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
A lot of universities have started giving out unconditionals to people who have not yet completed their A levels as a way of tying them to the university so that they can be sure they are going to have people they want coming to them in September, instead of having to use Clearing to fill their courses. Many of these offers are only unconditional if the university is put as a firm choice. Otherwise it is a conditional offer.

This has many advantages for the university, but fewer for the applicant than they think. It tends to influence people into choosing a university they may not have chosen as their firm originally, because they are flattered or because they want the security of knowing they are in somewhere. That sometimes leads to complacency and not doing well in the exams because there is less incentive. It's important to realise that accepting an unconditional offer leaves you without an insurance - you can't fail to meet conditions if there aren't any - and without entitlement to enter Adjustment. You are effectively going to your firm whatever, unless you ask to be released into clearing and start from scratch there. Given the hundreds of threads started by members who suddenly discovered they wanted to go to their insurance and not their firm in the few weeks before results day, accepting an unconditional is a risky business.

Remember, it's for the university's benefit, not the applicants. It's done as a marketing strategy by universities and courses which may otherwise struggle to fill places. That's not a universal truth, of course, but it is for the majority of occasions. If you get an unconditional offer, put your cynical hat on and ask what's in it for them, as opposed to what's in it for you. If those two sides marry up, then that's great, but if they don't, don't be flattered into taking something you don't really want. It's not a sign that you are super-special.

My offer was conditional until the 13th of August and was then made unconditional, was this because they wanted me at the uni or because unis receive A level results a week earlier than us and they'd already seen that I'd met the grade requirements for the offer?
Original post by arch0wnz
My offer was conditional until the 13th of August and was then made unconditional, was this because they wanted me at the uni or because unis receive A level results a week earlier than us and they'd already seen that I'd met the grade requirements for the offer?

That might be the case. Once you're in the Uni, it automatically goes from conditional to unconditional to show you have got a place.

I had a conditional offer from my insurance but that had turned unconditional 5 weeks ago. So I don't think it's only if it's your firm. It's most likely as someone above said, they have space and rather have people who are closer to get the grade requirements than taking their chances with clearing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That might be the case. Once you're in the Uni, it automatically goes from conditional to unconditional to show you have got a place.

I had a conditional offer from my insurance but that had turned unconditional 5 weeks ago. So I don't think it's only if it's your firm. It's most likely as someone above said, they have space and rather have people who are closer to get the grade requirements than taking their chances with clearing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The universities get them sometime from the previous Friday onwards, so yes, they would have known by then, but they are not supposed to break the embargo on early releasing of results. Some did, this year, though.

Quick Reply