The Student Room Group

Help I need to choose my options but I don't know what to do.

Now I've got my GCSEs and I'm able to get back into my sixth form I need to finalise my options but I don't know what to do.

Originally I was considering Business, Geography, Biology and Psychology.
However, now I'm considering replacing business with either media or art but i really don't know. What would be a good mix for Universities.

Thanks for your help.
What do you want to do at university
This entirely depends on what you want to do at uni, but I feel like Art or Media doesn't quite fit in with Biology, Geography and Psychology. Business, although still doesn't quite match up with you're sciencey subjects, I suppose is a more desirable A level and potentially more helpful, but again, that depends on your choice of degree.
Reply 3
Honestly, unless you hate them, take maths and sciences. When you apply to university you will realise how important and flexible these subjects are
Reply 4
Original post by RelucBeam
What do you want to do at university

That's the problem I'm not sure! I literally have no idea what I want to do and nothing is really my strength at school so that doesn't help!
Reply 5
Original post by Nicoley-oley
This entirely depends on what you want to do at uni, but I feel like Art or Media doesn't quite fit in with Biology, Geography and Psychology. Business, although still doesn't quite match up with you're sciencey subjects, I suppose is a more desirable A level and potentially more helpful, but again, that depends on your choice of degree.

Yeah but I have no clue as to what I want to do
Reply 6
Original post by Glib
Honestly, unless you hate them, take maths and sciences. When you apply to university you will realise how important and flexible these subjects are

Maths has never been my strength and I'm not sure that I'm that good at chemistry and I really dislike physics
If you don't know what you wanna do and are not that good at maths than go for whatever subject you find more interesting!
I picked history as my 4th A level because I thought it would "look better" and because I thought I wanted to do a degree with a lot of essay writing involved. You know what? Biggest regret ever. Not only was history a torture - literally I felt so miserable all year just thinking about the fact that I would have to go to a lesson the next day! - it turns out I would have been better off doing something else because I finally found the degree that I am truly passionate about and history doesn't even really "fit in" that well.
Do whatever you find more interesting and you think you would achieve the highest grade on - at the end of the day, that's the most important, in my opinion anyway.
OP ignore the stuff about maths and sciences its nonsense.

1. Start by trying to sort out what subjects your school offers at A level.
2. Then identify which subjects you enjoy studying, that you are good at and stand a chance of getting a good grade in. Its the grades that matter.
3. Start having a look at what degree you might want to study at Uni, just leafing through one of the university guides will show you what you cna study. It might be an arts degree, science, social science, media course. You ahve to do some research.
4. Consider what career/job youd be interested in doing after, that might require a particular degree, which might require particular A levels.

If you make progress on the above things become clear. Its important that you do a degree that fits in with whatever career you do and A levels that mean you cna apply to Uni to do whatever degree that is. Grades are very importnat hence doing the subjects you enjoy and can do well in. Getting low grades in subjects you thought were importnat will not help you get into uni.

Have a look at this video for facilitating subjects and produced on behalf of Russell group Unis.
http://russellgroup.ac.uk/for-students/school-and-college-in-the-uk/subject-choices-at-school-and-college/

Quick Reply

Latest