The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

I've just looked and can't believe how Keele's offer is A*AA😱

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 741
Hi guys,

I just wanted to ask for some help as to where I should apply to stand the best of chance of getting an interview. My stats are as follows:

GCSE: 6A* (all sciences, maths, Persian and geography) 5A (both englishs, business, art, French)
A2 achieved grades: A* A* A (Chem, maths and bio respectively)
UKCAT- ill be doing this halfway through sept (but I'm struggling with it so much. I hate it!!!)
I also have relevant work experience at a care home, pharmacy located in a GP, and a week placement shadowing doctors.

Would they still take my as grades into consideration even though I have my achieved a2 grades? Because my as grades aren't as impressive as my A2 ones :/

Also what unis would I have an advantage for? Is there a uni where getting /being predicted more A* benefits you?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by michaela__
I've just looked and can't believe how Keele's offer is A*AA😱

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's grade inflation for you.
A*AA is slowly becoming the new AAA.
I reckon in five years time, nearly all unis will be asking for A*AA.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
It's grade inflation for you.
A*AA is slowly becoming the new AAA.
I reckon in five years time, nearly all unis will be asking for A*AA.

They are cutting down on grade inflation apparently so I hope it doesn't have to go that far 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
They are cutting down on grade inflation apparently so I hope it doesn't have to go that far 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know that the A* achievement rate dropped down by 0.1%. But blimey, it's a pretty slow way to cut down haha.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
I know that the A* achievement rate dropped down by 0.1%. But blimey, it's a pretty slow way to cut down haha.

Haha😂 I've heard it's because the exam boards kept increasing the amount of A's and A*s (well my teachers told me this) and that each year they are only allowed to increase/decrease the amount of a particular grade by 1% to keep it fair to the years prior and later on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 746
I don't know if I can get into medicine. Here are my stats:
GCSE's : 4 A*s, 11 A's
AS Level: 3 A's in Chem, Bio, Maths, 1 B in Physics
A2 Level (I'm taking a gap year): A* in Bio, A in Chem, and B in Maths :frown:
UKCAT: VR: 680
AR: 850
QR: 850
SJT: Band 2
Average: 793
I'm happy with my UKCAT score, but I don't know if my B grade in A-level Maths would allow me to apply to certain Unis. Does anyone know if I can still apply to KCL or Queen Mary's, or Bristol, because I know that some unis for medicine have really strict A-Level policies.
Any help is appreciated.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'll try and keep in contact with you nearer the time then ☺️ good luck to you too! And absolutely awful, like yes I have 3 weeks to revise which is good but TSR is scary with people getting 700+😭 I feel like I'm practicing and it's going nowhere because normally with A Levels etc my grade would improve so quickly after some revision so I guess I need to be patient lol😭 wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!! Haha don't worry you have ages! I'm sure you'll have it perfected by then
Is anyone here thinking of applying to HYMS?
Reply 749
Hey everyone. I'm new on TSR. I am a Scottish applicant and i just did my ukcat today. I was a bit disappointed with my score. I got 650 avg and a Band 2 in the SJT. My other stats are;
7As in National 5 Business, Geography, History, Maths, French, Chemistry, Biology and a B in National 5
English.
In my highers I got 4As in Maths,Chemistry, Biology and Business and a B in History.
In S6 I got A in Advanced Higher Biology, B in Advanced Higher Chemistry and a A in Higher Geography.
what do people think of my chances of getting an interview from the Scottish unis. Any feedback would be much appreciated!
Hello guys I have below average stats (compared to TSR anyway):
GCSEs: 4A*s 5As
AS: A in maths B in physics, other 2 were internal (A in Bio and A in chem)
A level: Predicted A*AA
UKCAT: 693 average SJ band 3 :frown:
Which Unis should I be looking at most, currently I'm thinking St george's, Imperial, Southampton and UEA.
Is anyone here thinking of applying to HYMS?

I am!!! I'm applying to universities that don't particularly focus on AS grades as much so unis like Cardiff, Sheffield, Newcastle, HYMS, UEA and Exeter are all possibilities...

I got 8A*s 2As at GCSE but ABBB at AS (looking back now, I probably should have revised :colondollar:) but I will (hopefully) be predicted AAA, meaning I can apply this year and hope my AS grades don't hold me back.

Taking UKCAT on the 10th of September :-) (No BMAT)

What other unis are you thinking of applying to?
Original post by aRandomGuy
I am!!! I'm applying to universities that don't particularly focus on AS grades as much so unis like Cardiff, Sheffield, Newcastle, HYMS, UEA and Exeter are all possibilities...

I got 8A*s 2As at GCSE but ABBB at AS (looking back now, I probably should have revised :colondollar:) but I will (hopefully) be predicted AAA, meaning I can apply this year and hope my AS grades don't hold me back.

Taking UKCAT on the 10th of September :-) (No BMAT)

What other unis are you thinking of applying to?

Hardly any uni's are looking at AS so it won't affect you which is good, well done on all your grades tho they are amazing ☺️ same as you Newcastle, Sheffield, HYSM, but also Liverpool and Manchester and SGUL. I'm taking mine on the 15th September ☺️ let me know how yours goes as if we are both applying to similar uni's I'd love to keep in contact! x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is anyone considering applying to Barts?
Original post by Dohaeris
Is anyone considering applying to Barts?

I'm thinking about it, but I'm not completely certain :smile:
Reply 755
Original post by Pra99
Also, I got 281/300 UMS in maths with 94 average. Is this good enough for Cambridge?

Bump
I achieved 12 A* at GCSE and 4 A at AS in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and English Language. My current work experience comprises mainly of volunteering because where I live it is very difficult to find clinical work experience as everyone knows each other so patient confidentiality laws mean it usually isn't possible. Also, the closest larger hospital is about 50 minutes away so I can't get there very easily and I don't have any medic relatives. I currently have volunteered at a care home for about 6 months 3 hours a week and have had a day's work experience at the a university medical sciences research department which was incredibly inspiring.
I was wondering if anyone thought this was enough so far - when I turn 18 in 3 months I am possibly able to get work experience at a GP practise but this would be after an application is submitted and possibly after interviews anyway...
I want to apply to Oxford, Imperial College London, Exeter and Birmingham.
I do quite a lot of extra curricular things like rowing training about 5 times a week and am the editor of the school journalism team so wondering if I can carry on 4 subjects? Probably will drop physics as it is my least favourite of the 4 and pick up an EPQ.
Any advice RE work experience and subjects would be appreciated :smile:
Original post by RowerEls
I achieved 12 A* at GCSE and 4 A at AS in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and English Language. My current work experience comprises mainly of volunteering because where I live it is very difficult to find clinical work experience as everyone knows each other so patient confidentiality laws mean it usually isn't possible. Also, the closest larger hospital is about 50 minutes away so I can't get there very easily and I don't have any medic relatives. I currently have volunteered at a care home for about 6 months 3 hours a week and have had a day's work experience at the a university medical sciences research department which was incredibly inspiring.
I was wondering if anyone thought this was enough so far - when I turn 18 in 3 months I am possibly able to get work experience at a GP practise but this would be after an application is submitted and possibly after interviews anyway...
I want to apply to Oxford, Imperial College London, Exeter and Birmingham.
I do quite a lot of extra curricular things like rowing training about 5 times a week and am the editor of the school journalism team so wondering if I can carry on 4 subjects? Probably will drop physics as it is my least favourite of the 4 and pick up an EPQ.
Any advice RE work experience and subjects would be appreciated :smile:

Your profile is amazing!
That said, I think that ICL want 2 weeks of clinical experience, so it may be risky to apply there, but I'm not completely certain...
Your other choices sound very good, though, although you'll want a good UKCAT for Exeter :h:

If i were you I'd drop a subject. There's no point carrying on all four, and if you have a topic you'd genuinely like to research in some depth, an EPQ would be a good idea :u:

Original post by Pra99
Bump

Probably.
I'm reapplying as a graduate (MEng in Biomedical Engineering), I've noticed some places allow you to send extra information like extra references to the admissions panel if they're received by the deadline, does anyone know any more about this? And should my primary reference (the one submitted on UCAS) absolutely be done by my course advisor? She doesn't know me very well personally and a lot of my grades throughout my course aren't exactly demonstrative of my ability to excel in medicine, however there was a supervisor I worked with during a summer project who I feel knows me better personally and would be able to write a more effective reference for me.
I don't know if someone has already asked this but will they be using AS grades as part of our application because a lot of schools didn't do them(apart from for subjects like maths etc which haven't changed). I'm asking because I got a B in my chemistry AS(A in the rest) and I am worried this will put me at a disadvantage. So would that B matter much if I still get predicted an A in chemistry?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending