The Student Room Group

Survey: Germans want a burqa ban

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
http://www.singleparents.org.uk/information/legal/top-5-causes-of-divorce-and-separation-in-the-uk

^^That link is 5 main reasons as to why people divorce in the UK. Not "obeying" your husband doesn't come up on there sadly enough. Note how one of the reasons is "lack of equality" as well.

So stop complaining about how bad it is here. If you want to be a submissive housewife, then run off to a Muslim country.

It's just pitiful you'd choose to blindly follow a man and view women as something like dogs who have to obey their masters.

I like the fact that regressives on here love to tell you how "moderate", peace-loving and tolerant Muslims are, in the very same threads where actual Muslim users post shockingly misogynist or homophobic prattle as though it's completely normal.
Reply 121
Original post by KingBradly
I like the fact that regressives on here love to tell you how "moderate", peace-loving and tolerant Muslims are, in the very same threads where actual Muslim users post shockingly misogynist or homophobic prattle as though it's completely normal.

Tolerance only applies to them.

"Tolerate me and my intolerant beliefs."
Original post by Josb
Tolerance only applies to them.

"Tolerate me and my intolerant beliefs."

It's funny how they're ok with being tolerant of Islamic intolerance, but not intolerance of Islamic intolerance...
Original post by h333
PRSOM tbh I did not get any notifications :lol: something is wrong with them.
They are just angry/annoyed that the women are/want to be modest. They can pretty much say what they want but it can't change the fact that the women are happy wearing it if they have chosen to follow this way of life.

Nice bit of implicit slut-shaming.

Wow Muslims are so liberal /s
I absolutely support this. It would help out weed those who believe and follow extremist beliefs

Original post by HAnwar
LOL may Allah guide you you poor lost soul x

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess it really is hard to address a point when you have nothing to fight it with, huh? :wink:
Reply 125
Nice bit of implicit slut-shaming.

Wow Muslims are so liberal /s

No idea what you are talking about, burqa is a way of showing modesty from women in Islam to the highest level but it is optional.

Ok thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by h333
No idea what you are talking about, burqa is a way of showing modesty from women in Islam to the highest level but it is optional.

Ok thanks.

That's not quite what you said. You implied anyone who doesn't cover up is not modest.
Original post by inhuman
But what does it (i.e. the soft racism of low expectations) have to do with racism? That just sounds to me it's being used like Islamophobia - not accurate but has an effect.
well, it is a form of racism, if you think that Africans, or Arabs, Chinese, etc are inherently incapable of building workable democracies and respecting human rights, because of their racial characteristics. it may be some sort of "soft racism" when joined with with an apparently tolerant attitude such as "they have their own traditions, they are used to this, they have been stoning people for centuries, who are we to impose our values etc etc"

Original post by inhuman
I see the point, but can't you interpret it differently? By saying I don't expect much, you are implying already that you are judging them on the same standard - you are not necessarily giving more lenience, you are just saying you expected them to be worse, because you know they don't measure up to our standards.
well, I guess the defining criterion is if you believe that people act in a certain way because of their racial characteristics, or because of other factors

if you think e.g. that black Africans are racially incapable of building workable democracies, this is undoubtedly a form of racism

if you think that cultural, historical, economic etc factors are decisive, then this is not racism

as i said, an interesting concept

best
Original post by h333

Ok thanks.
don't you think that reasoning on the base of "the more you cover up, the more "modest" you are ? why should men be then allowed to be much less "modest" than women ?

don't you think also that modesty and morals cannot be measured in square inches of cloth ?

best
Original post by mariachi
well, it is a form of racism, if you think that Africans, or Arabs, Chinese, etc are inherently incapable of building workable democracies and respecting human rights, because of their racial characteristics. it may be some sort of "soft racism" when joined with with an apparently tolerant attitude such as "they have their own traditions, they are used to this, they have been stoning people for centuries, who are we to impose our values etc etc"

well, I guess the defining criterion is if you believe that people act in a certain way because of their racial characteristics, or because of other factors

if you think e.g. that black Africans are racially incapable of building workable democracies, this is undoubtedly a form of racism

if you think that cultural, historical, economic etc factors are decisive, then this is not racism

as i said, an interesting concept

best

I thought racism implies the idea "I am better than you because of my race" (whatever race is, that is technically hard enough to define). I think it is a bit of a strong assumption to say "well anyone who thinks group X are incapable of a functioning democracy, must do so because of race". Personally I don't think it has anything to do with race. Look at Russia, they are white, well slavic I guess, and I wouldn't call them democratic at all.
Original post by h333

Ok thanks.

Implying that anyone who doesn't wear some kind of Islamic veil is being immodest.
Original post by mariachi
don't you think that reasoning on the base of "the more you cover up, the more "modest" you are ? why should men be then allowed to be much less "modest" than women ?

don't you think also that modesty and morals cannot be measured in square inches of cloth ?

best

IMO, the burqa is very immodest, as I explain here:

Modesty - The quality or state of being unassuming in the estimation of one's abilities.
A rich man driving a Ferrari is considered less modest than a rich man driving a Ford Fiesta. A rich man driving a Ford Fiesta may be considered an act of modesty. Modesty is to intentionally not flaunt something which you have which one believes is desirable. This may already seem paradoxical, but with a Ferrari (or any other thing which evidently is highly desirable) there is no paradox to this. Ferraris are clearly highly desirable, or they would not have such high prices. The owner is not being very immodest by treating his car as something desirable and trying to be modest by not flaunting it, because its price is firm evidence that it is very desirable. He is therefore not making any kind of vain assumtions about himself or (in this case) his property.To hide your body in-order to be modest is to believe that your body is highly desired. Without your body having a price, and without a large amount of people to see it and judge, this belief is left entirely to the woman who chooses to veil herself. Therefore, we have a paradox: in her attempt to be modest, she is self-evidently being immodest by judging that she would be being immodest to show her body, as the only way she could think that she was being immodest by doing so would be if she considered her body to be highly desirable.

"Women must obey their husbands" If that's not misogynistic I don't know what is.

Original post by TheBBQ
I absolutely support this. It would help out weed those who believe and follow extremist beliefs

I guess it really is hard to address a point when you have nothing to fight it with, huh? :wink:

It's ok I'm going to pray for the imaginary man in the sky to guide me to be a woman who plans to rely on a man for life :wink:
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
"Women must obey their husbands" If that's not misogynistic I don't know what is.

I like the way he said it in such a matter-of-fact way, as if it's completely normal to think that
Original post by inhuman
I thought racism implies the idea "I am better than you because of my race" (whatever race is, that is technically hard enough to define). I think it is a bit of a strong assumption to say "well anyone who thinks group X are incapable of a functioning democracy, must do so because of race". Personally I don't think it has anything to do with race. Look at Russia, they are white, well slavic I guess, and I wouldn't call them democratic at all.
"the soft racism of low expectations" is hardly ever spelt out in clear , explicit terms

quite often, it takes the form of progressive-sounding, tolerant statements

so, soft racists will never say "well, what else could you expect from a bunch of primitive negroes"

they will say, rather "we should respect local traditions and structures. Democracy is ill adapted to tribal societies, and our human rights cannot apply where conditions are different, due to different developments since millennia and bla bla bla, so we should not judge xyz by our standards"

best
I like the way he said it in such a matter-of-fact way, as if it's completely normal to think that

Yup with the lol at the start.
Screen Shot 2016-08-28 at 13.44.26.png
Original post by Josb
So a woman that doesn't wear a burqa is immodest?

Well,if they come from a particularly strict Muslim background they would likely be shunned from their families and communities. Serves them right, the harlots.........

Original post by Josb
What the hell do you mean?

He's doing that stupid thing that some people do: trying to compare the treatment of Muslims in Europe today with that of Jews in Nazi Germany. Not only moronic, but insulting to the Jews of the time who - unlike Muslims today - faced actual persecution.

Original post by h333

Ok thanks.

He's obviously talking about your implication that women who do not wear burqas are immodest. But you knew that and now you're playing dumb
Original post by HAnwar

Lol so obeying your husband is seen as a bad thing? Oh dear, no wonder this country has so many failed marriages.

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by h333

Ok thanks.

There is nothing modest about wearing a burqa in the West. You are deliberately wearing an item of clothing that is jarring and unsettling to the majority of people, and is tied to a wider ideology that a great many consider antithetical to our own culture and values.

That is NOT being modest.
Reply 139
My notifs for quotes are not working but I was quoted by many here lol.

Let me put it out there in ISLAM women are supposed to wear the hijab and burqa is an option. I follow this way of life so I also willingly agree to wear a hijab for many reasons you may already know. If a woman chooses to follow the way of Islam then so be it, you can't tell her she is being oppressed if she chooses to cover up because of it.

Ok fine by what I am reading, I am apparently or the women that choose to cover up this way are oppressing themselves without them actually knowing they are oppressing themselves..or something like that... :K: I did not know oppression would mean I am happy.

I am expecting a lot of hate/diasagreement or whatever but guess what I will still follow Islam and am proud and wear a hijab so no problem :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending