The Student Room Group

It's bloody marvelous to be BRITISH- The Thread of Britishness.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cookie123456789
Britain rules!!!!!! It's better than Europe

Posted from TSR Mobile

We're in Europe. We'll always be in Europe...............
Original post by Rakas21
Not really sure this is true.

We certainly value liberty more than most but liberalism in the modern vernacular is far more prominent in Europe.

Britain has both right wing and left wing 'liberals' and the struggles between them are not so different here to those elsewhere, but the delusion that only the Right properly understands what liberalism is - well, that's just a delusion.
Original post by difeo
America has better music and sitcoms

We are the best country in general though

No way! I disagree with that! We have much better sitcoms and music! Led Zeppelin, Radiohead, The Beatles, Queen, The Cure etc! They revolutionised music!!!!

And the sitcoms are so much better- monty Python, Allo Allo, Fawlty towers, IT crowd, the inbetweeners, black adder etc!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rakas21
Not really sure this is true.

We certainly value liberty more than most but liberalism in the modern vernacular is far more prominent in Europe.

But for what Liberalism is We are surely more free and equal than many countries
Don't be as sickeningly patriotic as the Americans. I hate blind patriotism.

Original post by AperfectBalance
-The Empire
- Superior humor
- Ability to take a joke.
- Our resilience as a country
- Tea being just the way it should, No stupid American tea.
- Our Rich history.
- Our people (Most of them)
- Our Scientific contribution to the world.
- helping found and Create great countries.
- Having one of the most Liberal societies.

You can omit a few of those now, post-Brexit Britain is rather different :biggrin:
Original post by AperfectBalance
But for what Liberalism is We are surely more free and equal than many countries

Liberty and liberalism are two very different things.

The US after its foundations was built on liberty.. and yet practised slavery.

In that same vein the UK values liberty and compared to the globe as a whole is fairly liberal, but is not what i'd consider a country which values liberalism above all else.
Original post by iEthan
We're in Europe. We'll always be in Europe...............

:rofl:

How can a country be better than the continent it's a part of :rofl:

How embarrassing.
Canada!!!!!!!!!!
Flag_of_Canada.svg.png
Original post by Twinpeaks
:rofl:

How can a country be better than the continent it's a part of :rofl:

How embarrassing.

:teehee: I'll have a chat with the tectonic plates and see if they can arrange our immediate exit. :lol:
No way! I disagree with that! We have much better sitcoms and music! Led Zeppelin, Radiohead, The Beatles, Queen, The Cure etc! They revolutionised music!!!!

+ Battle rapping has Scottish origins.

And the sitcoms are so much better- monty Python, Allo Allo, Fawlty towers, IT crowd, the inbetweeners, black adder etc!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Note the common thread here - they are all old, apart from Inbetweeners.

Most quality media now comes from the US. We still have a music industry but it's in decline.
Original post by iEthan
:teehee: I'll have a chat with the tectonic plates and see if they can arrange our immediate exit. :lol:

Take that Vesuvius. Go away Plains of Northern Germany and France. See yourself to the door, dreary Alpine ranges. Our little hillocks have charm.
Original post by difeo
America has better music

I think Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and Black Sabbath would all disagree with you on that point.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Note the common thread here - they are all old, apart from Inbetweeners.

Most quality media now comes from the US. We still have a music industry but it's in decline.

Yes but the American sitcoms which are on display now will never be as good as the classic British sitcoms.

Britain is the master of comedy.

American humour is too staged and cheesy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Drunk Punx
I think Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and Black Sabbath would all disagree with you on that point.

Don't forget Radiohead and The Beatles

And the Cure

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Take that Vesuvius. Go away Plains of Northern Germany and France. See yourself to the door, dreary Alpine ranges. Our little hillocks have charm.

You're my favourite today :rofl:
Reply 56
- Great business culture.
- Fabulous universities.
- Original flag.
- Great music.
Reply 57
There is nothing to be proud off having visited other countries this country isn't that special anymore.
My reasons

Bad public transport
Reserved people
Bad healthcare yes the NHS isn't all that when compared to the quality of healthcare at other countries
Bad food
Class system no other country has a class system
Royal family hello it's 2016 not the 15th century

Sorry Brits but you aint that special anymore

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by Rakas21
Though they may deny it, Ireland will always be part of us. They are our brethren.

Tell that to the pIRA.
Reply 59
yes m8 who's ready for this tonight??

Quick Reply

Latest