The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

For the first time since SAF's retirement in 2013, I think I saw a Manchester United not too dissimiliar from the attacking vigour that Ferguson's teams did in their pomp in terms of showing urgency and a desire to win the game until the last moment. Under van Gaal, it'd have been slow and ponderous and possibly a 0-0.

Rashford/Mkhitaryan helped our play massively and former was just sublime with his touches of the ball, never mind his chances on goal. Big Sam's decision not to include him in the senior squad looks kinda foolish but who cares. Valencia/Shaw again continue their form. Mata/Martial are a concern but imagine the former will eventually be phased out to become part of the squad rotation whilst latter could do with a time out of the team, maybe to re-focus. 3 wins out of 3 - now the derby on 10th September!
Reply 2641
Original post by difeo
Rashford isn't part of Mourinho's plans though rite @bammy jastard 27

Sub appearance to do something and putting on a player when you're chasing a game.

He also did the same with Kenedy and Loftus Cheek a few times. If you're chasing a game or trying to score you put on forwards, if you're shutting a game you put on defensive subs. The attacking options after Mkhitaryan(who came on first) was Rashford or Young, ones basically a defender for the other team. Does it mean he's getting starts, na. De Bruyne also came on a few times and so did Juan Mata at Chelsea and he got shipped off 3 months later.

I want you lot to beat City personally, fear that they have a few gears to step up and if they're getting results now it's going to be a struggle catching them when they do hit serious form.
(edited 7 years ago)
martial needs time out the side b**** is messing up his life
Original post by bigmansouf
martial needs time out the side b**** is messing up his life

Martial needs Van Gaal.
Blind for £14mill...
Original post by Rk2k14
Blind for £14mill...

Love him
Impossible to call the City XI.

Fellaini is injured so who will come in? Will he go 433 to combat City flooding the midfield? Could be any of Herrera, Schneiderlin, Carrick. Actually think Herrera might get the nod.

Rashford and Mkhi deserve to start tbh, changed the game last night but I'm not sure if they will. Rooney will still continue (for now), could be Mata and Martial out. Mata has been good so far and more deserving of a place than Rooney but you know who's getting dropped it its one or the other. Martial needs a game out to get his confidence back. Whatever happened in the summer is having an effect on his whole play.

Hate International breaks. We always get injuries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2647
Reckon Rashford deserves a start but he won't. Can see Mkhitaryan starting over Mata/Martial though. Mata's important for freeing up Valencia which is clearly a feature of your play this season with the aerial threat you now possess but doesn't have pace to hurt City on counters. Fellaini is probably going to start unless unfit, Schneiderlin hasn't featured this season in the league, I reckon United's gameplan vs City would be to kick the **** out of the team anyway so no Carrick either. Herrera probably. Fellaini if fit.

I think same team with Mkhitaryan over Mata. Martial probably deserves to be dropped for Rashford but Mourinho isn't a fan of making too many changes before a big game. He usually has one change in the midfield which usually is along the basis of 'strength/size/stamina' physical traits essentially and Mourinho almost never changes a working defence. Zouma came in during 14/15 season on the basis that Cahill was atrocious and we had just conceded 5 goals to Spurs so forget about Smalling.

Your team will be
DDG
Valencia, Bailly, Blind, Shaw
Herrera/Fellaini, Pogba
Mkhitaryan, Rooney, Martial
Ibrahimovic
Obviously subject to Fellaini's fitness. Mkhitaryan has featured in all the games so far for a reason and playing Mata against weaker opposition was what Mourinho did at Chelsea. Mkhitaryan will probably start, show a good account of himself in the process and Mata will be left on the bench as a sub. I reckon Fellaini may be back in time anyway.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rk2k14
Blind for £14mill...

As he walks through the valleys of the shadows of death he shall fear no evil for Bailly is with him.
Reply 2649
Original post by hayles101
Impossible to call the City XI.

Fellaini is injured so who will come in? Will he go 433 to combat City flooding the midfield? Could be any of Herrera, Schneiderlin, Carrick. Actually think Herrera might get the nod.

Rashford and Mkhi deserve to start tbh, changed the game last night but I'm not sure if they will. Rooney will still continue (for now), could be Mata and Martial out. Mata has been good so far and more deserving of a place than Rooney but you know who's getting dropped it its one or the other. Martial needs a game out to get his confidence back. Whatever happened in the summer is having an effect on his whole play.

Hate International breaks. We always get injuries.

Posted from TSR Mobile

4-3-3 ain't going to be played despite it being a pretty viable option because of guess who. Schneiderlin/Fellaini, Pogba and Herrera would be a pretty good midfield 3 vs City's as well. I hate how biased Scholes and Ferdinand are as well with Rooney.
10th of september is going to be bloody insane (sports-wise). The derby, the old firm, brook vs GGG.

In terms of the line up against city for the derby, I think we need to be sensible in terms of our midfield. Probably:

DDG
Valencia, Bailly, Smalling, Shaw
Fellaini Pogba
Mata Mikhi Rashford
Ibra
Original post by bammy jastard 27
4-3-3 ain't going to be played despite it being a pretty viable option because of guess who. Schneiderlin/Fellaini, Pogba and Herrera would be a pretty good midfield 3 vs City's as well. I hate how biased Scholes and Ferdinand are as well with Rooney.

I mentioned it because I think it would be a good way to go but yeah you've basically said it. It'll put Rooney out so it'll not happen right now.

Not sure how we'll combat Pep having the fullbacks flooding the midfield. Don't want to get overrun. Fellaini will definitely start if fit but they're saying he's out for a month. Shame.

Mkhi for Mata seems the most likely attacking change agreed. As much as Rashford deserves to start having someone with that pace come off the bench can be devastating.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can definitely get at City's defence, but Aguero and Sterling look irresistible at the moment.

Such an important game already because you, City and Chelsea are gonna be the contenders for the league this season. If I had to call it, I'd regrettably back you to win the league.
People are getting ahead of themselves as Chelsea and United have had a pretty routine start to the season. I expect United and Chelsea to be up there but it's not the formality like people are saying atm. Arsenal being underestimated too due to a difficult start.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gob Bluth
People are getting ahead of themselves as Chelsea and United have had a pretty routine start to the season. I expect United and Chelsea to be up there but it's not the formality like people are saying atm. Arsenal being underestimated too due to a difficult start.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've seen all of United's games and they have 9 points without even having a particularly good game. Under LVG you can guarantee they would have 3/4.

As the cliche goals, a sign of champions is winning when you don't play well, and United have been excellent at that so far.

Nah Arsenal are poor, very poor. Watford were tearing them apart in the 2nd half, and we absolutely destroyed them in 20 minutes.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2655
Lets bare in mind that Arsenal came 2nd last season and thus require the least room for improvement personnel wise.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Lets bare in mind that Arsenal came 2nd last season and thus require the least room for improvement personnel wise.

It was a hollow 2nd in all honesty since Spurs had already given up, and lets not forget that United, City and Chelsea all had below average season performances. The latter trio are significantly better than Arsenal, and although they have good players, you would argue that Spurs and Liverpool aren't far behind them due to their chemistry and managerial quality.
Original post by Lúcio
I've seen all of United's games and they have 9 points without even having a particularly good game. Under LVG you can guarantee they would have 3/4.

As the cliche goals, a sign of champions is winning when you don't play well, and United have been excellent at that so far.

Nah Arsenal are poor, very poor. Watford were tearing them apart in the 2nd half, and we absolutely destroyed them in 20 minutes.

Van Gaal did this too though, earlier on more so. He got 75 points on his first season which is a good points tally. Mourinho won't get much different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Schneiderlin next to Pogba would be the best bet. Need someone who's defensively capable and Herrera can't do that job.
Bailly fast becoming one of my favourite players.:biggrin:
https://twitter.com/samuelluckhurst/status/769867863117168641

Latest