The Student Room Group

Maintaining success

Hi there,
I've just finished year 10 so I'm about to dive into the deep end of my GCSE exams. My school entered me in to the maths and English language GCSE's this summer term, a year early, and I found out on results day I had achieved an A* in both!
I'm so overwhelmed with these grades but I don't know how to maintain them next year. I feel like I am under so much pressure this year as only 3 out of 200 students in my year who took the same exams got 2 A*s.
I want to go to Cambridge university to study law so this is a great start for me, yet I know next year will be so intense and so stressful.
Does anyone have any tips on how to cope? And any revision techniques? Or anything else I can be doing aside from school work?
My parents are so supportive of my school work as they know how much pressure I put myself under and my mum is paying for a tutor for me this year for science as it is my weakest subject but I feel like that's adding more pressure because my mum is investing money on my education.
I'm worried that my good grades this year will make me idle for next year and I'll forget how hard I had to work for those 2 exams alone, never mind the 11 or so subjects I have next year!
I'm looking to speak to someone who has felt the same anxiety I am feeling now who can give me some advice so if anyone has any helpful comments, please leave a comment
Original post by mhopkins
Hi there,
I've just finished year 10 so I'm about to dive into the deep end of my GCSE exams. My school entered me in to the maths and English language GCSE's this summer term, a year early, and I found out on results day I had achieved an A* in both!
I'm so overwhelmed with these grades but I don't know how to maintain them next year. I feel like I am under so much pressure this year as only 3 out of 200 students in my year who took the same exams got 2 A*s.
I want to go to Cambridge university to study law so this is a great start for me, yet I know next year will be so intense and so stressful.
Does anyone have any tips on how to cope? And any revision techniques? Or anything else I can be doing aside from school work?
My parents are so supportive of my school work as they know how much pressure I put myself under and my mum is paying for a tutor for me this year for science as it is my weakest subject but I feel like that's adding more pressure because my mum is investing money on my education.
I'm worried that my good grades this year will make me idle for next year and I'll forget how hard I had to work for those 2 exams alone, never mind the 11 or so subjects I have next year!
I'm looking to speak to someone who has felt the same anxiety I am feeling now who can give me some advice so if anyone has any helpful comments, please leave a comment

Firstly, well done :tongue: it must feel to have a top grade in two subjects already and have them out of the way, although I appreciate that you'll may feel complacent (or idle) and let it slip away after a great start that anyone would envy.

The way to make anything feel less intense is to break it down into parts and do smaller parts over time, so that when it comes to revision/past papers you are just recalling information rather than learning it. For the sciences, practicing questions is pretty important (GCSE bitesize may be worth looking at, as well as other sources, if you need extra practice or to go over soething) as well as some areas where you need to make notes. Whereas with other subjects it's more about making notes and memorising things. What I find helps with this is not when you just read one sentence at a time and write it down, but when you read a whole paragraph, think about it, hide the paragraph, write down the key points down and then look to see if you've missed anything.

And if you ever have coursework, check the spec or ask your teacher and find out what makes a good A-A* essay and keep that in mind as you work

Fair enough, your mum is putting some slight pressure on you by investing like that, but if you think less about it and just go with it it may feel better.

Good luck! :h:
wow well done!! Already got two GCSEs out of the way. I think that now you'd be starting a levels in them so just keep working hard!!
I never knew you could take English early as they don't do that in our school but those who took maths early just carried on with further maths a level stuff
Start revising all the stuff you've learnt in year 10 for the remaining 11 subjects from September because that way you'd be able to cover everything in good timing do will feel less pressure and be able to complete lots of past papers which is essential.
Trust me it is worth it- I kind of regret not completing any past papers for bio at home (i would leave them half done as I lacked motivation in that subject- there was too much info to be learnt and I struggled to even look at the the 4-5 bio books I was forced to fill to the last line in lessons- we were fed way too many words!) and now have to face the fact that though I can definitely do it at a level as C is the minimum requirement, I'll be told to consider not taking it and would personally feel hesitant to do so any way with a C even though I have always wanted to do it at a level. So just start now in fact- you seem really clever so your bound to do extremely well in all 11 subjects if you put your heart in to it!!!
Reply 3
Original post by SeanFM
Firstly, well done :tongue: it must feel to have a top grade in two subjects already and have them out of the way, although I appreciate that you'll may feel complacent (or idle) and let it slip away after a great start that anyone would envy.

The way to make anything feel less intense is to break it down into parts and do smaller parts over time, so that when it comes to revision/past papers you are just recalling information rather than learning it. For the sciences, practicing questions is pretty important (GCSE bitesize may be worth looking at, as well as other sources, if you need extra practice or to go over soething) as well as some areas where you need to make notes. Whereas with other subjects it's more about making notes and memorising things. What I find helps with this is not when you just read one sentence at a time and write it down, but when you read a whole paragraph, think about it, hide the paragraph, write down the key points down and then look to see if you've missed anything.

And if you ever have coursework, check the spec or ask your teacher and find out what makes a good A-A* essay and keep that in mind as you work

Fair enough, your mum is putting some slight pressure on you by investing like that, but if you think less about it and just go with it it may feel better.

Good luck! :h:

Thank you! I was so pleased, I think only 3 people got more than one A* in my year so the school will expecting me to do well next year, which doesn't help!
Your revision advice makes completely sense, it will reduce the volume of revision I have to do drawing close to the exams if I review what I've learnt frequently. Pyschology proves that we can remember everything that we've ever learnt, it's just recalling it at the right time can be an issue, and by revising and repeating things, it strengthens the neurones! So great advice, I hadn't really thought to put two and two together.
Do you have any other revision techniques/ what worked/works for you?
Thanks again!
Reply 4
Original post by Starlight2000
wow well done!! Already got two GCSEs out of the way. I think that now you'd be starting a levels in them so just keep working hard!!
I never knew you could take English early as they don't do that in our school but those who took maths early just carried on with further maths a level stuff
Start revising all the stuff you've learnt in year 10 for the remaining 11 subjects from September because that way you'd be able to cover everything in good timing do will feel less pressure and be able to complete lots of past papers which is essential.
Trust me it is worth it- I kind of regret not completing any past papers for bio at home (i would leave them half done as I lacked motivation in that subject- there was too much info to be learnt and I struggled to even look at the the 4-5 bio books I was forced to fill to the last line in lessons- we were fed way too many words!) and now have to face the fact that though I can definitely do it at a level as C is the minimum requirement, I'll be told to consider not taking it and would personally feel hesitant to do so any way with a C even though I have always wanted to do it at a level. So just start now in fact- you seem really clever so your bound to do extremely well in all 11 subjects if you put your heart in to it!!!

Firstly I'd like to thank you! I was so pleased on results day! As cocky as it sounds, I feel like my ego and confidence since results day is obscuring the recollection of how hard I actually had to work, but as soon as I return to school hopefully reality will kick in again!
I remember I felt like this just after my mock exams, but I told me mum "I want to feel as good as this on results day" and that's what motivated me to persist and work harder than I was.
i think my school has always entered year 10 for the English language exam, it makes it easier as we have year 11 to focus on our english literature.
Breaking down the syllabus next year will make it much more manageable when it comes to revising at the exams,
Thank you so much for the advice!

Quick Reply

Latest