The Student Room Group

Wondering if vet med is for me...

I have thought I wanted to be a vet since I was around 5, like many potential vets, but over the past few years I have begun to wonder if it's right. One of the reasons is that I don't know how interested I am in science because I have only ever had poor teachers, leading to me having to teach myself out of a textbook. My natural talent lies with humanities as far as I can tell, but I think I would be capable at science too. Also, I have felt generally down for this time as well, which has meant that I have lost part of the huge interest and passion I have had for animals my whole life - although I really hope this will return. However, there are some aspects which make me think I should still go for it. I have just done my GCSEs, which have told me there should be no problems with grades. I really need to make my decision soon so I have a goal in mind when doing my A Levels, so have some questions I would be very grateful to get some answers to.
Firstly, to any vets or vet students: what made you decide to become a vet? Do you regret your decision? Do you feel that you spend much of your time away from animals? Has it made you less sensitive/lose any of your passion?

Also, to anyone who plans to go to vet school: why do you want to be a vet?

If anyone has any other advice or career options that you think might be worth considering, I would hugely appreciate it.

Whatever career I choose, I am not doing it solely to pay the bills. I have a genuine desire to help in the world and hope that my career will be satisfying and rewarding and I am prepared to put all my efforts into achieving whatever it takes to get there.
Thank you in advance for anything you can offer - even if it's just in answer to one of my questions, or even just sharing your own experience.
Really, the most important thing to discover if you really want to become a vet is to gain work experience in veterinary clinic. In that way, you can observe their lifestyle and decide if it is the right one for you. If it is okay, politely ask the vets questions of how they find their job etc.

I have a plan to study Bioveterinary Science and possibly advanced into the veterinary medicine, if I haven't found my potentially career plan during the time of study.
I had wanted to become a vet because I wanted to give the animal a good quality of life, and to use my problem solving methods to solve the issues and illnesses that the animal had been diagnosed with.

I think veterinary medicine is such a rewarding experience, but it wouldn't be satisfying to those who don't find a joy in it.

Since you said you are interested in humanistic, have you considered Psychology or become a Counsellor? Since psychology is related to science but also to humans (and little to animals due to research etc).

Hope this helps! :h:
Reply 2
Original post by Beth141299
I have thought I wanted to be a vet since I was around 5, like many potential vets, but over the past few years I have begun to wonder if it's right. One of the reasons is that I don't know how interested I am in science because I have only ever had poor teachers, leading to me having to teach myself out of a textbook. My natural talent lies with humanities as far as I can tell, but I think I would be capable at science too. Also, I have felt generally down for this time as well, which has meant that I have lost part of the huge interest and passion I have had for animals my whole life - although I really hope this will return. However, there are some aspects which make me think I should still go for it. I have just done my GCSEs, which have told me there should be no problems with grades. I really need to make my decision soon so I have a goal in mind when doing my A Levels, so have some questions I would be very grateful to get some answers to.
Firstly, to any vets or vet students: what made you decide to become a vet? Do you regret your decision? Do you feel that you spend much of your time away from animals? Has it made you less sensitive/lose any of your passion?

If anyone has any other advice or career options that you think might be worth considering, I would hugely appreciate it.

Whatever career I choose, I am not doing it solely to pay the bills. I have a genuine desire to help in the world and hope that my career will be satisfying and rewarding and I am prepared to put all my efforts into achieving whatever it takes to get there.
Thank you in advance for anything you can offer - even if it's just in answer to one of my questions, or even just sharing your own experience.

Passion for animals doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea to become a vet. But I'm sure you know that. I'm glad you want to do something your passionate about (sorry I'm not terribly much help) good luck with working out what you want to do xx
Reply 3

I don't mean to gloss over the rest of your concerns but you have a year before you apply and the most vital thing to do just now regardless of whether you will apply is to get work experience (as riddledemort has said). You'll never find out if you're suited for the vet environment otherwise, because as a vet student, or when you're applying, or even as a vet, you will get moments of doubt when you wonder if its not for you. I hope you manage to put things into focus, but remember to make the decision for you and not your family or advisor :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Well done on a decent set of GCSE results. If you are choosing A Level subjects of course choose those that will suit your vet school application but also choose subjects you enjoy and want to study; I chose Maths and Physics, hated them and failed, took up Business Studies which I really enjoyed and got an A.

It's a tough question and one many students and vets hate but for me, there's no other job I can see myself doing and enjoying. I love the practical problem solving side of it, the challenge of working up a new case, I'm always amazed at what modern medicine can achieve and I love the flexibility and doors that the degree opens.
There will always be routine work but that's the same in any job. I think you have to be enthusiastic about your work and good at communicating with your team and clients.

I didn't choose the conventional route, I did an Animal Science degree then worked for a year and now study abroad. It's not easy but I wouldn't have it any other way. I think if I wasn't a vet I'd go back to the job I had my gap year which was customer service and escalated complaints for a corporate; completely different world but transferable soft skills and they thought I was pretty good at it.
I think I'd always be jealous and annoy the vets if I was a vet nurse :nooo:

It's important to have other hobbies outside veterinary, be it sports, arts or something else. In my spare time I breed poultry and fly falconry birds but I have other hobbies too.
I wouldn't say I'm less sensitive but I think I definitely have a more pragmatic approach than some.

Basically I always wanted to work with animals and to be a vet. For me it's been a life long passion. I think you need to be pasisonate about it in order to get through the course as it's a lot of hard work! I enjoy working with animals, I'm very hands on, and I wanted to do a job that is varied, alongside my academic abilities.

I am now in my first month of my job. Sometimes I find it really rewarding - when an animal gets better, when you get a quick diagnosis, when you can alleviate suffering, when you get quicker at surgeries. Other times the public sometimes gets me down - I've been accused of profiting from pets suffering (when I really DO care and want to help but my hands are tied in reality), I've been yelled at by clients despite not doing anything wrong, and I've almost broke down when an owner did not want to alleviate their pet's suffering and I had to get the RSCPA involved. I also often don't finish work until 7pm and then don't get home until 7.30pm leaving me without much time for myself by the time I cook dinner! And compared to some I have quite cushy hours (no on call).
(edited 7 years ago)
Beth, you are definitely not alone in considering whether vet medicine in the right choice for you, and I commend you on taking time to consider this in depth, as you clearly are. I think so many feel that because they have 'always wanted to be a vet' they don't actually stop and think about what that might mean now, over the next five years, and even in 20 years, or what the different options are within that career path - and it's really important...

Many vets consider leaving the profession, and many vet students regret taking the course (I'm actually going to start a thread on that now - I've been meaning to for a while as I think it's a really important topic for all of you).

I'd be really interested to see what others have to say on this - there is so much enthusiasm and determination to get into vet school and to succeed - but what are the other options??!

Jill
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by riddledemort
Really, the most important thing to discover if you really want to become a vet is to gain work experience in veterinary clinic. In that way, you can observe their lifestyle and decide if it is the right one for you. If it is okay, politely ask the vets questions of how they find their job etc.

I have a plan to study Bioveterinary Science and possibly advanced into the veterinary medicine, if I haven't found my potentially career plan during the time of study.
I had wanted to become a vet because I wanted to give the animal a good quality of life, and to use my problem solving methods to solve the issues and illnesses that the animal had been diagnosed with.

I think veterinary medicine is such a rewarding experience, but it wouldn't be satisfying to those who don't find a joy in it.

Since you said you are interested in humanistic, have you considered Psychology or become a Counsellor? Since psychology is related to science but also to humans (and little to animals due to research etc).

Hope this helps! :h:

Sorry - I should have mentioned this. I have actually gained some experience, working in two separate vet clinics. It put me off a bit because none of the vets seemed enthusiastic or passionate - it was just something they had to do. I had not considered the route you are taking, so thank you so much! I willl look further into this, definitely. Hm, I have considered it slightly, but not really looked into it much. Perhaps I will look at the different areas of medicine and see what interests me. Thank you so much for your help and for giving me some of your own opinions and reasons - it's been really helpful.

Original post by LiiHyde
Passion for animals doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea to become a vet. But I'm sure you know that. I'm glad you want to do something your passionate about (sorry I'm not terribly much help) good luck with working out what you want to do xx

Thank you for your advice, too. Don't worry about it - anything is helpful as all the opinions and advice is gradually adding up to make a bigger picture in my head. I have certainly come to understand this and this is why I am on a mission to find out what is a good idea :smile:

Original post by Treen98
I don't mean to gloss over the rest of your concerns but you have a year before you apply and the most vital thing to do just now regardless of whether you will apply is to get work experience (as riddledemort has said). You'll never find out if you're suited for the vet environment otherwise, because as a vet student, or when you're applying, or even as a vet, you will get moments of doubt when you wonder if its not for you. I hope you manage to put things into focus, but remember to make the decision for you and not your family or advisor :smile:

Thank you for all your help. I should have said (sorry) that I have two weeks if work experience in vet practices and it kind of confused me. The first was terribly boring as they were really quiet and none of them seemed to have any passion. I went to a larger vets the second time and they seemed to have a slightly bigger desire to actually help, but it was still not what I'd hoped for. I suppose I will just keep going to different ones to see as many situations as possible.

Original post by lwescott
Well done on a decent set of GCSE results. If you are choosing A Level subjects of course choose those that will suit your vet school application but also choose subjects you enjoy and want to study; I chose Maths and Physics, hated them and failed, took up Business Studies which I really enjoyed and got an A.

It's a tough question and one many students and vets hate but for me, there's no other job I can see myself doing and enjoying. I love the practical problem solving side of it, the challenge of working up a new case, I'm always amazed at what modern medicine can achieve and I love the flexibility and doors that the degree opens.
There will always be routine work but that's the same in any job. I think you have to be enthusiastic about your work and good at communicating with your team and clients.

I didn't choose the conventional route, I did an Animal Science degree then worked for a year and now study abroad. It's not easy but I wouldn't have it any other way. I think if I wasn't a vet I'd go back to the job I had my gap year which was customer service and escalated complaints for a corporate; completely different world but transferable soft skills and they thought I was pretty good at it.
I think I'd always be jealous and annoy the vets if I was a vet nurse :nooo:

It's important to have other hobbies outside veterinary, be it sports, arts or something else. In my spare time I breed poultry and fly falconry birds but I have other hobbies too.
I wouldn't say I'm less sensitive but I think I definitely have a more pragmatic approach than some.

Thank you! I have definitely thought about this as I am doing Biology and Chemistry (essentials for any medicine, really) and then History and Sociology to balance it out. Sorry that you had to make that mistake - it must have been really frustrating, but huge congratulations for getting the A! Thank you so much for your help - it has certainly given me a better idea about why I should aim for it, if I do. It has also made me want to consider other options for studying vet med, instead of doing the normal route.
Haha, no, after working in the vet practice, I know I could not be a vet nurse either! I think I would be constantly wishing I could do more than my role allowed me to :biggrin: Thanks again.

Original post by SilverstarDJ
Basically I always wanted to work with animals and to be a vet. For me it's been a life long passion. I think you need to be pasisonate about it in order to get through the course as it's a lot of hard work! I enjoy working with animals, I'm very hands on, and I wanted to do a job that is varied, alongside my academic abilities.

I am now in my first month of my job. Sometimes I find it really rewarding - when an animal gets better, when you get a quick diagnosis, when you can alleviate suffering, when you get quicker at surgeries. Other times the public sometimes gets me down - I've been accused of profiting from pets suffering (when I really DO care and want to help but my hands are tied in reality), I've been yelled at by clients despite not doing anything wrong, and I've almost broke down when an owner did not want to alleviate their pet's suffering and I had to get the RSCPA involved. I also often don't finish work until 7pm and then don't get home until 7.30pm leaving me without much time for myself by the time I cook dinner! And compared to some I have quite cushy hours (no on call).

Thank you for giving me your own personal experience - I am very grateful. I suppose there are ups and downs to all jobs, but it's just whether the negative side is overtaken by the positive. That is really frustrating that clients can be so unfair and it is something that I noticed during work experience. I suppose you can comfort yourself knowing that you are doing the best you can, which is not something that your clients can be 100% sure of. Thank you again.

Original post by Jill Macdonald
Beth, you are definitely not alone in considering whether vet medicine in the right choice for you, and I commend you on taking time to consider this in depth, as you clearly are. I think so many feel that because they have 'always wanted to be a vet' they don't actually stop and think about what that might mean now, over the next five years, and even in 20 years, or what the different options are within that career path - and it's really important...

Many vets consider leaving the profession, and many vet students regret taking the course (I'm actually going to start a thread on that now - I've been meaning to for a while as I think it's a really important topic for all of you).

I run ONCORE and we run a course on looking at options for vet medicine, a dissection of what vet med may mean to you, how to progress with application if you wish to, and more - and we are also offering a free webinar in September which will give you some useful advice and areas to consider, as well as more info on the course. You can sign up here if you would like to:
https://www.cognitoforms.com/ONCOREEPD1/FREEWebinarForPotentialVetStudents

I'd be really interested to see what others have to say on this - there is so much enthusiasm and determination to get into vet school and to succeed - but what are the other options??!

Jill

Thank you so much because I have felt slightly silly for thinking about it so much.I will certainly look at your thread when you create it and I actually can't wait to see it as I am sure it will be great. I will also look at the course. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending