The Student Room Group

Would you date a girl who had tried to kill herself a few months before ?

Scroll to see replies

I don't think this question could be answered with a simple yes or no. We have no idea what put her in that situation in the first place, there could be many factors. A lot of people would say she's not ready to date but that's not something we can decide. Coming from someone with depression who's tried to kill herself I can tell you dating her won't be simple. It will be hard, but if you like her vice versa then it can be done. I would suggest you don't get way to entangled in each other that you don't have separate lives, as things will spiral downwards. Also depression is not like a plague, being around depressed people won't make you unhappy. Depression doesn't = sadness. That's why many depressed people go unnoticed. All in all you cant expect to swoop in and fix her, because it doesn't work that way, that doesn't mean you can't be there as support or a stepping stone to more support. Just think it through, she is a human at the end of the day and we all go through different things. At the end of the day these are just other peoples opinions, not commandments.
Reply 21
Seems like a good amount of males seem to be put off, ..but the reality is if you opened a pof account with a girl and mentioned in her profile that she tried to kill herself a few months before ...she would still be inundated with offers, and tbh she might even get extra offers as guys might see her as a potential easy target to get sexual with due to her mental state.
Reply 22
Because i'm not having any potential future events being on me.
Original post by kriswooh
I don't think this question could be answered with a simple yes or no. We have no idea what put her in that situation in the first place, there could be many factors. A lot of people would say she's not ready to date but that's not something we can decide. Coming from someone with depression who's tried to kill herself I can tell you dating her won't be simple. It will be hard, but if you like her vice versa then it can be done. I would suggest you don't get way to entangled in each other that you don't have separate lives, as things will spiral downwards. Also depression is not like a plague, being around depressed people won't make you unhappy. Depression doesn't = sadness. That's why many depressed people go unnoticed. All in all you cant expect to swoop in and fix her, because it doesn't work that way, that doesn't mean you can't be there as support or a stepping stone to more support. Just think it through, she is a human at the end of the day and we all go through different things. At the end of the day these are just other peoples opinions, not commandments.

Yeah, I ask the question as the girl who tried to kill herself, started dating a guy, he found out a few months down the line that not long before we started seeing each other i'd made a serious suicide attempt and had nearly died, and he dumped me :frown: I just wanted to see if many would have done the same.

When we were together though, I never came across as 'depressed', in fact he used to always say how fun I was to be around. However I was noticeably insecure as well looking back.
No. But not because she tried to kill herself. The personality traits of people with depression or people who try to kill themselves are in my opinion unattractive. They tend to be very negative people who are constantly upset and complaining. I prefer to be around girls who are positive, good sense of humour, ambitious, thick skinned and focused.
Yes. This might be just what she needs, support and companionship.

However, I'd be worried if the relationship ended because if they killed themselves I'd feel to blame
Reply 26
I'm not sure. The problem with starting relationships when one is depressed, I think, is how hard you can crash if they finish.
Original post by lachachacha
If not why not?

I'm a straight girl so I would not date you simply due to your gender. If you were to present me with the same scenario in which a guy had attempted suicide, then it would depend on the circumstances. I have experience myself with mental illness and how unpleasant it is to be discriminated against for being mentally ill. So, I wouldn't want to be guilty of discrimination myself; I know how lonely and awful this can make people feel. However, I would also be concerned that if something were to go wrong in our relationship, it might push my boyfriend into more self destructive feelings. I guess I would have to judge how mentally stable he seemed at the given time.
If I liked her enough, then yes, but date may be a bit too strong. Someone who has carried that out has some issues, so dating would be more friendship and support focused, seeing how they were and whether you could nurse them back to a happier more stable place. I think its a bit deluded to ignore past events , but it isnt insurmountable.
Reply 29
hells yeah! emotionally unstable girls are the best - they give out a LOT of sex!!
its a need to please in order to feel loved and accepted

so if its just sex you want then yes

if you want to ship it then probably no, they'll be needy and clingy and you'll have to face the prospect that she might try and kill herself if you break up with her
Original post by BioStudentx
No. But not because she tried to kill herself. The personality traits of people with depression or people who try to kill themselves are in my opinion unattractive. They tend to be very negative people who are constantly upset and complaining. I prefer to be around girls who are positive, good sense of humour, ambitious, thick skinned and focused.

I'll assume you've not heard of the majority of mental illnesses, in particular, high-functioning depression.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It depends on the situation/circumstances in which the person had tried suicide. Plenty of people who don't have mental illnesses do commit or have attempted suicide, some even do it for the most trivial of reasons which they look back on and think how silly they were. So I wouldn't automatically shun someone without knowing the full story, and even if they were mentally deranged I might (/not) make compromises if I really liked them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending