The Student Room Group

Struggling to write my personal statement :\

I've spent the whole weekend trying to write a first draft of my personal statement and all I've managed to produce is one sentence. The course I want to apply for is psychology and although I find this subject really interesting and would like to pursue it as a career, I am struggling to articulate this in 4000 words.

I have tried to use the personal statement builder on here but my answers for each question are very similar.
For example, "Why do you want to study this subject at university?", "What topics are you particularly interested in?" and "Have you done anything outside of the classroom that has developed your interest in the subject?" all have very similar answers for me.
In addition, I am wary of using cliches which is making it much harder to express my... (can't use the words interest or passion!!) ardour for the subject. Although using words such as ardour makes me seem like I am trying too hard to be clever.

Also, how am I supposed to write about wider reading that I have done? The admission tutors don't want to be lectured on the subject but I'm not sure how to put into words why I find certain topics interesting. I just do. Since a lot of psychological research and theories are controversial, I don't want to force my opinion upon anyone and come across as ignorant. Ugh...

Help pleeeaaasssseeeee :s-smilie:
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm afraid there's no easy way to answer the question - different people will find things interesting for different reasons. It's probably easier to sort it out when you've got something written, even if you think it is crap (most people's first drafts are!)
Get yourself to write sth, no matter how bad you think it is, and start editing it paragraph by paragraph
Original post by jessyjellytot14
I've spent the whole weekend trying to write a first draft of my personal statement and all I've managed to produce is one sentence. The course I want to apply for is psychology and although I find this subject really interesting and would like to pursue it as a career, I am struggling to articulate this in 4000 words.

I have tried to use the personal statement builder on here but my answers for each question are very similar.
For example, "Why do you want to study this subject at university?", "What topics are you particularly interested in?" and "Have you done anything outside of the classroom that has developed your interest in the subject?" all have very similar answers for me.
In addition, I am wary of using cliches which is making it much harder to express my... (can't use the words interest or passion!!) ardour for the subject. Although using words such as ardour makes me seem like I am trying too hard to be clever.

Also, how am I supposed to write about wider reading that I have done? The admission tutors don't want to be lectured on the subject but I'm not sure how to put into words why I find certain topics interesting. I just do. Since a lot of psychological research and theories are controversial, I don't want to force my opinion upon anyone and come across as ignorant. Ugh...

Look up other people's personal statements to see what they wrote, it should give you some ideas. Also I'm sure admissions tutors understand that many psychological theories are controversial.
You can PM me if you want! I go to university next month and my personal statement was for neuroscience, so quite similar to psychology. I also included lots about my wider reading, so can give you help with that :smile:
Trust me I am struggling also... What I have tried doing is just writing what I think would be relevant then going back just editing it or changing it..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jessyjellytot14

Check out my blog on personal statements:
https://thenextchemist.wordpress.com/2016/09/02/what-to-write-in-your-personal-statement/#more-224

And my emails on there so you'll be able to email me a draft of your personal statement :smile:
I'll proof read it and edit minor bits and tell you how to improve on it

Good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
Check out my blog on personal statements:
https://thenextchemist.wordpress.com/2016/09/02/what-to-write-in-your-personal-statement/#more-224

And my emails on there so you'll be able to email me a draft of your personal statement :smile:
I'll proof read it and edit minor bits and tell you how to improve on it

Good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please don't email your PS to anyone you don't know over the internet

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending