The Student Room Group

Not sure what A-levels to take..

I'm taking Chemistry, Physics, and Maths at A-level. However I'm not quite sure about the 4th option. Originally I wanted to do Geography, but now I'm thinking about future career prospects and whether to choose a different subject that will better suit this. I got 4A*s, 4As, and 2Bs in my GCSEs. For the 4th option I'm not too sure whether I want to do Geography, Further Maths, or Economics. I'm a bit worried as to whether Further Maths is going to be too hard though.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Take the subject that you think you will get the highest grade in
Reply 2
Depends what you want to do in the future, if its maths related then do further maths. You're doing 3 of the hardest a levels, so geography would be a good option for the fourth. Its not too difficult and is very very interesting, would definitely recommend it
Reply 3
Original post by SuperHuman98

In my GCSEs I got an A in Maths and an A in Geography (thought I'd get an A* since I was getting straight A*s in all the unit tests, but I got a B in the second exam, an A* in the first, and an A - 3 UMS off an A* in the 3rd exam).
What do you want to do at uni? If you don't know go with the advice above (to do the one you think you'll get the best grade in).
Reply 5
Original post by tr.12
Depends what you want to do in the future, if its maths related then do further maths. You're doing 3 of the hardest a levels, so geography would be a good option for the fourth. Its not too difficult and is very very interesting, would definitely recommend it

I think what I'll be doing at uni is definitely maths-related, however Maths isn't my strongest subject; hence why I'm hesitating to take Further Maths at A-level. I've got 2 days before my enrollment day at college to decide what my A-levels will be.
Reply 6
Original post by dRaGoN2509
I think what I'll be doing at uni is definitely maths-related, however Maths isn't my strongest subject; hence why I'm hesitating to take Further Maths at A-level. I've got 2 days before my enrollment day at college to decide what my A-levels will be.

Check what you need in terms of entry requirements for the degrees youre looking into. They might specify that they need further maths. If not, dont do it because it is ALOT more difficult then normal maths, and theres not point doing it and getting a not so good grade in it. Economics and Geography are also good subjects to do with less difficulty. Geography is a well respected one by russel group unis also. I did a couple weeks of economics and it was quite difficult and had some really boring aspects, then i did geography and loved it. Got an A and it didnt require as much work as my other subjects. Also in the new linear sylabus youll have coursework too which is always helpful
Reply 7
Original post by Duncan2012
What do you want to do at uni? If you don't know go with the advice above (to do the one you think you'll get the best grade in).

I think I'll take Geography and then drop it in the 2nd year and do Physics, Chem, and Maths at A-level.
Reply 8
Original post by tr.12
Check what you need in terms of entry requirements for the degrees youre looking into. They might specify that they need further maths. If not, dont do it because it is ALOT more difficult then normal maths, and theres not point doing it and getting a not so good grade in it. Economics and Geography are also good subjects to do with less difficulty. Geography is a well respected one by russel group unis also. I did a couple weeks of economics and it was quite difficult and had some really boring aspects, then i did geography and loved it. Got an A and it didnt require as much work as my other subjects. Also in the new linear sylabus youll have coursework too which is always helpful

Yeah I think I'll take Geography because I'm good at it and I think I'll do well at AS level.
Look at the university requirements. If you want to something that heavily relies of maths i'd be surprised if they didnt want futher maths. Geography has maths in it too but its quite costly.
Only do geography if you're willing to remember many many case studies.......
I found AS boring, but exam wise it wasn't so bad.... meant to get better at A2
Reply 11
Original post by eukaryotic
Only do geography if you're willing to remember many many case studies.......
I found AS boring, but exam wise it wasn't so bad.... meant to get better at A2

How many case studies are there in AS Geography? I only want to do Geography for 1 year and then drop it in the 2nd year.
I did around 40 / 50, which isn't so bad compared with psychology I guess.
Probably depends on exam board. It shows you can write essays and have an awareness of what's going on in the world so I think it's a good one to have.
How many case studies are there in AS Geography? I only want to do Geography for 1 year and then drop it in the 2nd year.
Reply 13
Original post by eukaryotic
I did around 40 / 50, which isn't so bad compared with psychology I guess.
Probably depends on exam board. It shows you can write essays and have an awareness of what's going on in the world so I think it's a good one to have.

Are there really that many?! I'm doing the Edexcel board btw.
I'm taking Chemistry, Physics, and Maths at A-level. However I'm not quite sure about the 4th option. Originally I wanted to do Geography, but now I'm thinking about future career prospects and whether to choose a different subject that will better suit this. I got 4A*s, 4As, and 2Bs in my GCSEs. For the 4th option I'm not too sure whether I want to do Geography, Further Maths, or Economics. I'm a bit worried as to whether Further Maths is going to be too hard though.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
It depends what these future career prospects are clearly. Further Maths (FP1) will certainly benefit Physics hugely. FM is about equivalent difficulty to A Level Maths - modular system. The units may not fit to your strengths though so check with your school/sixth form/college.
Original post by SuperHuman98

This!
Are there really that many?! I'm doing the Edexcel board btw.

Yeah, but it was probably less workload than the sciences...... Just get them in your head from the start and don't leave it all to the last minute. I did do Edexcel but it's new spec for you guys so I don't know what it will be like. Rumour has it that the new AS course is better than the old one......
(edited 7 years ago)
Psychology is a good option there is some maths in there as well specifically stats

Quick Reply

Latest