The Student Room Group

Are my GCSE's good enough for oxbridge medicine

I have just recieved my GCSE results, I have 10 A*s and 4 As. Is this good enough for oxford and cambridge? If so, which is easier to get into, and how hard is Biology Chemistry and Maths at A level.
Your proportion of A* would put you at a disadvantage at Oxford, but a brilliant BMAT score could potentially compensate. For Cambridge that should be good enough, because they mainly look at UMS averages instead of GCSEs. So if you really want to study at Oxbridge, I'd advise you to work really hard to get a UMS higher than 95%, and then apply to Cambridge. :smile:
Original post by StationToStation
Your proportion of A* would put you at a disadvantage at Oxford, but a brilliant BMAT score could potentially compensate. For Cambridge that should be good enough, because they mainly look at UMS averages instead of GCSEs. So if you really want to study at Oxbridge, I'd advise you to work really hard to get a UMS higher than 95%, and then apply to Cambridge. :smile:

So would I be in a better position with 11A*s and 1 A even though I did fewer GCSEs?
Original post by DavMax15
So would I be in a better position with 11A*s and 1 A even though I did fewer GCSEs?

They use some sort of logarithm based on both the number and the proportion of A* at GCSE for shortlisting people for interview. I don't know what that system is, but based on the graphs you can find on the site linked below, I'd say 11A* A would be better. :dontknow:
https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics
Reply 4

Yes. You would be in a better position with 11 A*s full stop. It's not a perfect system, but it's what they do, so you have to play the game.

Neither is "easy" to get into, nor is any UK medical school really. Your GCSEs are very good and if you perform similarly well at AS and in the UKCAT/BMAT then you're probably in with a shot at many places if you apply sensibly, but there are no guarantees.

Yes. By oxford standards an A is a fail, would be one way of thinking about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending