The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Mate if medicine students were all about money they would have done dentistry lol
Original post by returnmigrant
Medicine.

People tie themselves up in knots stressing about 'getting into Med School' when actually if they applied to Medical Sciences they'd have a far easier time getting a place (no tortuous interview days for a start). AND they'd be contributing to 'saving lives' in a far more profound way than being a doctor because their research into Ebola, Cancer, Zika, antibiotic resistance etc will save thousands of lives not just a few. Its Medical Scientists who win Nobel Prizes, not GPs.

This is such a dumb comparison. Plenty of medically qualified doctors who are/were practicing clinicians have won the Nobel Prize or made breakthroughs in public health which have helped entire populations rather than individuals. But since when was it a contest anyway?

In a similar vein I could tell you not to study biomed since the person spinning down blood tests at your local hospital's lab won't ever win a Nobel Prize.
Original post by Princepieman
Law by far.

You don't even need a law degree to become a lawyer looool

Posted from TSR Mobile

A lot of people do a law degree with the express desire of not becoming a lawyer because it opens so many other doors
Original post by connieiscrazy
A lot of people do a law degree with the express desire of not becoming a lawyer because it opens so many other doors

I'll think you'll find most people do a law degree because they want to be lawyers but find out near the end that not everyone can become a lawyer with just a law degree.

The cliche 'opens so many other doors' is true of 99% of degrees.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lucabrasi98
Chemistry isn't underrated. Even my old chemistry teacher called it an overrated degree. Only 52% get employment 6 months after completing their degree. 32% either have to do further study or take a second degree. That's not as bad as other subjects but it's still awful compared to other courses that have around 80% in employment right away.

And English and Biology aren't overrated. But that's purely because no one cares about them enough to rate them in the first place (aside from people studying them.

Where did you even get these stats from? You do realise its different for each university right?...

It seems like your definition of overrated is the ability to get a job after 6 months... :lol:

Average is more around 40/50% take further study. AKA go on to do further masters/PhD to go into research. I wouldnt call research overrated. The remaining go on into jobs such as industry/finance/law/education all of which i wouldnt call overrated.
Overrated: Any degree you're doing despite not having an interest in it.

Underated: Physics/Eco/Maths/Chem (I know I do it).

Maybe on TSR Phys/Math/Chem aren't so underrated however for the content of work and how difficult these degrees actually are, they are very underrated.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 326
f*****ing business or business & management or this type of subject. I know so many people doing this who have placements or grad jobs set up with huge companies. You'd think that with these types of opportunities employers are recognising the students' intelligence and so on.

But oh my god speaking to some of them - one thought that David Cameron was still prime minister. Another thought Nigel Farage might win the next general election (on behalf of what party?!)
Original post by adesola15
Law and Psychology, everyone who doesn't know what they are doing with their lives does Law or Psychology because offers are so low in some universities.

Lol, those are 2 of the most competitive courses to get onto at any good university anyway
Sociology!
Original post by Hihihi123
Lol, those are 2 of the most competitive courses to get onto at any good university anyway

That's the point of the thread. A colossal amount of people want to take the course for various reasons. The prospects from actually graduating are relatively bad. Especially for psychology. Hence why they're overrated.

In order for it to be overrated, loads of people have to rate it highly in the first place. Which is the exact reason why..

Original post by clucky_chick
Sociology!

isn't overrated at all. The teachers in my old school used to regularly insult it lol
Original post by connieiscrazy

The problem is determining criteria for assessing whether a degree is 'overrated' or 'underrated'. If we're factoring in the idiots, who undoubtedly exist, who think that a law degree will magically make them lawyers, we also have to factor in the idiots who think that an economics degree will magically make them investment bankers, and so forth.

The truth is that hard sciences open the most doors, because they confer and evidence special skills which are needed in scientific careers. The doors that are open to law grads are realistically open to everyone. Whether we really want to get into assessing the worth of a field of study on the basis of the raw number of opportunities it makes available to its graduates (regardless of whether individuals actually want to seize any given opportunity) is another question.

Personally I don't like the general implication ITT that a degree is as valuable as the money-earning opportunities it leads to. This strikes me as less than entirely meaningful, since there are plenty of ways to make large amounts money that are open to all graduates. It also strikes me as a little sad that apparently many members of a student forum place no value on studying something that interests them.

Chemistry isn't underrated. Even my old chemistry teacher called it an overrated degree. Only 52% get employment 6 months after completing their degree. 32% either have to do further study or take a second degree.

So actually perform well on your degree, develop your CV, and be part of the 52%. Unless you actually want to do further study, which a lot of people do.

It's really no argument at all against doing a degree that a lot of people who take it don't go on to achieve great/immediate success. Just don't be one of those people.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Cobalt_
Where did you even get these stats from? You do realise its different for each university right?...

It seems like your definition of overrated is the ability to get a job after 6 months... :lol:

Average is more around 40/50% take further study. AKA go on to do further masters/PhD to go into research. I wouldnt call research overrated. The remaining go on into jobs such as industry/finance/law/education all of which i wouldnt call overrated.

1. https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/chemistry

And so? That applies to every degree statistic. But you guys are the ones that claim university doesn't matter and social skills do. The results shouldn't vary much.

2. It's overrated because it's literally rated higher than it should be. You're a living example of it. And 6 months is just the standard when looking at employment rates. Would you prefer if they looked at employment after 30 years?

3. First off, your 40/50% stat is a blatant lie. Look at the link and scroll down.

Secondly, I doubt people who are passionate enough to write their personal statements, spend 4 years at university getting a masters degree in chemistry, then spend additional years doing a postgrad, do so with the initial intention of going into finance, law or education. Many got non relevant jobs not because they want to, but because they have to. There will be some that genuinely want to switch career paths. But you act as if it's the majority. You're doing chemistry too I'm guessing? Don't you want a job in chemistry?

19% become "technicians and other professions". 18% go into science. I already know through prior knowledge that technicians aren't very well paid. And "science" is very broad so I'm not sure what jobs they were actually talking about.

As for research, unless you're lucky enough to get a grant, you're PAYING to do the research at the uni for your postgrad. After which you're stuck looking for a job again. But now you have the bonus of more debt.

The only thing underrated about chemistry is the difficulty. I don't think many understand how difficult of a subject it is at university. People agree that it's relatively hard at A2 then act like Maths and Physics are the only hard university subjects.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by hopefuldentist10
Mate if medicine students were all about money they would have done dentistry lol

hahah :'D that is too true
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Personally I don't like the general implication ITT that a degree is as valuable as the money-earning opportunities it leads to. This strikes me as less than entirely meaningful, since there are plenty of ways to make large amounts money that are open to all graduates. It also strikes me as a little sad that apparently many members of a student forum place no value on studying something that interests them.

PRSOM, unfortunately.

80% of graduate employers don’t have specific subject requirements for their graduate roles, according to CBI/Pearson Education and Skills Survey 2012. The graduate market is more open to science graduates, having learned skills that are specific to industries that need those skills, and a perception (right or wrong) of the sciences developing skills and models that are objective and therefore better than those developed in the humanities, as well as sciences being reserved for those of high intellect - it can be a great choice. Though, given what is a wide graduate market for those without specific skill sets, one should very much consider both studying something that is invigorating (instead of just "rigorous", which is the way by which Tsr seems most keen to judge a degree's value besides graduate prospects) and promotes a lot of vicarious experience, a mode of learning that probably the majority of this site seems to neglect to think about.

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin. The quote here rings true of what I think university is really about. Finding oneself through a subject and being totally immersed in it's life and the lives of those who have contributed to it, whether through history, theology or english literature.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TimmonaPortella

So actually perform well on your degree, develop your CV, and be part of the 52%. Unless you actually want to do further study, which a lot of people do.

It's really no argument at all against doing a degree that a lot of people who take it don't go on to achieve great/immediate success. Just don't be one of those people.

But it's not meant to be an argument against it. The thread isn't titled "Which degrees are poo and should be avoided". It's a good degree that requires a lot of effort. And success doesn't have to be immediate. I just meant given it's prospects, pay, work load, the course has a higher reputation than it should do.

That's why a lot of people in the thread have said law. Not because it's boring or easy. But because a low proportion of grads actually become lawyers. Yet despite that, if I had applied to law instead of my current course, I bet my parents would've phoned every distant relative they know just to show off its prestige.

It's also why I think saying medicine is stupid. The workload is heavy. But it's the only degree that basically 100% guarantees you a job immediately and above average pay for the rest of your career. You won't find a medical school grad still looking for relevant work after 2 years. Plus your fees are partly covered by the NHS and start getting paid before you've gotten all qualifications. But people are calling it overrated for all kinds of irrelevant reasons lol
(edited 7 years ago)
That's why a lot of people in the thread have said law. Not because it's boring or easy. But because a low proportion of grads actually become lawyers. Yet despite that, if I had applied to law instead of my current course, I bet my parents would've phoned every distant relative in they know just to show off its prestige.

It's also why I think saying medicine is stupid. The workload is heavy. But it's the only degree that basically 100% guarantees you a job immediately and above average pay for the rest of your career. You won't find a medical school grad still looking for relevant work after 2 years. Plus your fees are partly covered by the NHS and start getting paid before you've gotten all qualifications. But people are calling it overrated for all kinds of irrelevant reasons lol

You wrongly seem to see a degree as a means by which to guarantee work and that a degree should only be measured by such metric. I think that is Portella's contention with the thread's attitude.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Athematica
PRSOM, unfortunately.

80% of graduate employers don’t have specific subject requirements for their graduate roles, according to CBI/Pearson Education and Skills Survey 2012. Though the graduate market is 'more' open to science graduates, having learned skills that are specific to industries that need those skills, and a perception (right or wrong) of the sciences developing skills and models that are objective and therefore better than those developed in the humanities, as well as sciences being reserved for those of high intellect, it can be a great choice. Though, given what is a wide graduate market for those without specific skill sets, one should very much consider both studying something that is invigorating (instead of just "rigorous", which is the way by which Tsr seems most keen to judge a degree's value besides graduate prospects) and promotes a lot of vicarious experience, a mode of learning that probably the majority of this site seems to neglect to think about.

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin. The quote here rings true of what I think university is really about. Finding oneself through a subject and being totally immersed in it's life and the lives of those who have contributed to it, whether through history, theology or english literature.

+1 people on this site need a reality check sometimes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
PPE
Medicine
Original post by CJKAllstar
Awkward moment when you want to do PPE/Politics and Econ...

Tbf though it's because I have a serious interest in politics and econ above any other subject, and though I'm not aiming to be an MP, I do want to work in politics.

I'd agree though that people who take these subjects thinking it's a blagger's degree to power are probably overestimating just how useful PPE is or politics for that matter, it's one of the few courses that as the quality and prestige of your uni decreases, it becomes a lot more soft and probably a lot more useless, which is why I sorta have to get into a top uni...

With that in mind I'd still say finance. In my experience, people who do finance or accounting of some sort think it's a one way ticket to become a successful entrepreneur, banker, accountant or whatever. In my school it's the single most popular choice for people without any actual serious interest in a subject who don't really know what they want to do. Realistically maths is a lot more useful for banking and accountancy, and entrepreneurship or management of some sort does not in themselves require a degree. Finance has its uses but from personal experience, it's highly overrated.

The idea that everyone who does PPE is power mad and think they will be an MP by the age of 25 is pretty daft. Most people who take the course end up working in things like banking, finance, the City in various ways, also mainstream business jobs and lots of other things besides.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending