The Student Room Group

What IB Subjects should I take for Medicine

I'm due to start the IB this September but, since I only decided on Medicine this summer, I have to change my options now. Obviously I'll be studying HL Biology and HL Chemistry but my question is what to do for my third HL subject. I've considered HL Philosophy, English and Geography and I was wondering what others think would be best (factoring in difficulty, likelihood of getting a 6 or 7 and helpfulness in applying for Medicine). Feel free to offer other suggestions too.
Thanks.
I'd advice you to choose a subject that you can do well in. Bonus points if you like it as well, but you do learn to love a subject as you study it. Sort of anyway:tongue: and we normally kind of like subjects we do well in already. I think by "pre-requisites", unis look for Biology, Chemistry, and a high overall IB score generally. The subject of the third HL isn't THAT important, but a 7 in it is very beneficial.

A common subject "medicine-route" people used to take in my school was HL Math. Shows critical thinking or whatever, but if you're not strong in Math, God please don't take it. HL Math is on a crazy level.

Can't advice you on which subject to take out of your list (Literature analysis is no effort for some people, for others like me - a 6, at SL). Haven't taken Philosophy, but it sounds awfully like TOK so that's a no go:tongue: (edit: If you like either subject though, go for it!) I took History as my third HL, got my 7, even though I hadn't touched History in two years. I believe that you work hard for the subject, you'll be able to score. Just don't pick a subject you struggle like mad with - like me and math. Find something that you know you can work with, and then work hard on it. I encourage you to reflect on your strengths and trust in yourself. Do consult with your teachers, and even if you decide along the way the subject isn't working out for you, you may be able to change your combination in Year 5, or make a plan to improve

Also, the other part of Medicine application is really your personal statement, reference letter, and interview. Grades are crazy important, and they will take you to the interviews. Everything after that is your personality, your desire to study Medicine, and how you share that with the school you apply to. If you have the time in your holidays, go get some work experience in medical settings. It'll expose you to what medicine is really about, and help you reflect on your decision to study medicine. (Also, good to add in your personal statement & interview).

Don't over-obsess with all the post-IB fluff though, focus on your IB exams first. Just keep an open mind, and reflect on why you want to study Medicine for now.

tldr; IB Points, Biology and Chemistry 7s, Personal Statement, Reference, Interview.

If it helps credibility, I recently received my Medicine offer in Clearing. I took my exams in 2013 though, so I am an old soul. If I'm wrong about anything, I'm open to be corrected.

Best wishes.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks a lot for the advice. :smile:
Original post by Rooster0199
Thanks a lot for the advice. :smile:

Also, do some research on universities you're intending to apply to. Most universities will list their pre-requisites for Medicine on their websites or prospectus so you'll know what they are looking for, and what to take.
Reply 4
Psychology is a good shout. It's a cross between a science and a humanity but it encourages you to think scientifically. You deal with theories, studies, experiments stuff useful for uni plus you also study the brain which will be useful for medicine. Lots of medicine students in my school do psychology. If not do a language. It'll just make you stand out from the rest. You might as well do a subject that'll make you more appealing to uni's.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending