The Student Room Group

Teaching or nursing - help!

Hi,
I'm having a bit of a nightmare deciding what to do after I graduate. I'm unsure whether to do teaching or nursing after I graduate from my degree in foreign languages. A part of me is saying do an adult nursing pre-reg masters at Salford or UCLAN and another part of me says just do teacher training because it's sort of "expected" of me. Is anyone studying teaching or nursing at postgraduate level who can help me out with some much-needed advice? I'm thinking of trying to get some more experience in both fields as I'm just so confused.
Thanks guys!
Original post by chatty_george
Hi,
I'm having a bit of a nightmare deciding what to do after I graduate. I'm unsure whether to do teaching or nursing after I graduate from my degree in foreign languages. A part of me is saying do an adult nursing pre-reg masters at Salford or UCLAN and another part of me says just do teacher training because it's sort of "expected" of me. Is anyone studying teaching or nursing at postgraduate level who can help me out with some much-needed advice? I'm thinking of trying to get some more experience in both fields as I'm just so confused.
Thanks guys!

I was like you a few years back. I then completed some placements in teaching and did not like it. For me it's too impersonal and a lot about a tick box exercise.
Try and get some experience in both fields to see what you're really passionate about and enjoy doing. There is really no point in doing something because it is expected of you or its what will do so to speak.
Both can be challenging careers and ideally a passion and a love for it helps.
I do enjoy teaching but I have found I would like to lecture in nursing some years down the line.
You don't want to commit and potentially spend money acquiring a qualification to not enjoy it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by deviant182
I was like you a few years back. I then completed some placements in teaching and did not like it. For me it's too impersonal and a lot about a tick box exercise.
Try and get some experience in both fields to see what you're really passionate about and enjoy doing. There is really no point in doing something because it is expected of you or its what will do so to speak.
Both can be challenging careers and ideally a passion and a love for it helps.
I do enjoy teaching but I have found I would like to lecture in nursing some years down the line.
You don't want to commit and potentially spend money acquiring a qualification to not enjoy it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm considering nurse lecturing too, one day... :smile:
Original post by chatty_george
Hi,
Thanks guys!

I guess it depends what you are looking for in a career??
Thanks for this. I have experience in both fields and whilst the nurses I have worked with seemed to absolutely love what they did I noticed that the teachers seemed desperately unhappy about issues such as pushy parents and the demands placed on them from DfE guidelines. The nurses were much happier, seemed to have more job satisfaction and genuinely enjoyed what they did. I did work in a hospice though so imagine it's a different kettle of fish from a main NHS hospital.
Original post by PaediatricStN
I guess it depends what you are looking for in a career??

I'm looking for a career mainly where I will never feel bored or like a cog in a machine. I want to work in an environment that's challenging yet highly rewarding where I constantly am learning new things. If it helps the matter more, I'm not afraid of blood or guts or even mopping up sick.
Reply 6
I had to make a decision between teaching and Speech and Language Therapy. I chose the latter because I realised that teaching would be a better pod but less satisfying version of what I already did (I was/still am a tutor). I did some cover supervision work and it was one of the worst hours of my life with one classroom (although the upside was I did get to throw half the class in detention). Teaching is mostly management with a bit of education thrown in and that's not what I wanted to do. I love teaching but I like to know I'm actually getting the job done. Plus the amount of hours I'd have to spend planning just to satisfy the requirements of a lesson just sucked the joy out of it.*

SLT (which you might want to consider as a languages graduate) was a way for me to use my skills in a way that I found meaningful and enjoyable. Teaching, for me, felt like however good I was as a tutor and an academic (and my results with students spoke for themselves there) would get lost in the mire of management, which I know I'm not so good at.*

It sounds like you're looking for a way to use your language skills and it seems like you might be thinking that teaching would give you the most opportunity to do that over nursing. Once again, though, I would direct you towards speech and language therapy if that's the case. Plenty of opportunity for you to use your skills there.

But even in nursing there are opportunities for you to use your language skills. You just have to look for them.*

Don't do teaching just because it's obvious. If I'd done that, I'd be miserable right now. There's a reason I avoided it for so long and I'm glad I did. *
Hi again giella,
This is exactly what puts me off about teaching - don't get me wrong it can be incredibly rewarding at times (such as getting a student with absolutely no confidence through a GCSE course and helping them to achieve a fantastic grade at the end of the year). This side of teaching would definitely make me want to get out of bed in the morning and work to my very best to improve every single students potential. The problem I have is exactly what you said about the tick-box culture and behavioural management side of it where you are made to feel like a glorified babysitter instead of a fully-fledged professional. However, I think the same thing exists in the NHS with government targets in departments such as A&E. Being a personal tutor like yourself would be amazing and I think I would really enjoy it. I also think that Speech and Language Therapy is a brilliant option but my main concern is the bursary cuts from central government which absolutely punishes students who want to get into a rewarding healthcare position. Unless the government make serious considerations to their plans to slash funding for health courses I think I have no option but to persevere and head into teaching as I will get a teaching bursary for my PGCE as languages are an in demand subject.
Reply 8
It is true about the funding. However, even if I were facing that I would still do it. Student lon debt is not the kind of debt I'm worried about. I just took out my maintenance loan for year two and despite never having made a payment on my previous loan from years ago I was able to tick the box saying "no" when asked if I was behind on my student loans. It's only paid back when you reach a certain threshold and you never notice it because it's gone before you ever get it. The debt I worry about is unsecured commercial debt. Like credit cards. Of which I have three.*
As long as you worked alongside your course you could take out the fees loan and probably avoid the maintenance side altogether. Many courses are dropping down to three years now and the masters courses are available at just two years. It is worth looking into. I'd rather have a career I lovee and pay for it than one that I only did because it was a cheap.*

However, if you are wanting to do the teaching thing, look into teach first. Another way to avoid the fees at all. *
Reply 9
Original post by giella
It is true about the funding. However, even if I were facing that I would still do it. Student lon debt is not the kind of debt I'm worried about. I just took out my maintenance loan for year two and despite never having made a payment on my previous loan from years ago I was able to tick the box saying "no" when asked if I was behind on my student loans. It's only paid back when you reach a certain threshold and you never notice it because it's gone before you ever get it. The debt I worry about is unsecured commercial debt. Like credit cards. Of which I have three.*
As long as you worked alongside your course you could take out the fees loan and probably avoid the maintenance side altogether. Many courses are dropping down to three years now and the masters courses are available at just two years. It is worth looking into. I'd rather have a career I lovee and pay for it than one that I only did because it was a cheap.*

However, if you are wanting to do the teaching thing, look into teach first. Another way to avoid the fees at all. *

Completely agree with this. People having kittens about student debt....it comes out before you even get your wage....it just becomes the norm. It's also not something you think "omg I'm 50k debt" no it doesn't bother me. Itl die with me no point bothering about it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending