The Student Room Group

Oxford PAT 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Inert1a
For those who have 'Povey's perplexing problems'. Puzzle 1.5, I understand everything apart from the formula used for working out the area of the quadrilateral. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have that book. Just looked at the online version of the book. That problem looks interesting.

The quadrilateral ACBD has, AC=AD and BC=BD where AB and CD are diagonals. It is easy to figure out that AB and CD are perpendicular.
Area of triangle ADB = 1/2 X AB X OD (Where O is the point where diagonals meet, not shown in the book. Draw it yourself) and area of triangle ACB is 1/2 X AB X OC.
Add these areas to get the area of the quadrilateral.
Since, OC + OD = CD
You get the formula 1/2 X AB X CD.

Hope this helps. :smile:

For those wondering, the figure is below:

quadrilateral..png
Original post by hellomynameisr
Not at all :rofl:

I proper feel like I am going to fail this exam and miss my Oxford place :cry:

Hopefully not tho lol

I feel okay for the maths section as I've completed the relevant A2 content but its the physics section that has me worried.

However, we all have until Nov 2nd which is plenty of time to get comfortable with everything and do all the past papers + more :biggrin:

The more I think about it, I find it nerve-wracking.

Original post by NatoHeadshot
I feel you i feel really unprepared for the physics section /:

I have troubles in both the sections.
As far as I have come to know, everyone finds Physics section difficult de-stresses me a little.
Maths section is really worrying.

Don't know what I should do.
Original post by tangotangopapa2
The more I think about it, I find it nerve-wracking.

I have troubles in both the sections.
As far as I have come to know, everyone finds Physics section difficult de-stresses me a little.
Maths section is really worrying.

Don't know what I should do.

I Think you'll smash it mate, just work consistently and i know ill be seeing you with an interview at the very least!

I was thinking about the 2014 quesstion with the motor and teh mass being pulled up? I was doing that today and i got stuck at the second part where they asked for the angular speed as i couldnt figure out that v=3u because there were 3 wires there, i really never came across such a thing but i guess ill have to study elementary machines more toroughly. Any thoughts on this?
(edited 7 years ago)
I feel you i feel really unprepared for the physics section /:

Yeah :sigh:

How are people preparing for the physics section?

No clue really every question catches me off guard like the question i asked above, could you help with it?

I suppose some good a2 physics book would be good, and alot of internet research
I Think you'll smash it mate, just work consistently and i know ill be seeing you with an interview at the very least!

Thanks for the inspiration mate. Good luck to you too.

I was thinking about the 2014 quesstion with the motor and teh mass being pulled up? I was doing that today and i got stuck at the second part where they asked for the angular speed as i couldnt figure out that v=3u because there were 3 wires there, i really never came across such a thing but i guess ill have to study elementary machines more toroughly. Any thoughts on this?

Studying elementary machines more thoroughly is a good idea. You could be more cautious about this when you see more numbers of wire.
Just a quick question for you to check the concept.

You have a mass attached to a pulley. A rope passes through that pulley and suspends the pulley. The two sides of rope are vertical.

- To the left of the pulley rope is released at the rate of 3 m/s and to the right the rope is pulled at the speed of 12 m/s.

Find with what speed and in what direction does the mass move.
No clue really every question catches me off guard like the question i asked above, could you help with it?

I suppose some good a2 physics book would be good, and alot of internet research

What is it exactly that is causing the problem for you in that question?

Thanks for posting this. I was looking for this since a long time ago.

Is elementary machine in GCSE? because I never did GCSE.
Thanks for posting this. I was looking for this since a long time ago.

Is elementary machine in GCSE? because I never did GCSE.

They are not in GCSE. We are only introduced to pulley systems in M1 (A level maths module). So this is quite new for us too

Obviously, attacking question after question. If something unknown comes on the way ask in the forum, do some research/internet search and move on.

That's what I like to do. The only problem is that I am chronic procrastinator.

How are you preparing for both the sections?
Also, M1/M2/M3 (A level maths) is very good preparation for the PAT if you guys didn't know this before.

If you haven't done these, try to learn at least M1, parts of M2 and circular motion from M3 to get a good idea of some of the questions that come up on the physics section.

The syllabus is very vague and leaves a lot of things off.
They are not in GCSE. We are only introduced to pulley systems in M1 (A level maths module). So this is quite new for us too

Is it edexcel M1?
I do OCR and we don't have pulley system in M1.

Thanks.
Obviously, attacking question after question. If something unknown comes on the way ask in the forum, do some research/internet search and move on.

That's what I like to do. The only problem is that I am chronic procrastinator.

How are you preparing for both the sections?

For the maths section, completed relevant A2 maths content and now just doing questions (although, still finding them difficult)

For the physics section, learning the relevant A2 physics content such as capacitors etc. Going to do some olympiad papers soon but probably won't do very well in them. Trying to understand the theory (for each topic listed in the syllabus) before rinsing the questions available
What is it exactly that is causing the problem for you in that question?

The idea that the speed is divided by the number of wires i havent come across this concept yet /:
Is it edexcel M1?
I do OCR and we don't have pulley system in M1.

Thanks.

Yes, edexcel M1 has pulleys in it
The idea that the speed is divided by the number of wires i havent come across this concept yet /:

Since the mass of the pulley and strings are neglected (stated in the question) we assume that the pulley and wire are smooth. This being the case, each of them will have the same acceleration/velocity.

Hope this helps
Thanks for the inspiration mate. Good luck to you too.

Studying elementary machines more thoroughly is a good idea. You could be more cautious about this when you see more numbers of wire.
Just a quick question for you to check the concept.

You have a mass attached to a pulley. A rope passes through that pulley and suspends the pulley. The two sides of rope are vertical.

- To the left of the pulley rope is released at the rate of 3 m/s and to the right the rope is pulled at the speed of 12 m/s.

Find with what speed and in what direction does the mass move.

So the mass is attached to the actual pulley and not to either side? /:

Yes. The 2 circle things is the pulley. As you can see from the diagram provided, the mass is hanging from the pulley and not any of the wires individually. Hence each of them has a tension of x N

Yes. The mass is attached to the actual pulley.

Quick Reply

Latest