The Student Room Group

Fourth A-Level

I received my GCSE results a few days ago and now I need to decide what subjects I need to take for A-Levels.

I will definitely be taking Maths, Further Maths and Physics but I am unsure of what to take for my fourth subject. I have decided I want to either take Psychology, Chemistry, Economics or Computer Science.

Psychology- I think it would be really fun as I enjoy it already and have read into the subject, it would also be a nice contrasting subject where I'd have to write essays as opposed to Maths or Physics. However, maybe of my teachers have advised me to take something more challenging like Chemistry.

Chemistry- I got an A* at GCSE but I don't find it very interesting, I find a few topics of it interesting but it would fit in a lot better with my other subjects and is highly valued.

Economics- Again it would fit in well and the teacher is very good, and although I'm into current affairs I feel economics would be boring for me,

Computer Science- I feel I would struggle in this subject as I haven't done anything like it before and I'm unsure as it is the first time they will be teaching it in college.

I've also been told that to study Maths at a top university (Oxbridge hopefully) I need to take 4 subjects as Further Maths sometimes isn't regarded as a full A-Level. Is this true?
Bumping since I only have a few days to decide.
Reply 2
The top universities usually prefer or require FM to do maths at uni.
I would suggest you do whatever you like best to get another A and look stronger.
Better to get an A in psychology than a C in chemistry.
I'm doing same subjects as you but with economics as 4th.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AdeptDz
The top universities usually prefer or require FM to do maths at uni.
I would suggest you do whatever you like best to get another A and look stronger.
Better to get an A in psychology than a C in chemistry.
I'm doing same subjects as you but with economics as 4th.

Thanks for the reply, that's what I was thinking. I made the mistake of taking GCSEs I didn't like and, although I did well, I was totally bored with the classes and the revision so I figured I wouldn't make the same mistake with A-Levels.
Reply 4
Original post by The Grand Design
Thanks for the reply, that's what I was thinking. I made the mistake of taking GCSEs I didn't like and, although I did well, I was totally bored with the classes and the revision so I figured I wouldn't make the same mistake with A-Levels.

no problem, so what you thinking to choose?

I didn't really want to do physics but it is physics or chemistry. And i prefer physics. I don't really like or hate it, but I have other sources of motivation to revise and do the best i can for physics other than liking the subject so it shouldnt reallt be a problem.
Original post by AdeptDz
no problem, so what you thinking to choose?

I didn't really want to do physics but it is physics or chemistry. And i prefer physics. I don't really like or hate it, but I have other sources of motivation to revise and do the best i can for physics other than liking the subject so it shouldnt reallt be a problem.

I'll probably take psychology since I find it the most interesting one out of the four I was thinking, and it's pretty different to maths and physics and requires essays which would keep my writing skills up to scratch.

What do you plan to do after A-Levels? I actually really love physics, it's easily my favourite subject so that was a no brainer. Chemistry is okay but I only like a very small amount of topics in it, which is why I've been hesitant to take it.
Reply 6
I'll probably take psychology since I find it the most interesting one out of the four I was thinking, and it's pretty different to maths and physics and requires essays which would keep my writing skills up to scratch.

What do you plan to do after A-Levels? I actually really love physics, it's easily my favourite subject so that was a no brainer. Chemistry is okay but I only like a very small amount of topics in it, which is why I've been hesitant to take it.

hopefully, study stats/finance/maths/economics at university, not sure yet depends how i do. And cool, good luck for next year.
Reply 7
Further maths is usually counted as far as i know, especially for maths at uni. I did three, one of which being FM and it didn't put me at a disadvantage when it came to offers at all.
I think its medicine (at some universities) which doesn't accept it but I'm not sure, that was the only reason I've known aspiring medics to drop it, anyway.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AdeptDz
hopefully, study stats/finance/maths/economics at university, not sure yet depends how i do. And cool, good luck for next year.

Awesome, I'll probably go on to study maths or physics at university. And good luck to you too. :h:
Reply 9

I've also been told that to study Maths at a top university (Oxbridge hopefully) I need to take 4 subjects as Further Maths sometimes isn't regarded as a full A-Level. Is this true?

That's a load of rubbish. Any uni doing a maths course that thinks further maths isn't a full A level isn't worth applying to.
I received my GCSE results a few days ago and now I need to decide what subjects I need to take for A-Levels.

I will definitely be taking Maths, Further Maths and Physics but I am unsure of what to take for my fourth subject. I have decided I want to either take Psychology, Chemistry, Economics or Computer Science.

Psychology- I think it would be really fun as I enjoy it already and have read into the subject, it would also be a nice contrasting subject where I'd have to write essays as opposed to Maths or Physics. However, maybe of my teachers have advised me to take something more challenging like Chemistry.

Chemistry- I got an A* at GCSE but I don't find it very interesting, I find a few topics of it interesting but it would fit in a lot better with my other subjects and is highly valued.

Economics- Again it would fit in well and the teacher is very good, and although I'm into current affairs I feel economics would be boring for me,

Computer Science- I feel I would struggle in this subject as I haven't done anything like it before and I'm unsure as it is the first time they will be teaching it in college.

I'm in the same position for the same A Levels :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lazuli
Further maths is usually counted as far as i know, especially for maths at uni. I did three, one of which being FM and it didn't put me at a disadvantage when it came to offers at all.
I think its medicine (at some universities) which doesn't accept it but I'm not sure, that was the only reason I've known aspiring medics to drop it, anyway.

Okay thank you, I'll probably go with psychology then as my fourth then since I won't be going into medicine.
Original post by Himani Vadhia
I'm in the same position for the same A Levels :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's awesome, what were you thinking of taking as a fourth?
I did three AS levels and still got an offer from all of my unis (Exeter, Loughborough and Sheffield) to do economics so it is not essential to do three. I just wanted to concentrate on those three rather than having a fourth drag me down. Ended up with A*AB so I'm ecstatic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Physics wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was definitely going to do Maths, FM and Chemistry but couldn't choose between Physics, Psychology, Economics or Computer sci

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kalista96
I did three AS levels and still got an offer from all of my unis (Exeter, Loughborough and Sheffield) to do economics so it is not essential to do three. I just wanted to concentrate on those three rather than having a fourth drag me down. Ended up with A*AB so I'm ecstatic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's great! I think I'll still take 4 but I'm most likely to go with psychology which I enjoy.
Original post by Himani Vadhia
I was definitely going to do Maths, FM and Chemistry but couldn't choose between Physics, Psychology, Economics or Computer sci

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh that's pretty awesome, I'll probably go with Psychology as my fourth.

Quick Reply