The Student Room Group

Atheists, how did you tell your parents about your non-beliefs?

How old were you and what was their response?

Scroll to see replies

7 or 8. I renounced my Christianity as well as Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy.

My Dad couldn't care less. My Mum still maintains I'm a Christian because I was baptised. She also still puts out a carrot for Rudolph.
Only my mum is a Christian. I think deep down she knew I was an atheist before I knew what atheist even meant. She forced me to go to church when I was younger and I hated it. It felt silly to me putting our heads down and praying. I was probably like 7 or so at the time.
Reply 3
Original post by ColossalAtom
Only my mum is a Christian. I think deep down she knew I was an atheist before I knew what atheist even meant. She forced me to go to church when I was younger and I hated it. It felt silly to me putting our heads down and praying. I was probably like 7 or so at the time.

Same bro! Just felt like a puppet in strings being forced to pray
Reply 4
Original post by Quantex
7 or 8. I renounced my Christianity as well as Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy.

My Dad couldn't care less. My Mum still maintains I'm a Christian because I was baptised. She also still puts out a carrot for Rudolph.

Well no one actually believes in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairywhere as christianity alot of people do believe in and its has highly developed set of laws and rules regarding how to live and worship etc. So I would have assumed you put more thought into rejection religion and the 1000s of people who say they have experienced miracles that you did in rejecting santa claus
Original post by I am Kira
How old were you and what was their response?

I'm not sure, like 9? My parents always forced me to go to church and it was so boring and I just thought it was stupid, I was just shocked at how you could believe something there is absolutely no proof or anything for 😂 My mums still in denial though, she says I'm Christian as I was baptised whilst I retain that It is your personal beliefs and actions which make you Christian. Had an interesting conversation with my grand parents at 13 who said I was going to go to hell if I don't start praying and "you're too young you WILL believe when you're older you don't understand gods complexity"
I hate that kind of belittling. A 13 year old is perfectly capable of deciding what they believe

Also, loving the avatar and name :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
I like how this is worded as if it was the same as coming out gay/lesbian :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by jon2016
Well no one actually believes in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairywhere as christianity alot of people do believe in and its has highly developed set of laws and rules regarding how to live and worship etc. So I would have assumed you put more thought into rejection religion and the 1000s of people who say they have experienced miracles that you did in rejecting santa claus

Yh atheists don't believe in fiction mate :colonhash:

How does that suddenly validate a religion. Games, stories and concepts have loads of rules we don't consider them as non fiction :confused:
Reply 8
I just told them I do not want to continue believing in fairy tales.
I am a ex-christian. Have been for 4 years...Not so great when your mum is a devoted Christian huh?

My mum knows nothing about me being an ex-Christian. I have had senarios in my head where I approach to tell her, but I know it wouldn't be anytime soon because she would be gutted.
I will continue to being a "fake" christian to her for as long as I can tbh. The most my Mum forces me to do Is pray once a day, so I am okay with that. She doesn't force me to go to church or read the bibe.
Pending
Can't remember what age but I did say from a fairly young age I didn't believe I'm God but I was outspoken and more open about it in my teens. My family are all atheists or agonistic other than my gran so they didn't really bat an eyelid. My gran wasn't surprised but didn't mind either way. It wasn't a big deal to come out as an atheist in my family so I don't really remember how it came up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't. I will be hunted down and stoned to death. I don't know about you but I rather not have such a depressing fate.
Reply 13
Quite simple really, they were explaining to my brother something from the bible for his RE homework and I just said "it's a load of *******s, but that's what it says"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Personally, my dad's an atheist and my mum is sort of agnostic, so it really wasn't a big deal. I think they just sort of assumed.

Original post by isabella1999
A 13 year old is perfectly capable of deciding what they believe

Tbqh a 13 year old isn't even capable of deciding what they ought to have for dinner.
I was 12 and they didn't really give a **** :smile:)
:confused:

Just said I didn't believe in it...
My parents couldn't care less.
they pretended not to care when obviously they did
I didn't need too. Religion/belief's a personal thing.

Quick Reply

Latest