The Student Room Group

I don't know how anyone can eat meat :-(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IWMTom
We evolved by eating meat, and it's only little attention seekers like yourself who've come along recently and made the whole vegetarian/vegan bull**** rife. No offence to you, I respect your decision, but I personally couldn't care less about the animal - I like meat, I will eat meat.

If your suffering matters, why doesn’t the suffering of every sentient being matter? Suffering is suffering, no matter the being that is experiencing it.

We no longer require meat, that’s the important thing. Our evolutionary history is irrelevant.

Original post by IWMTom
This happens every day in the animal kingdom - animals eating animals - what do you propose to do about that? Just stop the food chain? This whole not eating meat malarky is a frivolous attempt at retaining "morals" that quite frankly aren't correct.

Whether or not it happens in the animal kingdom is irrelevant: we should reduce the suffering that we’re responsible for.

As it happens, I do believe that, in theory, we should phase out predation, as long as we ensure that ecosystems aren’t significantly affected.

Original post by SCIENCE :D
Most people realise that there are lot more important issues to address in the world at this current time than how a chicken is killed.

Tens of billions of non-human animals every year are confined in appalling conditions, transported under a great deal of stress and then slaughtered often inhumanely. The scale of this problem is huge, and the suffering experienced by non-human animals in the meat industry exceeds that of any other group of beings in the history of mankind.

Yuval Noah Harari, author of Sapiens, describes industrialised animal agriculture (which produces the majority of meat sold in the UK) as the greatest crime in history. I would be inclined to agree.

Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I think it's perfectly okay to kill animals for meat, but I think slaughterhouse practices need to be more humane. I think it's important that you get your meat from good sources.

Original post by beccac94
Animals in this country are raised in some of the best conditions in the world
I justify eating meat through having free range or locally sourced meat. I know that these animals have had good lives and having in some cases even helped raise these animals on placement I know that they couldn't have had better lives. If you buy UK meat (which has a red tractor) for the most part you can guarantee the animals have optimum welfare.

Original post by loginrunner

Buy meat from Britain, most animals don't feel pain from their death due to being stunned, the only time animals are not stunned is for Jews and Muslims so just buy normal British meat.

Original post by CaptErin
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but this is definitely NOT a UK slaughterhouse, and most of the slaughterhouses in these PETA-style videos will not be UK slaughterhouses, because we have very strict rules which are actively enforced and arguably among the most humane globally. For example, the animals in this video can see each other being stunned and killed - this is illegal in the UK. The animals are waiting considerable periods of time between stunning and killing - this is illegal in the UK. The animals are hoisted before being stunned - this is illegal in the UK. These videos only show the worst, I wholeheartedly believe it is possible to eat meat and have it come from humane sources.

The welfare of non-human animals in the UK meat industry is simply atrocious, in general. The majority of meat sold in the UK is factory-farmed, and despite the claims of many, I sincerely doubt that people who claim to care about animal welfare, but eat meat, never buy factory-farmed meat. (“Free-range” and “humane” are marketing terms, nothing more, and the Red Tractor symbol is useless. Farms using all of these terms and marketing labels have been exposed as having terrible conditions - see below)

Indeed, if people only buy meat from small, local farms whose conditions they can personally assess, then that’s acceptable, but whenever they can’t verify the conditions in which the animals were kept when eating out, for instance –they should eat vegan. In addition, there’s not nearly enough land for humane, pasture-based farms to satisfy the current demand for meat: we need to substantially reduce our consumption of meat and other animal products in any case. So, for every meat-eater who doesn’t reduce consumption to one or two portions a week, a vegan is, in essence, carrying some of the extra burden.

Most people, as I say, buy from factory farms.

In the bulk of the meat industry, non-human animals reared for meat have their natural instincts suppressed, so much so that they show signs of depression according to some animal experts. Behaviours that are not seen in the wild are regularly seen in the meat industry: pigs bite the tails of other pigs, inflicting severe pain on them; chickens peck at the feathers of other chickens; and pigs kept in farrowing crates bite the bars of their cages.

The vast majority of chickens sold in the UK are kept in huge, overcrowded sheds, with no natural light whatsoever. Each chicken can have floor space that’s just the size of an A4 sheet of paper. They essentially live in their faeces, which often isn’t cleared out until slaughter time, and the air can become highly polluted with ammonia from the droppings, causing painful burns to develop on the legs and the breast, as well as ulcerated feet, respiratory and eye problems.

Chickens are also grown so fast that their legs can collapse under the weight of their bodies, or they become lame, and they also develop heart and lung problems as a result. Hundreds of thousands of chickens, if not millions, die every year from heart problems as a result. Chickens under the age of 10 days can still be de-beaked with a hot blade without anaesthetic and 1 in 10 turkeys, who are raised in the same horrible conditions, are still de-beaked. The beak is an incredibly sensitive area with many nerves: it is difficult to imagine the pain that occurs as a result of this.

Pigs, meanwhile, can be kept in farrowing crates for weeks at a time; these crates are so narrow that they can’t even move their bodies. In such confinement, pigs show signs of severe depression: they are highly intelligent, complex animals who can outperform three-year-olds on tests of cognition and video games they require stimulation. As with chickens, many pigs die due to neglect in these horrible conditions. Here are some examples of typical UK pig farms, including some owned by people who have received honours from the Queen for work on “animal welfare”, including some which were labelled 'freedom food' farms by the RSPCA, and some labelled "Red Tractor".

Piglets also regularly have their tails docked and their teeth clipped without anaesthetic, inflicting extreme pain on them. The justification for this, as alluded to earlier, is that they would bite the tails of other pigs because of their sheer boredom and empty existence. Yet, choosing between the two is a false dichotomy: we should instead not breed them into such conditions in the first place.

In the egg industry, unwanted male chicks are placed, fully conscious, into giant shredders. Half of the eggs sold in the UK still come from caged hens (how many of these caged eggs are used in all of the products we eat and in restaurants?), in which hens can’t effectively practice their natural behaviours, and in which feather pecking still regularly occurs. If a hen is severely injured, as some were in this video, there's no possibility of helping them, despite their clear vocalizations. Because they’ve been bred to produce large amounts of eggs, laying hens can suffer from osteoporosis and fractures, which is exacerbated by their restricted movement in cages.

Free-range hens often fare no better. Contrary to popular belief, the term free-range simply entails that there needs to be a small hole in a large crowded shed through which the hens can escape outside for a few hours a day. As numerous investigations have shown, so-called free-range farms are often no better for the hens than cages. As for fish, when they are taken out of the water, often die from asphyxiation. The depressurization can also cause their insides to burst. It’s extremely difficult to even attempt to humanely slaughter fish.

All of this occurs before the transportation and slaughter process, which results in even more stress for the animals. Chickens, for instance, have to be rounded up and are essentially thrown into crammed crates before being taken to the slaughterhouse. Long journeys to the slaughterhouse cause animals a significant amount of stress. Due to neglect and disease in farms, as well as fires and other accidents, tens of millions of animals in the UK die before they even reach the slaughterhouse. This occurs on country farms and in factory farms.

In slaughterhouses even secular ones the slaughter process very often isn’t humane, because stunning can go wrong in a significant proportion of cases. Various studies have found that the slaughter process goes wrong in between 10-40% of cases. This equates to millions upon millions of animals chickens, pigs and cows - dying in intense pain every single year. Random investigations of secular, non-religious slaughterhouses in the UK have corroborated the fact that slaughter conditions are very often terrible.

Chickens are shackled upside down by their feet, which can exacerbate leg problems they’ve already developed in the slaughterhouse, and being hung also causes them extreme stress. Their heads are dipped into an electric water bath, but many chickens (and turkeys) may raise their heads, therefore they miss the water bath and are slaughtered whilst fully conscious. Other chickens and turkeys may have their wings painfully electrocuted instead of their heads, before being slaughtered alive.

Gassing has become an increasingly popular method of killing pigs and chickens, but it’s not at all humane. Pigs, for example, can be seen gasping for breath for up to 30 seconds, and trying desperately to get out of the gas chambers.

Overall, due to the insatiable demand for meat, we treat non-human animals are economic units who need to be bred and slaughtered as fast as possible and as cheaply as possible. They're not treated as sentient beings whose interests we should equally consider. Even if people think that intelligence somehow determines how much your suffering matters, we wouldn’t dream of treating severely intellectually disabled humans, or human infants, in the ways in which we treat animals reared for meat or used for eggs and dairy.

Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
It's horrible yeah
But I know I'm not going to personally make a difference, and the animals are already dead when you buy the meat. So I just eat meat and ignore the feels.

You do personally make a difference, because you reduce demand for the meat, which means that fewer animals are confined, transported and killed. As Dylan Matthews illustrates in the middle of this article, abstaining from consuming animals does make a difference.

The only thing stopping me from becoming a vegetarian when I was eating meat was this notion that I wouldn't make a difference, but then I learned about expected value and realized that the maths roughly works out such that vegetarians save an animal each time they abstain from eating one. And, in my experience, when I've not eaten meat, others around me have eaten meat less (maybe because it's inconvenient to make so many dishes), so you save even more animals as a result of societal effects. See also here and here for more discussion of "do I make a difference?"

Original post by ColossalAtom
I'm not an overwhelmingly affectionate person. So eating meat doesn't affect me. I find it absurd that vegans can't even consume honey.

I’m not an overwhelmingly affectionate person either, but unless you’re a psychopath, you surely care about the suffering of other humans. Even if not, you surely care about your own suffering. Is there any rational justification for believing that your own suffering matters, but that the suffering of any other being who can experience suffering doesn’t? Why should the species of the being make a difference as to whether or not its suffering matters?

Jeremy Bentham, the great philosopher who was ahead of his time on so many issues, recognized this in the 1700s by reasoning from first principles:

The French have already discovered that the blackness of skin is no reason why a human being should be abandoned without redress to the caprice of a tormentor. It may come one day to be recognized, that the number of legs, the villosity of the skin, or the termination of the os sacrum, are reasons equally insufficient for abandoning a sensitive being to the same fate. What else is it that should trace the insuperable line? Is it the faculty of reason, or perhaps, the faculty for discourse?...the question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? Why should the law refuse its protection to any sensitive being?... The time will come when humanity will extend its mantle over everything which breathes...

He was an early opponent of slavery. He also opposed capital punishment and the physical punishment of children; supported full women's rights and the right to divorce; and was far ahead of his time in supporting gay rights and animal rights. As with most people during his time, he didn't particularly like the thought of homosexuality, but even despite this, he supported gay rights, because he relied on reason. Similarly, you don't need to be an animal lover, or be overwhelmingly emotional, to recognize that we should be vegan, or moving towards it.

Original post by JRKinder
If you look at our dental structure then we have teeth that are well adapted to eating both meat and vegetation, we clearly are omnivores. No, we don't need it to survive, but it still has many vital compounds in it that are otherwise frustrating to consume (I don't fancy chomping down on a hundred nuts each day, for example).

One doesn’t need to chomp down on a hundred nuts each day. Nuts are great, but also buy some fruits, vegetables, whole-grains and legumes. If you eat a healthy, balanced diet anyway, it’s easy to get all of the nutrients one needs on a vegan diet (except for Vitamin B12, which is easy to find in supplement form or in fortified foods, and as Public Health England have said, everyone should be taking a Vitamin D supplement from October to March).
(edited 7 years ago)
I was waiting for Viddy to show up and destroy everyone.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
x

Funny how all vegans come out rather aggressive when trying to convince
others to become vegans. :hmmmm2:
Personally I think that the animal genocide that occurs everyday is one of the biggest issues of our time. If you feel that poverty is more important then fair enough, but bare in mind that if the world went vegan then world hunger would almost be eradicated as the space used to tear animals could be used much more efficiently for crops which produce far more food for energy in than meat does.
Original post by HurtfulHarold
I think the truth of the matter is veganism isn't really going to become a trend or anything at the moment, most likely certainly not in our lifetimes anyways. A possible reason for this it that to be honest, there are bigger issues that require our attention, like poverty for instance. OP, do you truly feel as if veganism is the biggest crisis out there at the moment, if not shouldn't you be trying to raise awareness for something else?
Personally I think that the animal genocide that occurs everyday is one of the biggest issues of our time. If you feel that poverty is more important then fair enough, but bare in mind that if the world went vegan then world hunger would almost be eradicated as the space used to rear animals could be used much more efficiently for crops which produce far more food for energy in than meat does.
Original post by HurtfulHarold
I think the truth of the matter is veganism isn't really going to become a trend or anything at the moment, most likely certainly not in our lifetimes anyways. A possible reason for this it that to be honest, there are bigger issues that require our attention, like poverty for instance. OP, do you truly feel as if veganism is the biggest crisis out there at the moment, if not shouldn't you be trying to raise awareness for something else?
Original post by uglyslut
I'm a vegan and have been for 5 year now I couldnt even watch the video I just think that the way they do it is so cruel I mean I dont mind if people eat meat if the animal is already dead but I dont agree with them killing animals in this way its terrible!!

Why is your username "uglyslut" ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 186
Well I usually eat mine medium-well done with a knife and fork. It depends really, I like my chicken to be just cooked, like as soon as it's all white. If you cook it too much it goes hard but if you under cook it.. Well I hope you have plenty of bleach to clean the toilet afterwards.
Can vegans get off their high horse and stop judging us meat eaters. Bet you'd love the taste of a bacon sarnie if I shoved one in your mouth.
Also how does killing animals cause climate change?
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I think it's perfectly okay to kill animals for meat, but I think slaughterhouse practices need to be more humane. I think it's important that you get your meat from good sources.

This.

I think the state should take stronger steps to protect animal welfare, preferably by mandating that all meat sold in the UK must have been produced according to reasonable welfare standards, but, personally, the cost/benefit analysis of abstaining from eating meat for the sake of potentially making some immeasurably insignificant impact on the meat industry's welfare standards really doesn't work out.
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Can vegans get off their high horse and stop judging us meat eaters. Bet you'd love the taste of a bacon sarnie if I shoved one in your mouth.

You've freely chosen to participate in this thread, and it's impossible for me not to make value-judgements. If I didn't believe that being vegan was the right thing to do, I wouldn't be a vegan.

You're judging me right now, in fact, because you believe that I shouldn't be judging you There's nothing wrong with judging people (EDIT: their actions), as long as it's done in a reasonably respectful manner. My last post, with numerous citations, attempts to outline why I think eating meat is morally unjustifiable.

The meat industry is a major contributor to climate change, responsible for almost 15% of greenhouse gas emissions, more than the entire transportation sector.

The Environmental Working Group has found that virtually all plant-based products are responsible for fewer emissions than animal products, which is why it’s unsurprising that a 2014 study, published in the peer-reviewed journal Climatic Change, found that vegans, followed by vegetarians, had the lowest greenhouse gas emissions associated with their diets. It’s also why the UN’s Environment Program has called on everyone to move towards a vegan diet:

Impacts from agriculture are expected to increase substantially due to population growth increasing consumption of animal products. Unlike fossil fuels, it is difficult to look for alternatives: people have to eat. A substantial reduction of impacts would only be possible with a substantial worldwide diet change, away from animal products.

Why? Growing plants and transporting them to the consumer is much less greenhouse gas intensive than: growing crops, transporting them to the farm, powering the farm (which produces waste and methane emissions from burps (methane is a more potent greenhouse gas than CO2)), transporting the animals to the slaughterhouse, powering the slaughterhouse, and then transporting the meat to the consumer.

Given that climate change is already causing humans to suffer - and will continue to do so but at an accelerating rate - we should all take individual action to ensure that the warming of the planet is slowed and halted. Governments seem set to fail in the duty: the Paris climate change agreement doesn't even limit warming to 2C, and that's even assuming that every country will keep to its pledge.

Original post by TimmonaPortella
This.

I think the state should take stronger steps to protect animal welfare, preferably by mandating that all meat sold in the UK must have been produced according to reasonable welfare standards, but, personally, the cost/benefit analysis of abstaining from eating meat for the sake of potentially making some immeasurably insignificant impact on the meat industry's welfare standards really doesn't work out.

When you abstain from eating meat and other animal products, you prevent animals from being raised, transported and slaughtered in the terrible conditions I outlined in my previous post. And, as I demonstrated, the maths roughly works out such that each animal you abstain from eating roughly translates to one animal saved.

EDIT: Also, British animal welfare law already requires that unnecessary suffering of animals in the meat industry be minimized. The industry gets to define what's necessary, of course (and they haven't considered, for instance, that eating meat and other animal products is entirely unnecessary). As a result, most of the meat sold in the UK comes from factory farms, and slaughterhouse conditions are very often inhumane. "Free-range", "humane", "RSPCA-certified" and "Red Tractor" have also been exposed as being nothing more than marketing terms. Again, this is because the profit of the meat industry will always come before the welfare of the animals, and that's because we have such high demand for meat.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by IWMTom
We evolved by eating meat, and it's only little attention seekers like yourself who've come along recently and made the whole vegetarian/vegan bull**** rife. No offence to you, I respect your decision, but I personally couldn't care less about the animal - I like meat, I will eat meat.

Firstly, vegetarians have existed for thousands of years, from ancient Greece to India, and people who are much smarter and more distinguished than you will ever be are vegetarians, it's not just concerned teenage girls. Secondly If you don't care about the animal, does that mean you believe it is acceptable to inflict suffering on animals? How do you justify this opinion? And I'm afraid 'we evolved eating meat' makes absolutely no sense whatsoever as a justification. I'm not even a vegetarian myself, but it annoys me when people say 'we evolved to do X' because that is just sheer ignorance of science.

Science tells us what happened in the past, how things happens and what is likely to happen in the future, it doesn't tell us anything about what should or should not happen. That is a matter for moral philosophy. And 'we evolved doing X so we should continue to do it' derives from a school of philosophy called social Darwinism, which has been thoroughly discredited both by philosophers and also by mainstream scientists. Ironically, you are actually using the same logical fallacy that vegan/hippy types use, since they also believe that 'natural is good, unnatural is bad', without any basis for believing this.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by viddy9

When you abstain from eating meat and other animal products, you prevent animals from being raised in the terrible conditions I outlined in my previous post.

Perhaps on a very small scale, in the context of an industry which will benefit from inevitable growth in global demand and therefore continue to expand regardless. I don't really do empty symbolism, personally. If there were a way for me to contribute to a significant change where there are problems I would be happy to do so, whether that involved supporting tougher legislation against abuses or joining a general boycott which actually affected the relevant companies' bottom lines in a meaningful way, but as far as the tiny impact which I could make on the industry by deciding merely for myself not to consume animal products is concerned I'm afraid my enjoyment of meat outweighs the amount of animal suffering I'd actually prevent.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Perhaps on a very small scale, in the context of an industry which will benefit from inevitable growth in global demand and therefore continue to expand regardless. I don't really do empty symbolism, personally. If there were a way for me to contribute to a significant change where there are problems I would be happy to do so, whether that involved supporting tougher legislation against abuses or joining a general boycott which actually affected the relevant companies' bottom lines in a meaningful way, but as far as the tiny impact which I could make on the industry by deciding merely for myself not to consume animal products is concerned I'm afraid my enjoyment of meat outweighs the amount of animal suffering I'd actually prevent.

A vegetarian saves hundreds of animals every single year (see the middle of this article, which I linked to before, and here); I'd hardly call this a tiny impact, and that's not including the societal effects of your decision (people around you may eat less meat as a result, for instance). You'll be slowing the growth of the industry, not all "expansion" is equal.

Going vegan shouldn't be seen as an all-or-nothing thing, either. Reducing consumption of meat and other animal products still does significant good, and means that you can still enjoy meat while still alleviating some suffering. Cutting out (in this order) chicken, eggs, pig products and fish whilst still eating beef is also another way to cut out a lot of the suffering while still being able to enjoy some meat. (See here for some commentary and explanation on this.)

Finally, there are some highly cost-effective animal advocacy organizations fighting for better conditions in the meat industry and tackling factory farming, and they're achieving measurable results, including helping to pass legislation outlawing the gestation crate, and getting retailers across the Western world to commit to only supplying cage-free eggs (which is far from perfect, given the problems with cage-free systems, but a start). Animal Charity Evaluators, which compares and evaluates the cost-effectiveness and transparency of animal charities, estimates that for every $1 donated to their currently recommended charities (The Humane League, Mercy for Animals and Animal Equality), 13-14 animals are spared the misery of factory farming. Donating even a small amount to these charities every month would therefore do a lot of good, and potentially more good than your individual dietary change (indeed, some meat-eaters now donate to these charities to 'offset' their meat consumption).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by viddy9
A vegetarian saves hundreds of animals every single year (see the middle of this article, which I linked to before, and here); I'd hardly call this a tiny impact, and that's not including the societal effects of your decision (people around you may eat less meat as a result, for instance). You'll be slowing the growth of the industry, not all "expansion" is equal.

Going vegan shouldn't be seen as an all-or-nothing thing, either. Reducing consumption of meat and other animal products still does significant good, and means that you can still enjoy meat while still alleviating some suffering. Cutting out (in this order) chicken, eggs, pig products and fish whilst still eating beef is also another way to cut out a lot of the suffering while still being able to enjoy some meat. (See here for some commentary and explanation on this.)

Finally, there are some highly cost-effective animal advocacy organizations fighting for better conditions in the meat industry and tackling factory farming, and they're achieving measurable results, including helping to pass legislation outlawing the gestation crate, and getting retailers across the Western world to commit to only supplying cage-free eggs (which is far from perfect, given the problems with cage-free systems, but a start). Animal Charity Evaluators, which compares and evaluates the cost-effectiveness and transparency of animal charities, estimates that for every $1 donated to their currently recommended charities (The Humane League, Mercy for Animals and Animal Equality), 13-14 animals are spared the misery of factory farming. Donating even a small amount to these charities every month would therefore do a lot of good, and potentially more good than your individual dietary change (indeed, some meat-eaters now donate to these charities to 'offset' their meat consumption).

Okay, thanks for this. I'll have a look at your source on the implications of preferring particular meats, and at sending some money to some of those charities. If the figure you've cited is accurate that's a really incredible impact for the money.
This is part of natural selection- the weak die and the strong survive and so far, the humans are winning. Therefore, that's why we take advantage of them like this.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by IWMTom
This happens every day in the animal kingdom - animals eating animals - what do you propose to do about that? Just stop the food chain? This whole not eating meat malarky is a frivolous attempt at retaining "morals" that quite frankly aren't correct.

SOME animals eat each other (SOME). Only 25% of animals in the animal kingdom eat other animals. Also, SOME animals also rape each other, so going by your logic it is ok for humans to rape other humans. That the problem with you people, you never consistent in your logic. One moment you're saying its ok to do something because other animals doing it, the next minute you're saying NO NO humans are not animals, its not ok to act like the other animals NOOOO.

Can you get off your high house and stop acting like you know it all?
Original post by viddy9
You've freely chosen to participate in this thread, and it's impossible for me not to make value-judgements. If I didn't believe that being vegan was the right thing to do, I wouldn't be a vegan.

You're judging me right now, in fact, because you believe that I shouldn't be judging you There's nothing wrong with judging people (EDIT: their actions), as long as it's done in a reasonably respectful manner. My last post, with numerous citations, attempts to outline why I think eating meat is morally unjustifiable.

The meat industry is a major contributor to climate change, responsible for almost 15% of greenhouse gas emissions, more than the entire transportation sector.

The Environmental Working Group has found that virtually all plant-based products are responsible for fewer emissions than animal products, which is why it’s unsurprising that a 2014 study, published in the peer-reviewed journal Climatic Change, found that vegans, followed by vegetarians, had the lowest greenhouse gas emissions associated with their diets. It’s also why the UN’s Environment Program has called on everyone to move towards a vegan diet:

Why? Growing plants and transporting them to the consumer is much less greenhouse gas intensive than: growing crops, transporting them to the farm, powering the farm (which produces waste and methane emissions from burps (methane is a more potent greenhouse gas than CO2)), transporting the animals to the slaughterhouse, powering the slaughterhouse, and then transporting the meat to the consumer.

Given that climate change is already causing humans to suffer - and will continue to do so but at an accelerating rate - we should all take individual action to ensure that the warming of the planet is slowed and halted. Governments seem set to fail in the duty: the Paris climate change agreement doesn't even limit warming to 2C, and that's even assuming that every country will keep to its pledge.

When you abstain from eating meat and other animal products, you prevent animals from being raised, transported and slaughtered in the terrible conditions I outlined in my previous post. And, as I demonstrated, the maths roughly works out such that each animal you abstain from eating roughly translates to one animal saved.

EDIT: Also, British animal welfare law already requires that unnecessary suffering of animals in the meat industry be minimized. The industry gets to define what's necessary, of course (and they haven't considered, for instance, that eating meat and other animal products is entirely unnecessary). As a result, most of the meat sold in the UK comes from factory farms, and slaughterhouse conditions are very often inhumane. "Free-range", "humane", "RSPCA-certified" and "Red Tractor" have also been exposed as being nothing more than marketing terms. Again, this is because the profit of the meat industry will always come before the welfare of the animals, and that's because we have such high demand for meat.

Yessss You tell her.:wink:
Original post by IWMTom

You couldn't care less about the animal? Why don't you care about animal welfare?

If I were to link you the most horrific animal abuse stories on the web, stories where kittens are put in bags and used as baseballs. Stories where dogs are chained to a gate and left to starve and freeze in the middle of winter. Are you telling me that you couldn't "care less" about the welfare of those animals?

What's the difference between a dog and a cat, and a pig and a lamb?

OP, I need videos like this to encourage me to stay vegetarian. I ****ing love meat. I regularly crave ordering a juicy rare steak to get my teeth into. And I have caved sometimes, because like I say, I ****ing love meat. But in the end, the animal welfare trumps whatever sort of hedonistic pleasure I get from chewing on a dead animal.

Yes believe it or not people, my moral values trump my drive for pleasure. Something which believe it or not, is a daily expectation for many of us. Why is this any different?

Makes me wonder whether all the "moral" behaviour we conduct on a day to day basis is a result of a desire to be good and moral, or actually simply a desire to avoid getting into trouble and to act in accordance with social norms. There's no laws restricting meat consumption, it's not frowned upon, so you people have no problem in obtaining your pleasure, even if it causes significant, and unnecessary suffering.

But anyway, enjoy your juicy steaks. But on a similar vein to Kate Moss's "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels", nothing tastes as good as the feeling that your playing your small part in the prevention of suffering.
(edited 7 years ago)

The ignorance.

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/would-eating-less-meat-really-combat-climate-change-a6753466.html

Quick Reply

Latest