The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Who else has their test on September 5th? :biggrin:
Original post by ASTK98
Anyone who's done the UKCAT exam, how many questions did you find (roughly) that didn't contain key words in them in the VR section? I.e questions like "which of the following can be concluded from the passage" or "which of the following is the author most likely to agree/disagree with"? Was there a lot of them or only a couple?

throughout this thread, most questions were comprehnsive type ones not T/F/CT, most people had a handfull of the T/F/CT questions
I only used the ukcat official website for revision and got an average of 710
How representative are the sections (VR, AR and especially QR)in mock A compared to the real thing? I found the QR questions on the official mocks were very intimidating compared to Medify :frown:
Original post by xJessScott
throughout this thread, most questions were comprehnsive type ones not T/F/CT, most people had a handfull of the T/F/CT questions

Yup I saw that, but the comprehensive type can have a key word in them. I was wondering how many of them didn't, because generally those ones are the hardest and take up the most time
Original post by saran23
How representative are the sections (VR, AR and especially QR)in mock A compared to the real thing? I found the QR questions on the official mocks were very intimidating compared to Medify :frown:

I asked my friend who's done the exam twice now and he said that the VR and AR questions on the UKCAT website are roughly the same in terms of difficulty as the ones in the actual exam. Said QR was much easier in the actual exam than the ones on the website though (as have many others).
Original post by ASTK98
I asked my friend who's done the exam twice now and he said that the VR and AR questions on the UKCAT website are roughly the same in terms of difficulty as the ones in the actual exam. Said QR was much easier in the actual exam than the ones on the website though (as have many others).

That's very reassuring to hear. I was ok with VR and AR in mock A but QR was a different matter. Most of the early questions in particular were very long and wordy.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ASTK98
Sure! This is my first draft. I'll probably make another one on A3 paper once I've finished doing more questions. Excuse my messy writing. 🙈

Thank you! This is fab! :smile:
so ive been revising for a while now and done the mini mocks for each section on medify and got the following

VR: 630
QR: 670
AR: 600
SJT: Band 2
Average 633

this is ok considering my UKCAT isnt until the 10th of september, but does anyone find AR on medify fairly difficult? all books i have previously tried have been fine and ive done well but medify is worrying
also find the long questions in VR difficult
Reply 3349
Hi guys im looking for some advice onn medicine courses with a foundation year
I'm going into year 13 doing English language, Biology and Chemistry.
My predicted grades will most likely be
English - a*/a
Biology - a/b
Chemistry - b
( I've also got an A in AS Geography)

Obviously these aren't high enough for medicine and that is the only thing I want to do, so I've been looking into med with foundation years and I do fit the general requirements of having a low house hold income, deprived secondary school, first generation of my family to go into higher education and also had medical problems this year. I know I can achieve A*AA next year but my predicted grades won't be that high.

Will I be able to apply for medicine with the foundation if I get AB B predicted grades, and then if I achieve the standard AAA, not have to do the foundation year? I have relevant work experience so personal statent will be good , ok GCSEs (2a*7a1b) and am sitting ukcat in a couple of weeks but hopefully that goes well.

Never looked into the foundation year before but seems perfect for me, unless I'm missing something.
Has anyone got a medify account i could possibly borrow for a few days?
Original post by saran23

I agree QR was difficult on the website
does anybody have tips on how to tackle VR the multiple choice type 2 comprehensive/statement type questions? it would help me a lot thanks!
Hello guys,
i am still struggling with QR what should i do ? i have my test in two days? although i have practiced alot from medify i dont get good in mocks. what should i do ? please help
Reply 3354
Original post by nisha devi
Hello guys,
i am still struggling with QR what should i do ? i have my test in two days? although i have practiced alot from medify i dont get good in mocks. what should i do ? please help

Hey,
I have my exam in 2 days too, but I don't want to worry...the more you stress the worse you will do on the exam. My favorite tip is to remember to flag...don't waste time on the hard ones as there are plenty of gems with easy marks scattered throughout the test. I hope we both do well.... :smile:
Original post by Fabthelion
does anybody have tips on how to tackle VR the multiple choice type 2 comprehensive/statement type questions? it would help me a lot thanks!

Skip em :wink:

In all seriousness, this is how i do it:
Identify the type of question by taking a look at the passage and the 4 questions.
IF: - T/F/CT - Identify keywords, scan then answer.
- Type 2 Scannable Questions (About a specific topic etc) - Identify Keywords, scan then answer. (To note with these, if the majority of Q (3/4) is scannable, then you should be able to work out the answer to the harder question once all 3 have been completed).
-Type 2 Harder Questions (What does the author think etc.)
- If passage is short and on an understandable topic, read passage carefully intaking all information. I find this helps a lot with these types of question.
- If passage is long/short and on a topic you know nothing about or too wordy - Guess, Flag, Skip, Comeback to it if you have time. Be careful on questions like this, they soak up time.

Don't be afraid to skip questions. Some are much easier than others, and you will naturally get a higher % on the easier ones. Don't waste you time on questions you have no hope in hell of completing.
Original post by HarrisonGCSE
Skip em :wink:

In all seriousness, this is how i do it:
Identify the type of question by taking a look at the passage and the 4 questions.
IF: - T/F/CT - Identify keywords, scan then answer.
- Type 2 Scannable Questions (About a specific topic etc) - Identify Keywords, scan then answer. (To note with these, if the majority of Q (3/4) is scannable, then you should be able to work out the answer to the harder question once all 3 have been completed).
-Type 2 Harder Questions (What does the author think etc.)
- If passage is short and on an understandable topic, read passage carefully intaking all information. I find this helps a lot with these types of question.
- If passage is long/short and on a topic you know nothing about or too wordy - Guess, Flag, Skip, Comeback to it if you have time. Be careful on questions like this, they soak up time.

Don't be afraid to skip questions. Some are much easier than others, and you will naturally get a higher % on the easier ones. Don't waste you time on questions you have no hope in hell of completing.

I have adopted the same technique during my practice runs and it has improved my VR performance significantly :smile:
Original post by Ebro16
Hey,
I have my exam in 2 days too, but I don't want to worry...the more you stress the worse you will do on the exam. My favorite tip is to remember to flag...don't waste time on the hard ones as there are plenty of gems with easy marks scattered throughout the test. I hope we both do well.... :smile:

hey thank you :smile: yes it better to be relaxed.
i just hope it goes well. dont really know wat to practice i have test on tuesday :frown:
god help us :P
Reply 3358
Helllo, I'm quite confused about the booking system. How often is it updated? Right now there is only one space open and I'm not sure if I should rush to take it. Will more appointments be available next month? Thanks!
Hi,
I have exam tomorrow but I didn't practice decision making at all, is it important to do? Please help I am so scare

Quick Reply