The Student Room Group

why does negative*negative=positive?

Scroll to see replies

Basically if you rotate one of the minus' by 90 degrees and add it on top of another minus it equals a plus :smile:

- - = +

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by shohaib712
Basically if you rotate one of the minus' by 90 degrees and add it on top of another minus it equals a plus :smile:

- - = +

Posted from TSR Mobile

ok
Original post by p29
ok

The 90 comes from space.
Reply 23
Original post by ValerieKR
The 90 comes from space.

wow
This thread is painful to read.
Reply 25
Original post by Productivity
This thread is painful to read.

y:frown:
Any complex number can be written in the form re^i(theta), for negative numbers theta = (2n+1)pi (r is the (positive) magnitude of the negative number)
When you multiply two numbers:
re^i(2n+1)pi*se^i(2m+1)pi = rse^i(2n+2m +2)pi = rse^i(2k)pi
e^ik(2pi) = 1
therefore = rs*1 = rs
no negative sign any more

Thanks for clearing that up... lol jk thanks for taking time to explain just a little lost hehe
Reply 27
i sad
Reply 28
Original post by Bernie2016
Thanks for clearing that up... lol jk thanks for taking time to explain just a little lost hehe

Easiest proof you'll find http://www.school-for-champions.com/algebra/product_of_two_negative_numbers.htm#.V8NsBmjRYwg
Original post by p29
yh

Ask the insanely brainy person who came up with this rule because I sure as hell don't understand it.
Because God demands it to be so. Don't question it.
Reply 31
What are your starting axioms?
Reply 32
Original post by RDKGames
Because God demands it to be so. Don't question it.

y :confused:

http://www.confused.com
Reply 33
Original post by Zacken
What are your starting axioms?

idk i think its (2,1) (5,7)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by HamzahPatel
Ask the insanely brainy person who came up with this rule because I sure as hell don't understand it.

where????

How dare you question God! You and the non-believers will burn eternally in the sulphurous pit with Satan the AntiChrist and the False Prophet!
Unless you pray to this arab dude with white skin and blue eyes - then you'll instead go to utopia.
Reply 36
How dare you question God! You and the non-believers will burn eternally in the sulphurous pit with Satan the AntiChrist and the False Prophet!
Unless you pray to this arab dude with white skin and blue eyes - then you'll instead go to utopia.

:frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown:
Do you genuinely not understand why that is?
Reply 38
Original post by RDKGames
Do you genuinely not understand why that is?

i dont understand :frown:
Original post by p29
yh

PS: This analogy will be more easily understood if you're familiar with vectors, but that's not necessary.

If we have two terms multiplied, "a" being the first term and "b" the second term.

So imagine that when "a" is positive, it is represented by the "Right" direction and when it's negative it's represented by the "Left" direction.

For term "b", when it's positive it leaves you in the same direction, and if it's negative it takes you to the opposite direction.

If the two terms are negative, that leaves us with an "a" located at the "left" and a "b" flipping it to the opposite direction which would be "Right" or "Positive".

Quick Reply

Latest