The Student Room Group

Not sure on what to do in university

Scroll to see replies

Original post by umz_rana
Because I live in london and I don't think moving out is an option for me due to loads of factors lol. Its a shame nothing is adding up easily lol.

That's fair enough xx
UCL will be difficult to get into so fingers crossed ^-^
Have you thought about living at home but commuting to Surrey or something? Or even moving out to live in Surrey? They have lower entry grades than UCL and It's not that far from London on the train so it might solve some of the problems you are having xxx
I'm not actually sure which Unis in London offer Chem Eng! Xx
Reply 41
Original post by Thatduck
Well regardless of the course, it's not really worth you're fees to go to a very low ranking university. I struggle to understand why so many people do when the degrees from a lot of places just aren't really respected by employers.
At the end of the day, there's no point studying something you don't enjoy. You're going to gain so much more from a course you enjoy doing. I'm not sure what the ideal solution is but i'd say just do what you enjoy at a decent university and see where it takes you.
(alternatively, speak to a careers advisor!)

Good luck!

Exactly knowing how respected some london unis are I wanted to aim to get to the best uni possible for me. It's just that I have so many questions regarding the courses I want to do. Don't really know where to go to find a careers advisor. Just don't want to rush anything like I did with my a-levels. Just need to find someone that knows a lot about the courses I want to study from there I can cross stuff out.
Reply 42
Original post by Lissy14
That's fair enough xx
UCL will be difficult to get into so fingers crossed ^-^
Have you thought about living at home but commuting to Surrey or something? Or even moving out to live in Surrey? They have lower entry grades than UCL and It's not that far from London on the train so it might solve some of the problems you are having xxx
I'm not actually sure which Unis in London offer Chem Eng! Xx

Yes if I do apply for chem eng I will go for surrey and queen mary definitely. What I was thinking is to go with a chem degree in something like ucl and then try to change to chem eng so technically I will get in with lower requirements if they accept lool.
Reply 43
Original post by Reexox
I completely understand, I felt the same way when I applied. That was originally how I chose chemistry over engineering, maths and physics: lowest entry requirements. I'm interested in them all but I had to be honest with myself and my grades. I only looked around at local unis as I wasn't planning on moving away therefore my pharmacology course browsing wasn't the most thorough. At least if you choose chemistry, if you change your mind in the first couple weeks of uni, your chances of being able to transfer to pharmacology or chem eng will be higher. And chemistry is the broadest subject you can really choose. That's how I based my decision at least.

Exactly thats the thing with a chem degree you can change to a lot. Also my teacher was telling me you can change after a year or two is well.
Exactly knowing how respected some london unis are I wanted to aim to get to the best uni possible for me. It's just that I have so many questions regarding the courses I want to do. Don't really know where to go to find a careers advisor. Just don't want to rush anything like I did with my a-levels. Just need to find someone that knows a lot about the courses I want to study from there I can cross stuff out.

You're college or sixth form will almost certainly have a careers advisor. You could ask to meet them in september?
Reply 45
Original post by Thatduck
You're college or sixth form will almost certainly have a careers advisor. You could ask to meet them in september?

Yh I have him but he's not that good, been to him a few times doesn't really know much on science stuff.
Yes if I do apply for chem eng I will go for surrey and queen mary definitely. What I was thinking is to go with a chem degree in something like ucl and then try to change to chem eng so technically I will get in with lower requirements if they accept lool.

Hahahahaha XD good plan! Might work to be fair!
Since I am in exactly the same position I thought I could post my dilemma here. First of all im really interested in chemistry and I would enjoy taking it as a degree. But I have heard some negative thing about the job prospects. This could me to research around and found out chem engineers 'generally' have better salaries. I don't think I would enjoy it as much as a chemistry degree as it isnt my passion.

However if I do chemical engineering I will have a weaker application as I haven't done physics and wont have anything relevant to talk about. But if I apply to chemistry I have so much to talk about.

Do you thing it would be better to apply at a top, top unis e.g oxford,imperial for a chemistry degree RATHER than apply for a chemical engineering degree with a weaker personal statemnt and face a more likelihood rejection from these same unis?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by ShadowStorm689
Since I am in exactly the same position I thought I could post my dilemma here. First of all im really interested in chemistry and I would enjoy taking it as a degree. But I have heard some negative thing about the job prospects. This could me to research around and found out chem engineers 'generally' have better salaries. I don't think I would enjoy it as much as a chemistry degree as it isnt my passion.

However if I do chemical engineering I will have a weaker application as I haven't done physics and wont have anything relevant to talk about. But if I apply to chemistry I have so much to talk about.

Do you thing it would be better to apply at a top, top unis e.g oxford,imperial for a chemistry degree RATHER than apply for a chemical engineering degree with a weaker personal statemnt and face a more likelihood rejection from these same unis?

Hmm I see yh, I'm not sure how big of a part physics plays in chem eng. If you do further maths that would be quite useful. The thing with me is really confusing its really long to explain. A shortened version would be, a chem eng is highly respected and high chance of getting a job, but London uni requirements are high therefore lower chance of getting into a good uni for me, also I'm not much into chem eng. Pharmacy a total crap time to go for, i enjoy the content but the job seems boring. Pharmacology, biochemistry and other similar stuff I enjoy the content can get into a better uni than for chem eng, but low demand in jobs less pay, less respected and I dont have bio so I might be to an disadvantage. Chem degree not that much into but can change courses if not liked. Law too much info lol. Sorry for the bad English it's long to go over again.
Reply 49
Definitely some form of engineering all the way. It's fulfilling, happy, excellent pay, and beneficial to humanity if you work for the right company.
Reply 50
Original post by JoeyTr
Definitely some form of engineering all the way. It's fulfilling, happy, excellent pay, and beneficial to humanity if you work for the right company.

Yh I'm still considering it. Btw do you know anything about law how is it going at the moment? For example pharmacy is not in a good position.
Reply 51
Yh I'm still considering it. Btw do you know anything about law how is it going at the moment? For example pharmacy is not in a good position.

I can't answer that I'm afraid, haven't got the slightest idea!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending