The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mathemagicien
ah, clever! so x is actually 3, and y is actually minus 1?

so y bother factorising this stuff "(x^2 -7)/(x^2 - x - 2)= (x^2-x-2-5+x)/(x^2-x-2) = 1 + (x-5)/(x^2-x-2)" when u cud just say

(x^2-7)/(x^2 - x - 2) = (2-7)/(2-2-2) = (2-7)/(-2) = (2+7)/(2) = 2/2 + 7/2 = 9/2 = 4 remander 1

lol @ mathmos, not so clever after all is they??

lolololol 4 remainder 1. There's no way I can top your dodgy arithmetic.
Yeah mathmos are dumb, natscis actually can do more maths, but mathmos think they smart cos they know how to show that the sqrt of 2 exists. lol.
impatiently waiting for my uni email so I can sign up for amazon prime :colonhash:
Original post by Mathemagicien
ikr

just look at this fancy "proof"

doesnt it occur to mathmos to use a calcualtor??? mine puts 1+1=2 immediately, without needing a "proof"

Yeah I heard about that, supposedly 1+2=3 is still an open problem. Silly mathmos, if they can't figure out how to use a calculator surely they could use an abacus.
Anyone else *****ing their pants and starting to regret even applying in the first place?
Original post by Serine Soul
Anyone else *****ing their pants and starting to regret even applying in the first place?

I think and hope that that would be natural... if not quite literally

Posted from TSR Mobile
I GOT IN!!!! WITH 5 Es

lol
Original post by TheWebGeek
I GOT IN!!!! WITH 5 Es

lol

Funnily.
I actually had
Unit 5 physics last year E resat to a B
S2 E
S4 E
D1 U
D2 D
Chemistry in exams
U
E
Who cares anyway.
Physics is mad hard uno.
Madness.

Posted from TSR Mobile

marriage blue, Cambridge-version.

:tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 608
Original post by vincrows
Because you usually have to empty your room for holiday at the end of every term and bring back the stuff in a new term, most parent/s have to provide free removal service to their kids 6 times a year. So many parents do have a chance to see what their son/daughter's room is like, probably more than they want to.......

And yes, as @alow said many parents visit their kid during a term, too, and it's ok for them to go in to their room and eat in a college's cafe/bar.
Students can also invite their parents for a dinner/formal (private one. not the ones organized by college/dept/club etc for students/members), too.

If your parents want to stay overnight in a college, they also have a guestroom for visitors which a member of college (like you) can book.

Hello! My son is a fresher this year and I wonder if on the day of the matriculation ceremony , parents participation is allowed or habitual.Thank you in advance!
Original post by aniroc
Hello! My son is a fresher this year and I wonder if on the day of the matriculation ceremony , parents participation is allowed or habitual.Thank you in advance!

Hello to you, too. :smile:
Congratulations for your son.

No, I'm afraid. It's only for students.
It's a sort of ritual to admit them as a formal member of the college, so only members of the college can attend. No outsiders.
You drop your son/daughter and their belongings at the college on a day you're told to drop them (usually the weekend before the freshers week starts, unless you're an international, in which case they're advised to arrive a few days/a week earlier), and you say good bye to them.
Some parents stay a few hours with them and a cafe is open for them to have some refreshment and light meal, snack. But that's it.

A student can invite up to 3 guests, including their parents, for their graduation, though. :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by aniroc

To be fair, 'ceremony' is bigging it up rather. Each College does their own thing, but in very few is there any grandeur other than wearing a gown. In most its purely administrative - you sit through a series of lectures which are basically all titled either Behave! or Work Hard! and during them, a clipboard is passed round which you sign, and lo you have matriculated. There is usually a meal afterwards, but it's pretty much the same as any other meal.
Original post by threeportdrift
To be fair, 'ceremony' is bigging it up rather. Each College does their own thing, but in very few is there any grandeur other than wearing a gown. In most its purely administrative - you sit through a series of lectures which are basically all titled either Behave! or Work Hard! and during them, a clipboard is passed round which you sign, and lo you have matriculated. There is usually a meal afterwards, but it's pretty much the same as any other meal.

And the group photo :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by threeportdrift

Lol exactly. :biggrin:

Though a meal' afterwards at my daughter's college was not the same as any other meal, I think.
It was a proper 'formal' fare, and perhaps better than some of their other formals.
So either your college was a bit mean in their matriculation dinner or you're fed lavishingly regularly even at your daily meal. :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 613
Original post by vincrows
Hello to you, too. :smile:
Congratulations for your son.

No, I'm afraid. It's only for students.
It's a sort of ritual to admit them as a formal member of the college, so only members of the college can attend. No outsiders.
You drop your son/daughter and their belongings at the college on a day you're told to drop them (usually the weekend before the freshers week starts, unless you're an international, in which case they're advised to arrive a few days/a week earlier), and you say good bye to them.
Some parents stay a few hours with them and a cafe is open for them to have some refreshment and light meal, snack. But that's it.

A student can invite up to 3 guests, including their parents, for their graduation, though. :wink:

Thank you very much! I know now how to plan everything!
Original post by aniroc
Thank you very much! I know now how to plan everything!

You're most welcome. :smile:

You won't be invited to their matriculation, but you'll still gain a skill that's a parent for any other uni cannot get = Becoming a 3-D jigsaw puzzle expert by loading/unloading your car 2 x 3 terms x 3/4 years. :tongue:,
(edited 7 years ago)

but why though
Original post by EricPiphany
but why though

Coz lim jeck is so good we all fail.

Posted from TSR Mobile
but why though

Posted from TSR Mobile
but why though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you implying that if you would've gone elsewhere you would succeed?
who is dis guy if he so good why he no proffesor

Quick Reply

Latest