The Student Room Group

Retaking Maths on November?

My third topic I've made so far. I've pretty much said, I revised my ass off for maths yet the out come was heartbreaking. I was 5 marks of a bloody C.

I was planning to just ditch Maths and carry on with my vocational course in college and hope to get a job. But my college is going to give me another chance to pass my GCSEs.

So what do you guys think the grade boundaries will be in November, do you think it would be higher or lower? And do you guys think that I should get my papers remarked? As Ofqual have changed the services.

Scroll to see replies

if you get your paper remarked it's probably not going to change by a lot, maybe one or two marks? as the markscheme is very clear on where marks should be awarded, your best bet would be to talk to your teachers and your exams officer and see if it actually is worth a remark, otherwise a resit is probably a good idea as you were very close! Good luck with whatever you decide :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by katierthompson
if you get your paper remarked it's probably not going to change by a lot, maybe one or two marks? as the markscheme is very clear on where marks should be awarded, your best bet would be to talk to your teachers and your exams officer and see if it actually is worth a remark, otherwise a resit is probably a good idea as you were very close! Good luck with whatever you decide :smile:

I guess I could ring my college up. But I'm unsure about how the November grade boundaries will be like. I'm not sure if it's worth it :frown:.
Original post by imzeman
I guess I could ring my college up. But I'm unsure about how the November grade boundaries will be like. I'm not sure if it's worth it :frown:.

I would get it remarked, you never know they might have completely messed it up.
I hope they did the same for mine.
Reply 4
Original post by OtakuFreak
I would get it remarked, you never know they might have completely messed it up.
I hope they did the same for mine.

Woah, a-lot of people on this side of the forums are devastated. My mother understands my failure yet my father doesn't. How many marks were u off?
Reply 5
I am in the same boat i feel like my life is over
Reply 6
Original post by k man
I am in the same boat i feel like my life is over

:\ I think it's because of the sky high grade boundaries that AQA put up this year. 62 for a C? Come on.. I though I failed English but Passed Maths however it went the other way. I can get into my course no problem, but I'm worried if I don't get a C this year, will I be able to get a job in the future? :\ I don't want to be left unemployed.
Original post by imzeman
Woah, a-lot of people on this side of the forums are devastated. My mother understands my failure yet my father doesn't. How many marks were u off?

My School only told me the grade, and not the score. Which I need to go in tomorrow for. I really ****ing pray I'm 1-2 away so I have a chance of getting a 'C' if it's remarked.
Original post by imzeman
:\ I think it's because of the sky high grade boundaries that AQA put up this year. 62 for a C? Come on.. I though I failed English but Passed Maths however it went the other way. I can get into my course no problem, but I'm worried if I don't get a C this year, will I be able to get a job in the future? :\ I don't want to be left unemployed.

Do you know how much you needed for a Grade C in Foundation?
I heard 144/200.
I got D but with OCR exam board. I put in so much effort in it and stayed late after school to do revision, so annoyed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by bikiniikilll
I got D but with OCR exam board. I put in so much effort in it and stayed late after school to do revision, so annoyed

Posted from TSR Mobile

Looks like everyone in this thread is on the same boat. Many people failed at my college because of the high grade boundary AQA put for the Maths exam. I'm guessing its the same with Edexcel. If I don't get a C on November. I am DOOMED. I will struggle to get a job.
Winners are too busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful and too determined to be defeated.

You can do it.

Revise now for November
Reply 12
Original post by Blackstarr
Winners are too busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful and too determined to be defeated.

You can do it.

Revise now for November

College is letting me retake again. i'm worried about what if the grade boundaries in November are going to be as high as they were this August. I'm hoping that AQA atleast tries to be generous this time since it's the lest specification. If I end up failing because of the grade boundaries, then I'm literally screwed after I finish my college course because no one will take me without me having a C grade in Maths. And I'm not actually playing around with that one.
Original post by imzeman
College is letting me retake again. i'm worried about what if the grade boundaries in November are going to be as high as they were this August. I'm hoping that AQA atleast tries to be generous this time since it's the lest specification. If I end up failing because of the grade boundaries, then I'm literally screwed after I finish my college course because no one will take me without me having a C grade in Maths. And I'm not actually playing around with that one.

Nobody knows what the grade boundaries will be in November. They are set objectively following a careful analysis of results to maintain standards over time, they are not set to be generous or harsh. There will be a second resit opportunity in summer 2017 using the current specification. If you still need to you would be able to sit the new GCSE specification thereafter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by gdunne42
Nobody knows what the grade boundaries will be in November. They are set objectively following a careful analysis of results to maintain standards over time, they are not set to be generous or harsh. There will be a second resit opportunity in summer 2017 using the current specification. If you still need to you would be able to sit the new GCSE specification thereafter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, literally all my maths teachers have told me, it's a 60 to pass and I was cool with it. But now I seen it was 62 this year, it really fking scares me. If I do fail this year I hope the grade boundary for next spec will be slight lower.
Original post by Blackstarr

You can do it.

Revise now for November

Oh yeah, because after 5/6 month's of revision, I'm so dedicated to do it all again, just for the same outcome!
Reply 16
Oh yeah, because after 5/6 month's of revision, I'm so dedicated to do it all again, just for the same outcome!

Exactly how I feel man :\ . I went through all of that so I wouldn't have to come across this again. Yet the system decided the grade boundaries go from 56 to 62. Normally it goes up or down by 1 marks.
Original post by imzeman
Exactly how I feel man :\ . I went through all of that so I wouldn't have to come across this again. Yet the system decided the grade boundaries go from 56 to 62. Normally it goes up or down by 1 marks.

Apparently the exam board felt so gracious this year they made the grade boundaries at a level where even Mount Everest is a little *****.
Reply 18
Apparently the exam board felt so gracious this year they made the grade boundaries at a level where even Mount Everest is a little *****.

Well November is around the corner, you can try one last time. I'll be retaking it. I hope the grade boundary for a C will be lower in January. If not my life if literally screwed because of the harsh exam boards. I gotta hope my employee wont ask for my GCSE's when I apply for a job after my vocational course. The government really do like ****ing teenagers lives up.
I'm going college and as you know above ^ got to retake maths in November. If I'm retaking maths in college, won't they have different exam board and learn something completely different from GCSE maths? I'm so confused on what to revise?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest