The Student Room Group

Debunking "Ethnic minorities face 'entrenched' racial inequality"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Maker
Where is your proof?

I outlined it above.

Of course it does not constitute "proof" as such, but it is more than enough in order for you to now having to come up with a more reasonable argument if you disagree.
Reply 21
Original post by inhuman
I outlined it above.

Of course it does not constitute "proof" as such, but it is more than enough in order for you to now having to come up with a more reasonable argument if you disagree.

No proof so I can disregard it. Its not up to me to do your work for you.
Reply 22
Original post by Maker
No proof so I can disregard it. Its not up to me to do your work for you.

I gave a very plausible line of reasoning why the whole approach to racial inequality is complete bs.

I never saw your proof for why it is accurate. So I guess I can disregard all of your useless posts, too.

Works for me.
Original post by Maker
So you are saying if 3 graduates, one black, one white Asian all got the same grade in the same subject from similar universities, they should all have the same potential for earning the same wages?

Three graduates who all possess the same qualifications should have an equal chance of getting the same job if they're applying for the same position. If, however, the black or Asian candidate doesn't receive a job even though they have the same qualifications then maybe then we can begin to question systemic racism. However, you have know proof to prove any sort of conspiracy here in Britain and therefore you shouldn't blame the inequalities on institutional racism when there's no evidence to suggest it.
Reply 24
Original post by inhuman
I gave a very plausible line of reasoning why the whole approach to racial inequality is complete bs.

I never saw your proof for why it is accurate. So I guess I can disregard all of your useless posts, too.

Works for me.

You seem to be satisfied with simple things..
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by JohnGreek
It would be nice if you started holding yourself to the same standards as you hold others.

I am not the one claiming to debunk anything. The people who claim to have evidence to debunk it have not provided anything that would support their assertion.

You seem to be confused as to the roles of the people who claim something and those who oppose them. Please look up the scientific method before you post again.
Reply 26
Original post by jake4198
Three graduates who all possess the same qualifications should have an equal chance of getting the same job if they're applying for the same position. If, however, the black or Asian candidate doesn't receive a job even though they have the same qualifications then maybe then we can begin to question systemic racism. However, you have know proof to prove any sort of conspiracy here in Britain and therefore you shouldn't blame the inequalities on institutional racism when there's no evidence to suggest it.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2009/oct/18/racism-discrimination-employment-undercover
Reply 27
Original post by Maker
You seem to be satisfied with simple things..

I am.

Which means I will not engage with trolls :smile: Which you are, as someone else also pointed out, you don't hold yourself accountable to the same standards and instead reply with what you think are insults. I will not waste my time with arrogant muppets.

You're trying to make parallels which don't exist, especially when you have ignored cogent evidence I provided in my original post to a proclaim an unfounded adherence to the victim narrative.

Yes, there is a prejudicial bias which exists in many aspects of Britain's employment sectors, but if we want to tackle premature bias then perhaps we should look at banning name, ethnicity and gender on applications for employment so interviewers have the opportunity to meet that person as oppose to precluding a person's person without meeting them.

However, the racial discrimination which exists does not mitigate or nullify the underperformance of black students in an academic environment. In the US for instance, Asians are the highest earners because they are also the highest achievers. Blacks, however, are the lowest earners because they are the lowest achievers. Not once in my original argument did I dismiss the existence of racism, however to proclaim that racial disparities in employment is a result of institutional racism does not correlate with systemic evidence with regard to academic attainment.
Reply 29
Original post by inhuman
I am.

Which means I will not engage with trolls :smile: Which you are, as someone else also pointed out, you don't hold yourself accountable to the same standards and instead reply with what you think are insults. I will not waste my time with arrogant muppets.

I don't need to prove anything, its those doing the debunking that have to provide the proof, if you can't understand that, you should not be on this thread.
Reply 30
You're trying to make parallels which don't exist, especially when you have ignored cogent evidence I provided in my original post to a proclaim an unfounded adherence to the victim narrative.

Yes, there is a prejudicial bias which exists in many aspects of Britain's employment sectors, but if we want to tackle premature bias then perhaps we should look at banning name, ethnicity and gender on applications for employment so interviewers have the opportunity to meet that person as oppose to precluding a person's person without meeting them.

However, the racial discrimination which exists does not mitigate or nullify the underperformance of black students in an academic environment. In the US for instance, Asians are the highest earners because they are also the highest achievers. Blacks, however, are the lowest earners because they are the lowest achievers. Not once in my original argument did I dismiss the existence of racism, however to proclaim that racial disparities in employment is a result of institutional racism does not correlate with systemic evidence with regard to academic attainment.

You seemed to have debunked yourself. Thanks

Why are the people who always talk about how great and wonderful Asians are doing are never Asians themselves ?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Maker
You seemed to have debunked yourself. Thanks

No, I haven't. I didn't once say racism didn't exist, however I did say that racism wasn't the most pertinent factor contributing to the inhibition of black prosperity.

Stop being so immature.
Reply 33
Original post by Maker
I don't need to prove anything, its those doing the debunking that have to provide the proof, if you can't understand that, you should not be on this thread.

If the original argument in the article didn't prove anything, then one does not need a "proof" to debunk it, just point out flaws in the logic/argumentation.

If you can't understand, you really are nowhere near as smart as you think.
Reply 34
No, I haven't. I didn't once say racism didn't exist, however I did say that racism wasn't the most pertinent factor contributing to the inhibition of black prosperity.

Stop being so immature.

What do you think racism is if not discriminating against people in all spheres of life? Why do you think work is different from all other areas where discrimination occurs? Again, where is your proof?
Original post by Maker
What do you think racism is if not discriminating against people in all spheres of life? Why do you think work is different from all other areas where discrimination occurs? Again, where is your proof?

Where did I question the definition racism? Where did I say racism doesn't exist? Again, there is a direct link between academic attainment and future career earnings. There hasn't been extensive research into the topic here in the UK, but in the US, Asians are the most prosperous race group because of their academic performance at university and in their SATs.
Reply 36
Original post by JohnGreek
In the exact same way, you haven't backed up your statement that the only reason why minorities face lower salaries is because they face discrimination at work. You don't seem to have an adequate understanding of the burden of proof either. But thanks for amusing me with your contrarianism, it does make this thread more interesting to read.

An example of racial prejudice, you make it so easy.
But racism is very hard to prove.

Why ?

1) White people control the truth

Less than 22% of the world is white.

Less than 11% of the world is white and male.

Less than 2.3% of the world is white, male and speaks English.

Yet they run the BBC, CNN, the New York Times, Harvard, Oxford and Cambridge. They write most of the Hollywood films and Wikipedia articles. They own twitter, face-book. They own TSR. English-speaking white men own and run nearly all the main bits of the Vast Talking Machine.

So therefore the white POV is often taken as the truth is very difficult to question it.

2) Their minds are bought and paid for.

Whites benefit from racism. This causes them to turn a blind eye.

3) Prejudice is not logical.

That makes it hard to disprove, logically. It can be confirmed by facts (one black robber) but never disproved (a hundred black people who do not rob).

It works in a part of the brain that deals with feeling, not thought. So:

3) Racism is proved personally. Not intellectually

Most people believe in racism not because they read it in a book, or read some data or survey but because they experienced it first-hand. For blacks the experience is direct. For whites, it comes through seeing family, friends or lovers subjected to racism but even then they might still discount it for one or more of the reasons above.
Original post by PrincePaul4
Why are the people who always talk about how great and wonderful Asians are doing are never Asians themselves ?

I don't care about Asians as a people, but rather their success in gaining access to the middle class as a result of their admirable work ethic.

Allow me to show you the correlation:

Here is the average SAT results (the US's equivalent of A levels) by ethnicity in the United States:

SAT.PNG

As you can see, black Americans are the lowest performing group out of all the US's main demographic profiles.

So, how does the correlate at university?

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/eliteenrollment-large.jpg

As you can see, Asian and white students are much more likely to attend an Ivy League university than their black (and Hispanic) counterpart(s) because they do better in their SATs.

And herein you get the differential in pay:

http://static6.businessinsider.com/image/4f3d4337eab8eaef54000042/newlyweds-race-earnings-pew.gif
Original post by PrincePaul4
But racism is very hard to prove.

Why ?

1) White people control the truth

Less than 22% of the world is white.

Less than 11% of the world is white and male.

Less than 2.3% of the world is white, male and speaks English.

Yet they run the BBC, CNN, the New York Times, Harvard, Oxford and Cambridge. They write most of the Hollywood films and Wikipedia articles. They own twitter, face-book. They own TSR. English-speaking white men own and run nearly all the main bits of the Vast Talking Machine.

So therefore the white POV is often taken as the truth is very difficult to question it.

2) Their minds are bought and paid for.

Whites benefit from racism. This causes them to turn a blind eye.

3) Prejudice is not logical.

That makes it hard to disprove, logically. It can be confirmed by facts (one black robber) but never disproved (a hundred black people who do not rob).

It works in a part of the brain that deals with feeling, not thought. So:

3) Racism is proved personally. Not intellectually

Most people believe in racism not because they read it in a book, or read some data or survey but because they experienced it first-hand. For blacks the experience is direct. For whites, it comes through seeing family, friends or lovers subjected to racism but even then they might still discount it for one or more of the reasons above.

1) Maybe whites are more likely to run the BBC, CNN and other corporations you listed because they were formed and created in white majority countries.

2) This is a generalisation, and funnily enough, racism. Benign racism is still racism.

3) Prejudice mightn't be justified, but it's most certainly not illogical. Black men commit over 50% of all violent crimes in the capital, even though they account for 13% of London's overall population. In the US, black men are responsible for over 50% of the country's murders even though they account for 13% of the country's population as well. Of course, that doesn't mean we should judge all black people because of the actions of others', but it does explain why the prejudice exists.

4) I don't disagree with this point. Racism is hard to prove. And where it exists, we should denounce it unequivocally. However, we cannot just blame everything on racism. It doesn't help anything or anyone. Racism does exist - and it's disgraceful. However, to proclaim it's the most pertinent factor inhibiting black people is an unfounded falsity and doesn't stand up to systemic evidence. If racism did exist in the US for instance, then explain how Asian and Hispanic Americans are doing so well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending