The Student Room Group

Which russell group do not mind resitting in a gap year?

I'm going to be taking a gap year and will be resitting about 6 exams. 4 of them were not bad but I would like to improve on it and 2 of them were not so ok.
I was really close to the next grade but I would like to hit an A/A* if possible. My main reason though to take a gap year is to save up money so I will have no financial problems. I am researching a lot of unis but it would be nice to find out more unis who are fine with resitting in a gap year. I want to take computer science if that helps.
I'm retaking:
Core 3 - A
Core 4 - B
FP2 - C
FP3 - B
D1 - D
Comp 3 - D

Scroll to see replies

wouldn't bother resitting C3 or C4, i'm assuming you're close to an A so resit an AS module instead - unless you really badly need that A*.

most wouldn't mind but it'd be a bigger problem with the top 5 (oxbridge, UCL, durham, imperial etc.)

i took a gap year to resit a bunch of modules and still got an offer from UCL (which i ended up turning down) so it's entirely possible - focus on your PS and try getting good predicted grades
Reply 2
Original post by crazyy
I'm going to be taking a gap year and will be resitting about 6 exams. 4 of them were not bad but I would like to improve on it and 2 of them were not so ok.
I was really close to the next grade but I would like to hit an A/A* if possible. My main reason though to take a gap year is to save up money so I will have no financial problems. I am researching a lot of unis but it would be nice to find out more unis who are fine with resitting in a gap year. I want to take computer science if that helps.
I'm retaking:
Core 3 - A
Core 4 - B
FP2 - C
FP3 - B
D1 - D
Comp 3 - D

Heya! I re sat year 12 and i found that basically no uni minds for CS (thats what i want to do too) Oxbridge might be out tho as well as Warwick. Other than that you should be okay. If worried, call the uni up and ask them if you have a specific one in mind :smile: Hope this helped
I had to resit my AS year, starting from scratch (Chem/Bio/Phys). DEU the first time, AAB the second, got me an offer for molecular biology at Bristol (where I am now).
Original post by Humza Ali
wouldn't bother resitting C3 or C4, i'm assuming you're close to an A so resit an AS module instead - unless you really badly need that A*.

most wouldn't mind but it'd be a bigger problem with the top 5 (oxbridge, UCL, durham, imperial etc.)

i took a gap year to resit a bunch of modules and still got an offer from UCL (which i ended up turning down) so it's entirely possible - focus on your PS and try getting good predicted grades

Thank you for your answer. Thankfully I managed to get the A in maths but I would really like an A* as I would like to apply for imperial. Also I would like to try getting an A* in further maths (in fact all of my A levels) and am tempted to retake my S2 module which i got a really high B on. However I feel like retaking 7 modules will look unimpressive to Russell group unis and especially to Imperial.
Original post by Samonia
Heya! I re sat year 12 and i found that basically no uni minds for CS (thats what i want to do too) Oxbridge might be out tho as well as Warwick. Other than that you should be okay. If worried, call the uni up and ask them if you have a specific one in mind :smile: Hope this helped

Warwick don't care about resits in CS.
Original post by Samonia

I resat a bunch of AS modules in year 13 and got an ABC (REALLY CLOSE TO AAB :'( ) however I'm now taking a gap year to resit some modules. Would your answer still apply to me?
Original post by spleenharvester
I had to resit my AS year, starting from scratch (Chem/Bio/Phys). DEU the first time, AAB the second, got me an offer for molecular biology at Bristol (where I am now).

Congratulations! I had an offer from Bristol but I ended up taking a gap year. Enjoy your time there :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Humza Ali

Think it might be to late for OP to resit any AS exams now as they would have had to be done this year with A2, can only do the A2 ones now. This is what my teacher told me and it makes sense otherwise people would get 2 chances at AS.
So yeah i would just resit the A2 ones OP, and very few apart from the top 5 will mind!
Original post by crazyy
Thank you for your answer. Thankfully I managed to get the A in maths but I would really like an A* as I would like to apply for imperial. Also I would like to try getting an A* in further maths (in fact all of my A levels) and am tempted to retake my S2 module which i got a really high B on. However I feel like retaking 7 modules will look unimpressive to Russell group unis and especially to Imperial.

Imperial is extremely difficult to get into and is heavily oversubscribed. The people applying there don't usually need resits and I fear you may be setting yourself up for a rejection. For most other universities it shouldn't cause a problem
Original post by alexp98
Think it might be to late for OP to resit any AS exams now as they would have had to be done this year with A2, can only do the A2 ones now. This is what my teacher told me and it makes sense otherwise people would get 2 chances at AS.
So yeah i would just resit the A2 ones OP, and very few apart from the top 5 will mind!

I assume a lot of us have done d1/m1/s1 in our A2 year and one other in our AS year. Surely we could resit it? Also the edexcel june 2017 has all AS exams in its list for people to retake.
Original post by crazyy
Congratulations! I had an offer from Bristol but I ended up taking a gap year. Enjoy your time there :biggrin:

Hey, same's the case with me!
Original post by crazyy
I assume a lot of us have done d1/m1/s1 in our A2 year and one other in our AS year. Surely we could resit it? Also the edexcel june 2017 has all AS exams in its list for people to retake.

Best to check with teachers or exam officer at your school pal! It's just I know my teacher said for the average student who finished their A2s, you can only resit your A2s. Does make sense otherwise it would be easy for people to inflate their grades having two attempts at AS exams. But yeah, might depend on the situation
Just wondering what you will be doing in your gap year other than resits? Or are you going back to sixth form to go in the lessons etc? I'm pretty much going to be on a forced gap year this year I think and need to work out a plan myself :s
i been trying to apply to small companies in my area but they don't offer work experience.
idk wat im doing in my gap year either lol
wat do u plan to do?
Original post by itsConnor_
Just wondering what you will be doing in your gap year other than resits? Or are you going back to sixth form to go in the lessons etc? I'm pretty much going to be on a forced gap year this year I think and need to work out a plan myself :s

Original post by ronaldo222
i been trying to apply to small companies in my area but they don't offer work experience.idk wat im doing in my gap year either lolwat do u plan to do?

I have a part time job to save up money, I'm also reading 3 books, doing programming project, learning java and c++ and I'm going badminton club every week. I may also volunteer for an oxfam store. There's a lot people can do even if they haven't applied for a placement or work experience.
Original post by ronaldo222
i been trying to apply to small companies in my area but they don't offer work experience.
idk wat im doing in my gap year either lol
wat do u plan to do?

Just wondering why you're taking a gap year? :smile:

Original post by crazyy
I have a part time job to save up money, I'm also reading 3 books, doing programming project, learning java and c++ and I'm going badminton club every week. I may also volunteer for an oxfam store. There's a lot people can do even if they haven't applied for a placement or work experience.

Definitely.
Original post by crazyy
Definitely.

Where are you applying and for what?

Retake to get better grades and better uni

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending