The Student Room Group

The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2017!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dlaiden
Hey all - I've been lucky enough to already secure a TC for 2019 at Clifford Chance, but I'll hang around this thread to share my experiences of interviewing successfully at CC, Slaughter and May and Pinsent Masons + try to answer general app questions. The 2016 thread was super useful to me so I'll try my best to help people where I can - just quote me!

Congrats again on the TC!! Was it from the Vacation scheme or a direct TC application? Just wondering what type of work experience and extra circulars did you have when you applied?

What was your experience with the assessment day (probably dreading that the most with a non law background)?
Original post by kendr lawson
Congrats again on the TC!! Was it from the Vacation scheme or a direct TC application? Just wondering what type of work experience and extra circulars did you have when you applied?

What was your experience with the assessment day (probably dreading that the most with a non law background)?

It was off the back of a vacation scheme. :h: I had no legal work experience prior to applying for vac schemes, no experience in an office either - most of the work I had done was volunteering + mentoring for access schemes and initiatives. My extra curriculars were similar apart from a role as the editor in chief for a university publication. To demonstrate a legal interest I went to a few open days and went to as many law firm presentations as I could hosted by firms at my uni, and I also talked to a lot of trainees. It's not specifically about what work you've done but more about the skills you've gained across any work experience and extracurriculars and how those skills could pertain to law.

I'm also a non-law student (studying English) so I was a bit concerned about the challenge of the assessment day, but I enjoyed it tbh and you don't need specific legal knowledge, only general commercial awareness of law firms as a business. You may or may not know this but it's split into a competency interview (the big question here for you would be 'why law' as a non-law student, and you need a solid answer) and a case study interview. A lot of people found the case study pretty difficult, but it's a matter of thinking through the information given to you as logically as possible - if y is the case, does it make sense for us to continue to represent x client?
Original post by dlaiden
It was off the back of a vacation scheme. :h: I had no legal work experience prior to applying for vac schemes, no experience in an office either - most of the work I had done was volunteering + mentoring for access schemes and initiatives. My extra curriculars were similar apart from a role as the editor in chief for a university publication. To demonstrate a legal interest I went to a few open days and went to as many law firm presentations as I could hosted by firms at my uni, and I also talked to a lot of trainees. It's not specifically about what work you've done but more about the skills you've gained across any work experience and extracurriculars and how those skills could pertain to law.

I'm also a non-law student (studying English) so I was a bit concerned about the challenge of the assessment day, but I enjoyed it tbh and you don't need specific legal knowledge, only general commercial awareness of law firms as a business. You may or may not know this but it's split into a competency interview (the big question here for you would be 'why law' as a non-law student, and you need a solid answer) and a case study interview. A lot of people found the case study pretty difficult, but it's a matter of thinking through the information given to you as logically as possible - if y is the case, does it make sense for us to continue to represent x client?

Congrats on your TC :h: I'm just wondering, as a non-law student, how did you approach the "why a legal career" kind of questions? I always feel like my answer to that question is a bit general and unconvincing and more to do with why I would be suited to a career in law. I don't really know what kind of responses most firms are looking for.
Reply 23
Much like Dlaiden and Conzy. I found the previous year's thread incredibly useful and have equally attained a TC at NRF, having competed vac schemes at Skadden, NRF, Macfarlanes and Jones Day.

As the aforementioned have said I would be happy to answer any firm questions, app questions or questions regarding general interview stuff.

The best advice I can give is: get your applications off early, tailor them, network during any presentation events on campus and finally, spell check the hell out of your applications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by iano101
Much like Dlaiden and Conzy. I found the previous year's thread incredibly useful and have equally attained a TC at NRF, having competed vac schemes at Skadden, NRF, Macfarlanes and Jones Day.

As the aforementioned have said I would be happy to answer any firm questions, app questions or questions regarding general interview stuff.

The best advice I can give is: get your applications off early, tailor them, network during any presentation events on campus and finally, spell check the hell out of your applications.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey!

For your Jones day cover letter, did you structure it as why commercial law, why Jones day and then why you?

Thanks in advance and congrats on your offer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by grisham
Hey!

For your Jones day cover letter, did you structure it as why commercial law, why Jones day and then why you?

Thanks in advance and congrats on your offer!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey,

Yeah I started with why me, then did why commercial law, why Jones day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by iano101
Hey,

Yeah I started with why me, then did why commercial law, why Jones day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! How early did you apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by grisham
Thanks! How early did you apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile

End of September/Early October from recollection.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by iano101
End of September/Early October from recollection.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah right, thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Determined to get a vacation scheme this winter. However, I am slightly concerned about balancing this will full-time employment (albeit in the legal sector). Would I be disadvantaged if I did a week, rather than a two-week, vacation scheme?
Original post by hodgey111
Determined to get a vacation scheme this winter. However, I am slightly concerned about balancing this will full-time employment (albeit in the legal sector). Would I be disadvantaged if I did a week, rather than a two-week, vacation scheme?

Do you mean if you apply for vacation schemes that are only one week long and are disadvantaged when applying to other firms? Or do you mean applying for a 2 week vac scheme but asking if you can only do 1 week and are disadvantaged with that firm?
Original post by MrLintonJones
Do you mean if you apply for vacation schemes that are only one week long and are disadvantaged when applying to other firms? Or do you mean applying for a 2 week vac scheme but asking if you can only do 1 week and are disadvantaged with that firm?

The latter. I think in that scenario I would probably opt to leave my full-time employment to experience the entirety of the vacation scheme as they are a great means by which I could secure a training contract.
The latter. I think in that scenario I would probably opt to leave my full-time employment to experience the entirety of the vacation scheme as they are a great means by which I could secure a training contract.

I agree
How are people choosing which firms to apply to? Do people take into consideration the financial health of a firm? I won't name any names but obviously certain firms aren't doing too well financially at the moment, would that put you off applying?
Reply 34

I have heard of people doing just the one week of a two week scheme and still ending up with a TC.
Original post by Renee8100
Congrats on your TC :h: I'm just wondering, as a non-law student, how did you approach the "why a legal career" kind of questions? I always feel like my answer to that question is a bit general and unconvincing and more to do with why I would be suited to a career in law. I don't really know what kind of responses most firms are looking for.

Well, I had two different approaches to this question which I think both worked to varying degrees of success.

During my vac scheme interview at CC, I approached it by saying that I had considered several different career options (e.g. consulting, banking) but that I felt law best reflected the aspects of my degree I liked. The CC interviews (at least for the vac scheme) you're ranked out of 5 for certain things, motivation for law being a big one, and I got 3/5 for that question because my answer apparently reflected to the partner that I while I was well-rounded enough to do multiple things, law was just another option instead of the thing I was passionate about. It was because I talked about other careers that they seemed to think this (which is definitely not necessarily universal).

So in my conversion interview, I skipped talking about other careers and went straight for the connection to my degree skills, my interest in particular aspects of law and how 'concrete' legal work was compared to my English degree. I felt that this answer was received a lot better than the first was. Generally, you'll want to express clearly why law and not something like consulting/accounting attracts you, and I think bringing in the skills useful from your degree may be helpful too. You'll also likely have some specific draw which you can discuss to a greater extent - practice writing it down or explaining it to yourself until it's something you can articulate clearly in a conversation.
Original post by MrLintonJones
How are people choosing which firms to apply to? Do people take into consideration the financial health of a firm? I won't name any names but obviously certain firms aren't doing too well financially at the moment, would that put you off applying?

Yes. There's a certain firm which merged in the last few years that I really wanted to get into... But alas, I don't really think I like what's going on there. So now I've just moved it further down my list of priorities.
Seems to be a lot of people applying to pwc legal! I'm unsure of which firms, i know I'm def applying to shearmans, and Herbert smiths but not fully set on any others yet! I'm going into my third year doing history at Bristol, and spent most of this summer doing work experience, did quite a bit of inhouse does anyone have any tips for getting a vac scheme?
I was considering applying to some winter and spring ones- or is it better to just apply for the summer ones?
(edited 7 years ago)
i want to try and get an application off early doors for Jones Day and Pwc Legal
Hi everyone, I'll be a regular poster on this thread too. Most of my apps will be to regional offices of firms bar two or three City ones.

Quick question on the PwC grad website I cannot see the vacation scheme vacancy, just wondering if anyone else has had this issue?

Thanks & Good Luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending