The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by studentsixth
Edinburgh: 720-730

Kings: 690+ (usually)

And typically, what scores do Southampton and Newcastle look for?
Original post by sm54
Helllo, I'm quite confused about the booking system. How often is it updated? Right now there is only one space open and I'm not sure if I should rush to take it. Will more appointments be available next month? Thanks!

If you haven't booked your ukcat yet then book it! The dates will be the same next month. You should have booked your ukcat a few months ago to guarantee a good slot. If there is one slot left. Then there is one slot left no more dates will be released unless someone cancels

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mariamjaan
Hi,
I have exam tomorrow but I didn't practice decision making at all, is it important to do? Please help I am so scare

Nobody has revised DM. It's pointless isn't scored. Most people seem to go to the toilet and prepare for QR. It's nothing to worry about

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by deathbeforeimmortality
OMG well done!! Glad to see you've done well.

Thank you!! Hows your prep going? You seem to have it in the bag :smile: I hope this is the year for us! :smile:
Let me know if you need any advice or anything, you helped me out so much last year, its the least i can do! xx*
In the test is the whiteboard you are given erasable??? Also what size is the pen??
Screenshot_5.png
Hi, silly question but can you just assume recorded = there definitely wasn't any? How do we know for certain?
What band in Situational judgement is considered as good by medical schools, is 2 okay?
Original post by Ruchdapooch
What band in Situational judgement is considered as good by medical schools, is 2 okay?

Yeah quite a few unis don't use it that extensively
Original post by Jitesh
Screenshot_5.png
Hi, silly question but can you just assume recorded = there definitely wasn't any? How do we know for certain?

I would have put cant tell too; surely the fact that none were recorded does not mean there were not any for sure? It could just mean they were not seen? Don't think the answers quite right idk. Where is that question from?
Reply 3369
Hi guys,
I was wondering what kind of strategies you all adopt for QR? I'm struggling with the timings and keep panicking.
Original post by isabella1999
I would have put cant tell too; surely the fact that none were recorded does not mean there were not any for sure? It could just mean they were not seen? Don't think the answers quite right idk. Where is that question from?

It's Kaplan. I've noticed many things like that in their practice mocks, and I'm unsure if the UKCAT is like how Kaplan make it out to be or how I think it would be...

Whenever I point out little things like this, Kaplan will do their utter best to defend their answers lol
(edited 7 years ago)
For students that have done Kaplan or any other courses with tuition included, would you say it was worth it. What did you you feel you got out of it that you wouldn't have by just studying yourself?
I'm considering it for next year (need all the help I can get, can manage straight As at uni and yet flunk this bloody test!) but as an independent student, it's a big outlay. I'd be willing to pay it if it was worth it.
Appreciate any feedback on this 😊
Just done two mocks on medify:

Mock 1: 625
Mock 2: 600

I really hope to do a lot better in the real exam but this is on thursday, I'm a little gutted with these scores :/
Reply 3373
How is the VR and AR in the real thing. Do you get lots of long passages?

It depends on the medical school generally. Band 2 is almost definitely good enough to get you an interview, as long as you have scored well in the other sections.
A quick question for ppl who have already sat the exam...

1) Can you zoom in (I.e. Cntrl + +/-)?
2) Can you highlight the text (E.g. Drag your cursor whilst left clicking)?
Hey guys, what would you say is the most representative resource for what the actual exam would be like? Medify, official website, etc. Thank you :smile:
Original post by AMG2013
For students that have done Kaplan or any other courses with tuition included, would you say it was worth it. What did you you feel you got out of it that you wouldn't have by just studying yourself?
I'm considering it for next year (need all the help I can get, can manage straight As at uni and yet flunk this bloody test!) but as an independent student, it's a big outlay. I'd be willing to pay it if it was worth it.
Appreciate any feedback on this 😊

The material from Kaplan was alright - the interface doesn't fully mimic the UKCAT. Medify is much more better in terms of material imo for price.

The best thing I got out of the Kaplan course was their SCANS methodology. Even then, this is accessibly so easily online and in fact the ISC guide for AR imo was better.

However, I don't think it was terrible by any margin, just it was quite expensive and definitely not best value for money. But I did benefit from the bit of practice they offered!

However, a lot of people found Kaplan to be amazing. It's good, just doesn't offer anything can't get from the internet or much cheaper

2 is really good! Some medical schools don't look at it at all and some don't interview anyone with band 4. Unis like Edinburgh use it a lot but other unis I've seen barely use it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by L1234567
Hey guys, what would you say is the most representative resource for what the actual exam would be like? Medify, official website, etc. Thank you :smile:

I have used many different books and watched this thread for a while. Medify is definitely amazing. It's in the same format as ukcat which books don't have I had a problem doing well in the books I was using but couldn't transfer to the computer system. Plus it gets you used to the format and and the onscreen calculator for QR. And it's really cheap too. I was reluctant to buy something like that but I'm really glad I have because I've improved a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending