The Student Room Group

Imperial college - medicine 2018 entry

do you think I can get into imperial medicine with 7A's and 4B's. is it worth applying please help. !!
(edited 7 years ago)
If you had high predicted grades at A-level and a really good BMAT then maybe but it would be best to email the admissions team at Imperial and see what they say :smile:
Original post by ZH786
do you think I can get into imperial medicine with 7A's and 4B's. is it worth applying please help. !!

There are no GCSE requirements for Medicine at Imperial anymore. It will depend on other factors like your PS, A-Level predictions, interview performance and (most importantly after A-Level predictions), BMAT score.
Very helpful. Thanks.
Bump

🌺🐧
Original post by grace_wh
Hey! I've just started year 12, hoping to apply for medicine in 2017/18

GCSEs - 5 A*, 4 A's, 1 B AS/A2 Levels - Chemistry, Biology, German, EPQ (all linear courses)

Work experience / Voluntary
- 7 days in a research lab at a university studying Alzheimers
- 2 years at an Oxfam charity shop
- hopefully get a GP's & shadowing in dermatology
- volunteer in a care home
- volunteer in a caring role at my local hospital
- holiday volunteering at a deaf blind children's camp
Hobbies/ Extra curricular:
- Music:
-Grade 6 piano
- Grade 7 trombone
- school orchestra
- school swimming team captain
-underwater hockey
-school hockey & swimming team
Potential universities providing I achieve what I wish to achieve: Manchester, Southampton, BSMS, QM UOL, Imperial College, Edinburgh.

Could anyone tell me a) if I have a realistic shot at medicine at all and/ or b) where they would recommend for me to apply with my GCSES? Thank you!!

Hey Grace,

I'm a first year medical student at Imperial and I absolutely think that you definitely have a shot at medicine, especially at all the unis you have listed. Just make sure to do really well in your UKCAT and your BMAT (well, at least a fair amount above average) and with a solid personal statement, you should definitely be able to secure an interview.

By the way guys, me and a few friends at Imperial were thinking of maybe holding a day event for potential medical students and going through methods and revision tips for passing the UKCAT, BMAT and interviews, and how to formulate a strong personal statement, but we were wondering if a demand for this is even there. We were also thinking of going over the general process of applying, and what work experience/extra-cullicar activities would place a candidate in a strong position, and also over what first year of medical school at Imperial is actually like. Do you guys think an event like this would be useful, or is it perhaps to early/late with regards to the admission process?
Original post by ZH786

I think that 7A's and 4B's certainly don't prohibit your entry (well at least to Imperial, which weighs GCSE's relatively lightly compared to other unis), but as they are not ideal, strong A-level predictions and BMAT score are necessary to stay competitive. Also, a friend of mine with one less B than yourself was able to gain entry into Leeds medical school, but from what I remember, he smashed through his BMAT, and so I'm sure your in a strong enough position so far to apply.

Good luck
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Vasopressin
Hey Grace,

I'm a first year medical student at Imperial and I absolutely think that you definitely have a shot at medicine, especially at all the unis you have listed. Just make sure to do really well in your UKCAT and your BMAT (well, at least a fair amount above average) and with a solid personal statement, you should definitely be able to secure an interview.

By the way guys, me and a few friends at Imperial were thinking of maybe holding a day event for potential medical students and going through methods and revision tips for passing the UKCAT, BMAT and interviews, and how to formulate a strong personal statement, but we were wondering if a demand for this is even there. We were also thinking of going over the general process of applying, and what work experience/extra-cullicar activities would place a candidate in a strong position, and also over what first year of medical school at Imperial is actually like. Do you guys think an event like this would be useful, or is it perhaps to early/late with regards to the admission process?

I think that's a great idea😁 I would really benefit from it as I want to apply to Imperial also
I think that 7A's and 4B's certainly don't prohibit your entry (well at least to Imperial, which weighs GCSE's relatively lightly compared to other unis), but as they are not ideal, strong A-level predictions and BMAT score are necessary to stay competitive. Also, a friend of mine with one less B than yourself was able to gain entry into Leeds medical school, but from what I remember, he smashed through his BMAT, and so I'm sure your in a strong enough position so far to apply.

Good luck

Hey is it that operation medical school thing? A few guys from year are going to that?
Hey Grace,

Please do! I don't live in London but I'm willing to come down for useful events like that
Two BMAT dates this year.....

- Saturday 9th September 2017
- Thursday 1st November 2017

Probably better to take the earlier exam (unless also Oxford applicant).......and know BMAT score pre-application? Or will it be too close to UKCAT?
Reply 12
Original post by Smelter-belter
Hey is it that operation medical school thing? A few guys from year are going to that?

I got an email as well, and I'm thinking of going. Did you go to last one?

Guys, has anyone been to the Operation mEdical School event things (opmedschool.eventbrite.co.uk), and is it good?
Hey guys, just wondering if you're planning to do the BMAT in September or November?
Hey guys, currently a 3rd at Imperial.

If people are interested in workshop events that help out with applications, an educational society at Imperial does one every year called POTMED. When I was in year 13 my brother told me about it and I went; it was one of the most helpful resources for my medicine application, and it wasn't just specific for Imperial too so it's quite useful in general. They have current medical students go through your personal statement 1-on-1, and they give you mock interviews too all with feedback. It was quite cheap when I went, only £20, which is a lot less than what professional companies charge + you get a cheeky free lunch :colondollar:

Just search POTMED 2017 on facebook or google and I'm sure you can find it. If people are really interested I can find out more + links and contact emails since I some friend are on the committee, so just let me know if you guys want to.

Don't mean to step on your toes Grace.
I'm considering Imperial College for medicine, but am worried because I don't have a single volunteering placement. Should i just find a place at a care home in time for an interview, because I know such a placement will mean that you're left with a better idea of medicine or should i just leave it?
Original post by Tsar101
I'm considering Imperial College for medicine, but am worried because I don't have a single volunteering placement. Should i just find a place at a care home in time for an interview, because I know such a placement will mean that you're left with a better idea of medicine or should i just leave it?

Hey, I hope I'm not too late:smile: My advice would be to definitely go for the care home placement. Number 1, it would provide you with the environment to develop some skills such as empathy, teamwork etc.. When I applied for Medicine last year, I found the care home placement really enjoyable,but also gained some valuable experience in engaging with the elderly or patients with dementia.

Number 2, make sure to mention in your interview that you are planning to continue on with your voluntary placement, because you want to portray yourself as a committed individual.

Lastly, remember that if you do go for the voluntary placement, the Interviewers want to know what sort of skills you developed/ took from it. So make sure to reflect on some of the skills that you learnt and always relate them back to medicine. This is generally more important than mentioning how long you did your work experience for.

Hope that helped :h:
Original post by Tsar101

Hey, I was unable to get a volunteering placement at a carehome and so volunteered at a primary school instead.https://diaryofamedicalstudentuk.blogspot.ae/2017/09/normal-0-false-false-false-en-gb-x-none.html this tells you about it. What I would suggest for you is to find something and to ensure that in your statement you mention that you hope to continue this throughout the year and beyond... It can be really rewarding too, I still help at the school even though Im done with UCAS now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending