The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineering Applicants - 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chemgawd99
GCSE 1A*6A2B AS Maths - A Physics - A Chemistry - A Further maths - B (I hate D1) Should I take all 4 subjects to A2 or study A2 maths, physics and Chemistry and retake AS further maths? I know that I also need a good personal statement which I am working on but I don't think I will be able to apply to the Cambridges and the Imperials

Depends, do you think you'll be able to handle 4 subjects at A2? A B in FM isn't a big deal and you can still get a better overall grade in FM if you do better in your A2 modules.

However, 4 subjects at A2 is definitely more work and unless you're applying to the likes of Cambridge or Imperial, doing 4 is rarely worth the time as most unis will only care about having 3 subjects.
Original post by NeverLucky
Depends, do you think you'll be able to handle 4 subjects at A2? A B in FM isn't a big deal and you can still get a better overall grade in FM if you do better in your A2 modules.

However, 4 subjects at A2 is definitely more work and unless you're applying to the likes of Cambridge or Imperial, doing 4 is rarely worth the time as most unis will only care about having 3 subjects.

yeah I think I will keep to 3 A2 and try and do the impossible... 3A*'s and I will retake D1 for AS further maths to get an A which shouldn't be a problem (just had a bad day)
Results day was alright - I couldn't be bothered celebrating that night even tho literally everyone in our year were out in town hahaha but I just got back from V Fest and that was amazing. I got A*A*A*A in Maths, FM, Chemistry and Physics respectively which I was very happy with albeit I was slightly annoyed that the A was 1 UMS from an A* so I'm getting it remarked. I also got a C in the EPQ but we don't talk about that :wink:

I applied during A2 for Chemistry but I decided I wanted to do Chemical Engineering instead. I also got rejected from Cambridge post-interview so I wanted to reapply with my A2 grades. I've managed to secure an industrial placement via the YINI scheme so I will be spending the next year working in industry.

Your grades are great! So many people would love to have grades like that. For example, I've spent the last few days offering advice to someone who got BBE in their grades and so obviously their options are somewhat limited in terms of further education. Tho, I am surprised that they would reject you only cos of a B in FM especially as you got an A* in Maths - it's a difficult subject compared to normal Maths. Maybe consider also during something like AS Physics if you feel like your workload is a bit low? What else are you planning on doing during your gap year?

Im planning to phone up some local engineering or science related firms to sort out some kind of temporary work experience placement, alongside it I'm going to volunteer at my local volunteer ran library but that obviously isnt related to chemeng at all (but then again chemeng work experience is extremely hard to come by unless you plan way in advance). My personal statement last year was complete garbage (just wrote about how i 'read' a chemeng book and my chemistry coursework) and it got me 4 offers (imperial rejected me because I wasn't predicted 2 A*s, worth a try lol), but this time I'm worried that little stuff wont cut it considering how I didnt get in last time. My personal statement is literally my only hope rn, depending on it a lot to get the offers that I need (im really keen on going to Bath but they rejected me already). After ucas is done though its straight to the books for me for my resits, then travelling europe after :smile:

Edit: so are you doing the year in industry this academic year? Whats required for it (did your amazing results get you yhe placement?)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by pusha a
Im planning to phone up some local engineering or science related firms to sort out some kind of temporary work experience placement, alongside it I'm going to volunteer at my local volunteer ran library but that obviously isnt related to chemeng at all (but then again chemeng work experience is extremely hard to come by unless you plan way in advance). My personal statement last year was complete garbage (just wrote about how i 'read' a chemeng book and my chemistry coursework) and it got me 4 offers (imperial rejected me because I wasn't predicted 2 A*s, worth a try lol), but this time I'm worried that little stuff wont cut it considering how I didnt get in last time. My personal statement is literally my only hope rn, depending on it a lot to get the offers that I need (im really keen on going to Bath but they rejected me already). After ucas is done though its straight to the books for me for my resits, then travelling europe after :smile:

Edit: so are you doing the year in industry this academic year? Whats required for it (did your amazing results get you yhe placement?)

Just FYI man, I am on a placement year at Manchester atm. I had average grades (65% avg.) and I managed to beat out other applicants who had 70%+ averages. Its more about how you perform at the interview and how good your CV and covering letter are.
Original post by Cheesy Taters
Just FYI man, I am on a placement year at Manchester atm. I had average grades (65% avg.) and I managed to beat out other applicants who had 70%+ averages. Its more about how you perform at the interview and how good your CV and covering letter are.

lol i am on about applying to university, there are no cover letters and cvs in ucas applications. grades are very important but after you go past them then the ps is what separates you from the rest
Congrats on your results!! A B in Chemistry is still a great result considering it's considered to be one of the hardest A-Levels! You'll have a decent chance of at least being invited to interview if you decide to apply to Cambridge I believe. I thought I did horribly in D1 (like legit 60-70/100 UMS) and somehow I managed to get full UMS in it... I literally stared at it for a few seconds cos I couldn't actually believe I got that in one of the most pointless modules in existence imo. It's perfectly fine to drop Biology if that is what you wish. You won't be disadvantaged as long as you can meet the entry requirements in the 3 subjects. Maybe also consider dropping Biology and doing AS Physics in a year?

Yeah, I mean all you need is some unbranded pot noodles and you're sorted for a year hahaha. Or just get your future uni mates to cook for you :biggrin:

Thank you, I'm very relieved with my results and I don't plan on resitting any exams I don't think. Enjoy your holiday - you deserve it and try not to overthink about your results too much. Just apply with the grades you have and you've always got a chance at the top unis.

I'd say Medicine is always a worthwhile career to consider but it's not always right for some people. I think it's a good sign that you've decided it's not right for you and that you have your mind set on Chemical Engineering now.

Thank you! I just got back from Spain so sorry for not replying earlier :P

I hope so, I'm definitely going to work hard for that pre interview assessment to make my application look more competitive. I also hope I get predicted A*A*A (I'll see if I can convince my teachers to predict me an A* in further maths haha)

The thing is I thought I did so much better in D1 😂 oh well I'm not touching any decision units this year thank God. Congratulations on the full UMS though! I'll see what my school say, I think doing AS Physics would be good since I've also done M1 which looked like it made up quite a lot. If they don't I'll probably drop Biology and use the frees to self teach.

Haha oh gosh idk if I can live off pot noodles. I'll have to get my flatmates to cook for me 😌 I could learn but I feel like there's better things to do.

Ah well I know Cambridge is a bit of a long shot but I'll regret it if I don't apply. Birmingham and Manchester are both pretty good for chemeng (I wanted to apply to Imperial but idk if I can afford to live in London). Ugh I have to go back to school September 1st and sit through UCAS talks, I'm kind of sick of them haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WhatIsSleep
Thank you! I just got back from Spain so sorry for not replying earlier :P

I hope so, I'm definitely going to work hard for that pre interview assessment to make my application look more competitive. I also hope I get predicted A*A*A (I'll see if I can convince my teachers to predict me an A* in further maths haha)

The thing is I thought I did so much better in D1 😂 oh well I'm not touching any decision units this year thank God. Congratulations on the full UMS though! I'll see what my school say, I think doing AS Physics would be good since I've also done M1 which looked like it made up quite a lot. If they don't I'll probably drop Biology and use the frees to self teach.

Haha oh gosh idk if I can live off pot noodles. I'll have to get my flatmates to cook for me 😌 I could learn but I feel like there's better things to do.

Ah well I know Cambridge is a bit of a long shot but I'll regret it if I don't apply. Birmingham and Manchester are both pretty good for chemeng (I wanted to apply to Imperial but idk if I can afford to live in London). Ugh I have to go back to school September 1st and sit through UCAS talks, I'm kind of sick of them haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha hope you've had fun on holiday. You needed it seeing as you're starting Yr 13 :tongue:

I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to revise for the pre-interview assessment...I think given enough time I'd be able to answer all the questions but the timing is ridiculously tight. I might not be able to even answer half the questions in the time given especially as I'm usually a slow starter in exams (I quite literally stare at the exam in a daze for the first 5 minutes).

D1 is virtually useless anyway hahaha, thanks I honestly have no idea how I managed to get full UMS. I swear I had completely left the last few questions cos I ran out of time. You'll be better than me if you self-teach it during frees haha. I honestly don't think I used a single free I had last year productively. I always just snuck out of school to go to the shop or something during frees hahaha.

Don't worry, I'll cook for you if we both get into Cambridge hahaha. Have you looked at what college you might be applying to btw?

Yeah, the fact that you're in a position to even consider applying to Cambridge is an achievement in itself. Manchester has never appealed to me for some reason so I don't think I'll end up applying there. Imperial does have a significant bursary and you do get a greater maintenance loan if you live in London so that shouldn't be the only reason to not consider Imperial because it is one of the best unis in the world (and there's an argument that can be made that it's the best in ChemEng in the UK). 1st Sep? That's really early haha I don't think I've ever seen school start of the first day of September...I start work on the 5th which means I have to actually move next week. Only thing is I haven't actually done any planning and I really have no idea what I'm doing hahaha
Just ordered 'Introduction to chemical engineering- tools for today and tomorrow'. Obviously I won't be able to read it all before my PS is sent off, so I will just say something like "In reading intro to chem eng, I was interested by..."
Original post by richpanda
Just ordered 'Introduction to chemical engineering- tools for today and tomorrow'. Obviously I won't be able to read it all before my PS is sent off, so I will just say something like "In reading intro to chem eng, I was interested by..."

It's not that long - you can easily read it in a week or two if you wanted to. And you don't have to send your UCAS application until at least October anyway. You can always say you've read it completely and make sure you've finished reading it by the time you get to any interviews.
It's not that long - you can easily read it in a week or two if you wanted to. And you don't have to send your UCAS application until at least October anyway. You can always say you've read it completely and make sure you've finished reading it by the time you get to any interviews.

That's what I was planning to do. Out of interest, seeing as you are also applying for chem eng via NatSci at Cambridge, which college are you applying to? And how did you decide?
Haha hope you've had fun on holiday. You needed it seeing as you're starting Yr 13 :tongue:

I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to revise for the pre-interview assessment...I think given enough time I'd be able to answer all the questions but the timing is ridiculously tight. I might not be able to even answer half the questions in the time given especially as I'm usually a slow starter in exams (I quite literally stare at the exam in a daze for the first 5 minutes).

D1 is virtually useless anyway hahaha, thanks I honestly have no idea how I managed to get full UMS. I swear I had completely left the last few questions cos I ran out of time. You'll be better than me if you self-teach it during frees haha. I honestly don't think I used a single free I had last year productively. I always just snuck out of school to go to the shop or something during frees hahaha.

Don't worry, I'll cook for you if we both get into Cambridge hahaha. Have you looked at what college you might be applying to btw?

Yeah, the fact that you're in a position to even consider applying to Cambridge is an achievement in itself. Manchester has never appealed to me for some reason so I don't think I'll end up applying there. Imperial does have a significant bursary and you do get a greater maintenance loan if you live in London so that shouldn't be the only reason to not consider Imperial because it is one of the best unis in the world (and there's an argument that can be made that it's the best in ChemEng in the UK). 1st Sep? That's really early haha I don't think I've ever seen school start of the first day of September...I start work on the 5th which means I have to actually move next week. Only thing is I haven't actually done any planning and I really have no idea what I'm doing hahaha

Sorry for the late reply, I was using the sr app and it's honestly so useless I didn't even get a notification that you replied

Ah I'm not ready to start school again. I feel like I should be revising for exams now if I want to be hitting those A*s :biggrin:

I'm not sure about it either, haha I'm the same; sometimes I make pencil notes but sometimes I just stare at the paper and the clock. I feel like I'm going to have to do well because of that B >:frown: but the test's in November so I feel like that's plenty of time to revise. Haha I actually do work during my frees though I feel like I'm going to become one of those y13s that tell the y12s to shut up in the study room ffs

Definitely taking you up on that offer haha :wink: And hmm I don't think I'd go for something like Trinity because you get a lot of tourists and I can imagine that being annoying. Emmanuel looks appealing since they do your laundry for you haha and I actually quite liked the look of Caius. I stayed in Newnham during a school trip to Cambridge but I don't think I'd like it (it was kinda creepy haha albeit beautiful). I heard though that the new ChemEng building is further from accommodation than the current one so idk how to feel about that. How about you?

I sincerely hope that I don't get rejected without an interview, though. If I do, I don't think I'll be too disheartened since I'd be pretty happy going to Imperial or even Birmingham, but I'd love it if they at least gave me a chance haha. Ah good luck with your move, I hope everything goes to plan. You should definitely update me on how your first day at work goes

On youtube I just found the ChemEng Stanford lectures and was wondering if you've watched them? If you have, are they any good? I think they'll help me with background research/reading but I don't want to spend 6-10 hours watching lectures I won't learn from.
Original post by richpanda
That's what I was planning to do. Out of interest, seeing as you are also applying for chem eng via NatSci at Cambridge, which college are you applying to? And how did you decide?

I think it's between St John's and King's. However, you have to do a test at interview and have more interviews at St John's and I'm not sure if I can be bothered doing that hahaha so I think I'm leaning towards King's. I just read up on all of the colleges and those 2 appealed to me the most. What about you?

Original post by WhatIsSleep
Sorry for the late reply, I was using the sr app and it's honestly so useless I didn't even get a notification that you replied

Ah I'm not ready to start school again. I feel like I should be revising for exams now if I want to be hitting those A*s :biggrin:

I'm not sure about it either, haha I'm the same; sometimes I make pencil notes but sometimes I just stare at the paper and the clock. I feel like I'm going to have to do well because of that B >:frown: but the test's in November so I feel like that's plenty of time to revise. Haha I actually do work during my frees though I feel like I'm going to become one of those y13s that tell the y12s to shut up in the study room ffs

Definitely taking you up on that offer haha :wink: And hmm I don't think I'd go for something like Trinity because you get a lot of tourists and I can imagine that being annoying. Emmanuel looks appealing since they do your laundry for you haha and I actually quite liked the look of Caius. I stayed in Newnham during a school trip to Cambridge but I don't think I'd like it (it was kinda creepy haha albeit beautiful). I heard though that the new ChemEng building is further from accommodation than the current one so idk how to feel about that. How about you?

I sincerely hope that I don't get rejected without an interview, though. If I do, I don't think I'll be too disheartened since I'd be pretty happy going to Imperial or even Birmingham, but I'd love it if they at least gave me a chance haha. Ah good luck with your move, I hope everything goes to plan. You should definitely update me on how your first day at work goes

On youtube I just found the ChemEng Stanford lectures and was wondering if you've watched them? If you have, are they any good? I think they'll help me with background research/reading but I don't want to spend 6-10 hours watching lectures I won't learn from.

Haha it's fine, I don't think the notifications are working anyway on the website in general. Honestly, I feel like how much work you do at the start is irrelevant at the end. Tho that might just be me cos I've always crammed at the end and that hasn't failed me so far. :biggrin:

Yeah I think I might just not really prepare for it and just go in on the day. The good thing is the content itself is pretty basic so there isn't much to learn really so it's just being able to do them quickly. I don't think I've ever gone to the study area in our school hahaha - I'm honestly hopeless, I have no idea how I'm gonna survive uni let alone Cambridge.

Yeah you'll regret that decision when I end up giving you food poisoning :biggrin: I'm definitely leaning towards King's atm cos I just get the impression that it's a really chill college like its version of the May Ball is all fancy dress and stuff. However, I also really like the look of St John's. Its May Ball is apparently one of the best and the accommodation all looks really nice and modern. I just don't know if I want to do another test at interview and I think you have to do more interviews at St John's as well.

I don't think you would with those grades. They interview the majority of candidates that they think have a good chance of getting in and your AS grades means you have a good chance of getting one. If you do well on the pre-interview assessment, then I think you can guarantee yourself on an interview. Yeah same, I think realistically, I'm going to be rejected post-interview at Cambridge but I don't mind going to Imperial at all cos I'd love to live in London. I'm moving down in literally a few days and I start next Monday. I'll definitely update you on how my first day goes hahaha. It's funny cos I only just got a car recently and I've never driven on the motorway before so I have no idea how I'm gonna be able to drive down there by myself hahaha.

I have seen them and I have watched the start of like the first one haha. I just found it started really slowly and I don't think it's that useful unless you're there physically listening to the lecture. It just doesn't feel right watching in on YouTube at home - nothing seems to go in when I'm at home haha.
I think it's between St John's and King's. However, you have to do a test at interview and have more interviews at St John's and I'm not sure if I can be bothered doing that hahaha so I think I'm leaning towards King's. I just read up on all of the colleges and those 2 appealed to me the most. What about you?

Emmanuel, Christ's, maybe peterhouse?

Haha it's fine, I don't think the notifications are working anyway on the website in general. Honestly, I feel like how much work you do at the start is irrelevant at the end. Tho that might just be me cos I've always crammed at the end and that hasn't failed me so far. :biggrin:

Yeah I think I might just not really prepare for it and just go in on the day. The good thing is the content itself is pretty basic so there isn't much to learn really so it's just being able to do them quickly. I don't think I've ever gone to the study area in our school hahaha - I'm honestly hopeless, I have no idea how I'm gonna survive uni let alone Cambridge.

Yeah you'll regret that decision when I end up giving you food poisoning :biggrin: I'm definitely leaning towards King's atm cos I just get the impression that it's a really chill college like its version of the May Ball is all fancy dress and stuff. However, I also really like the look of St John's. Its May Ball is apparently one of the best and the accommodation all looks really nice and modern. I just don't know if I want to do another test at interview and I think you have to do more interviews at St John's as well.

I don't think you would with those grades. They interview the majority of candidates that they think have a good chance of getting in and your AS grades means you have a good chance of getting one. If you do well on the pre-interview assessment, then I think you can guarantee yourself on an interview. Yeah same, I think realistically, I'm going to be rejected post-interview at Cambridge but I don't mind going to Imperial at all cos I'd love to live in London. I'm moving down in literally a few days and I start next Monday. I'll definitely update you on how my first day goes hahaha. It's funny cos I only just got a car recently and I've never driven on the motorway before so I have no idea how I'm gonna be able to drive down there by myself hahaha.

I have seen them and I have watched the start of like the first one haha. I just found it started really slowly and I don't think it's that useful unless you're there physically listening to the lecture. It just doesn't feel right watching in on YouTube at home - nothing seems to go in when I'm at home haha.

I'm definitely trying not to cram this year though I know I'll end up doing it :frown:That's true tbh I didn't really remember all of the revision I did for mocks when it came to AS exams, but I still feel like I should brush up on some year 12 content.

I'm glad the content is pretty basic but I feel like the application of it will be hard/they'll expect you to get 100% haha. And whoa, never? Damn, I'm wondering how you got all those A*s :wink: we have a silent area which is super helpful when I want to get stuff done, and sometimes I go to the library (Birmingham library is so nice omg)

Haha food poisoning is just another excuse to skip lectures :biggrin: And honestly I may just send an open application because I'd probably be pooled anyway (if I make it that far!) And St. Johns sounds so competitive, an extra test? No thanks :tongue: Though idk I kind of like the sound of the more traditional colleges, I think though some of their traditions may be annoying/odd haha

Ah good luck driving on the motorway haha, it seems scary. I only just started driving lessons and honestly it's harder than I thought though I know it'll get easier. I never fully considered Imperial before, but after looking at their prospectus and the league tables I'm starting to really like it.

I watched some of the first one and as I was reading comments there was one that said "skip to 25 mins to start learning" which was almost half the lecture haha (I agree, it was kind of slow). However, the lecturer is quite good, he makes little jokes which is nice and he speaks about chemcial engineering almost like it's magic.

School starts tomorrow and they said they'd email out timetables (WHICH THEY HAVEN'T) so I'm currently refreshing my email, still waiting. Hopefully they don't send them out at some ridiculous time haha
hello, I am predicted AAA (Chem Maths, Econ/Bio). Gcse: 1A* 6A 3B do i have a good chance of getting accepted into the Meng chem course?
Original post by beulwis22
hello, I am predicted AAA (Chem Maths, Econ/Bio). Gcse: 1A* 6A 3B do i have a good chance of getting accepted into the Meng chem course?

Yeah depends on where you're applying though
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
Yeah depends on where you're applying though

UCL (I will give it a go), Manchester, Nottingham, Bradford, Swansea/Sheffieldare these realistic options for me?
UCL (I will give it a go), Manchester, Nottingham, Bradford, Swansea/Sheffieldare these realistic options for me?

Yeah most of those require AAA and not really any gcse (except the usual 5 A*-c stuff etc) probably just check their websites to make sure

Posted from TSR Mobile
thanks man. i am just a bit nervous about this whole uni thing
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
Yeah most of those require AAA and not really any gcse (except the usual 5 A*-c stuff etc) probably just check their websites to make sure

Posted from TSR Mobile
thanks man. i am just a bit nervous about this whole uni thing

Don't worry, we're all here to help you. If you have any questions about applying to uni or anything, feel free to ask.

Quick Reply

Latest