The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Accommodation swap

Does anyone want a hiatt baker single with a basin catered room? I would like to swap for either a Badock, single with no basin, wills shared or any self catered halls in Stoke bishop. I would really like to be self catered. I'm just worried I won't be able to afford hiatt baker.
Original post by honeysugar
Does anyone want a hiatt baker single with a basin catered room? I would like to swap for either a Badock, single with no basin, wills shared or any self catered halls in Stoke bishop. I would really like to be self catered. I'm just worried I won't be able to afford hiatt baker.

You're going to have to get a part-time job to pay for the funding shortfall. Keep at trying to swap rooms because it can (and does) happen from time to time, but realistically you need an insurance plan if you're forced into Hiatt Baker Catered.

Rent: £7,105
Loan: £3,600

Shortfall: £3,505

Working 15 hours per week @ 7.35 an hour = shortfall covered

I had to work 20-30 hours per week in second year, which I wouldn't recommend as it resulted in poor grades/no social life/alcoholism etc.

The maintenance loan is a joke though :P. Bristol also like to hike the price of halls up every year, knowing they've got a captive audience of some of the richest students in the country. When came to Bristol my hall cost £5000 a year, two years later it costs £6600 :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Original post by Random_PC_Errors
You're going to have to get a part-time job to pay for the funding shortfall. Keep at trying to swap rooms because it can (and does) happen from time to time, but realistically you need an insurance plan if you're forced into Hiatt Baker Catered.

I had to work 20-30 hours per week in second year, which I wouldn't recommend as it resulted in poor grades/no social life/alcoholism etc.

The maintenance loan is a joke though :P. Bristol also like to hike the price of halls up every year, knowing they've got a captive audience of some of the richest students in the country. When came to Bristol my hall cost £5000 a year, two years later it costs £6600 :biggrin:

Do you know any places where I could work? I wanted to do a Saturday job so that I could kind off focus on school work and do some volunteering. I want to send my application of as soon as possible so I have something waiting for me when I get there. Does Bristol have any funds which could help? there's a hardship fund but I don't know how that works tbh.
is hiatt baker catered even good? I really wanted self catered but It was just my
luck I suppose.
Reply 3

Also, how much are nights out roughly?
Do you know any places where I could work?

I worked in a supermarket, bars/cafes/retail/restaurants are all options. I can't tell you were to go for a job, you're going to have to go out into Bristol and start hunting (or applying online in the case of larger companies/chains)

Does Bristol have any funds which could help?

There is a non-means tested fund available. I've never taken it (used to piss me off a bit seeing Rah's access it whilst I worked a stupid number of hours each week) but the details are available online once you've got your student log in details.
Is Hiatt Baker Catered even good?

The buildings are a tad grim (not as grim as some city centre residences), location inside Stoke Bishop is great, good facilities (sports grounds/bar/etc), the people tend to be privately educated but it's quite a sociable hall generally speaking.

Normal Nightclub (Lounge/Bunker/SWX etc): Ticket £5/Pre-drinks £8/Club drinks £10/Taxi £15 (if you're sharing) = Around £30

Rave (Lakota/Motion/BlueMountain etc):
Ticket £20-30/'Drinks' £10/Taxi £15 = Around £35-50

The latter is objectively better in my opinion :P
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Do you know any places where I could work?

I worked in a supermarket, bars/cafes/retail/restaurants are all options. I can't tell you were to go for a job, you're going to have to go out into Bristol and start hunting (or applying online in the case of larger companies/chains)

Does Bristol have any funds which could help?

There is a non-means tested fund available. I've never taken it (used to piss me off a bit seeing Rah's access it whilst I worked a stupid number of hours each week) but the details are available online once you've got your student log in details.
Is Hiatt Baker Catered even good?

The buildings are a tad grim (not as grim as some city centre residences), location inside Stoke Bishop is great, good facilities (sports grounds/bar/etc), the people tend to be privately educated but it's quite a sociable hall generally speaking.

Normal Nightclub (Lounge/Bunker/SWX etc): Ticket £5/Pre-drinks £8/Club drinks £10/Taxi £15 (if you're sharing) = Around £30

Rave (Lakota/Motion/BlueMountain etc):
Ticket £20-30/'Drinks' £10/Taxi £15 = Around £35-50

The latter is objectively better in my opinion :P

Thank you so much! I might have to look into the fund. Is it something we have to repay or is it like a bursary? I don't want to take out any more loans than I have to tbh. And do people go out every night? Or is it more during the weekend or weekday? I need to make some money but I don't want to blow it all on parties tbh. I'll send some emails out to try and get a job sorted. Also, I don't think I'll buy textbooks. Do you think its worth buying a printer for university. Thank you
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you so much! I might have to look into the fund. Is it something we have to repay or is it like a bursary? I don't want to take out any more loans than I have to tbh. And do people go out every night? Or is it more during the weekend or weekday? I need to make some money but I don't want to blow it all on parties tbh. I'll send some emails out to try and get a job sorted. Also, I don't think I'll buy textbooks. Do you think its worth buying a printer for university. Thank you

Do people go out every night?

No ones got the stamina for that :biggrin:. Normally people go out a lot at the start of the year, then less later in the year. Although the longer you've been in Bristol the better you get to know the scene so it becomes a bit of a quality over quantity thing by the end of the year. If you manage to find 7-days-a-week party people put me in contact with them! As a third year I can safely say that freshers is ****, you'll then go through a period of questioning whether you want to be at University post-freshers for a few weeks. However, by the end of first year you'll have settled in and will be enjoying yourself. University only gets better over time.

I believe it's a bursary that you don't pay back.

I've managed to survive without a printer thus far, but my school does provide free printer credit each year which has been stacking up nicely :P.
Reply 7
Do people go out every night?

No ones got the stamina for that :biggrin:. Normally people go out a lot at the start of the year, then less later in the year. Although the longer you've been in Bristol the better you get to know the scene so it becomes a bit of a quality over quantity thing by the end of the year. If you manage to find 7-days-a-week party people put me in contact with them! As a third year I can safely say that freshers is ****, you'll then go through a period of questioning whether you want to be at University post-freshers for a few weeks. However, by the end of first year you'll have settled in and will be enjoying yourself. University only gets better over time.

I believe it's a bursary that you don't pay back.

I've managed to survive without a printer thus far, but my school does provide free printer credit each year which has been stacking up nicely :P.

Phew. I didn't want to buy a printer. Do the halls tend to have parties? Like IVE heard hiatt baker is a party hall but I don't know how they manage to the parties are??
Phew. I didn't want to buy a printer. Do the halls tend to have parties? Like IVE heard hiatt baker is a party hall but I don't know how they manage to the parties are??

Biggest flat party I ever saw was 200+ people in the Hawthorns. Stoke Bishop ones can get larger. I'm in Hiatt Baker self catered block next year (before anyone asks no you can't swap with me :biggrin:) and wouldn't mind if there were parties going on tbh. I just can't stand normal nightclubs which is why I'll be lying low over freshers week.
Biggest flat party I ever saw was 200+ people in the Hawthorns. Stoke Bishop ones can get larger. I'm in Hiatt Baker self catered block next year (before anyone asks no you can't swap with me :biggrin:) and wouldn't mind if there were parties going on tbh. I just can't stand normal nightclubs which is why I'll be lying low over freshers week.

hahahaha, damn on swapping HBSC.

Also, side note: thank you so much for answering our questions! You and return migrant have been so helpful.*
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10

Thank you for the help! I'm just so nervous about starting! I've accepted the offer but can I pay the accommodation in full or do I have to do the instalments?
You're so lucky getting HBSC! i'll probably try and get into the house parties :smile:
Thank you for the help! I'm just so nervous about starting! I've accepted the offer but can I pay the accommodation in full or do I have to do the instalments?
You're so lucky getting HBSC! i'll probably try and get into the house parties :smile:

You can choose to pay in full or in instalments. :smile:

''You're so lucky getting HBSC'' It's not really luck, second and third years who move back into halls can have whichever hall they like. You can even specify a room or block you want to be in hence why people like us tend to get the best rooms :P

Although 99% of people still in halls would have rather moved into a flat share, it does add a little perk to moving back in which is nice.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending